MotoGP

SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of not searching through this thread...

How many people have been to a live MotoGP race?

I’ve been. Even had the privilege of being in the pit area. Also went to the SA F1 GP. And.....already have my Abu Dhabi F1 tickets for Nov/Dec :-) But, so much more on the bucket list!!

Haven't seen any specific WSBK thread recently so just posting this here ...

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/world-superbike-fim-lowers-maximum-rpm-limit-for-ducati-panigale-v4-r/

Yeeeah, I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make to AB's clear and distinct advantage over everyone else, considering CD's clear lack of it. Yes yes different settings etc etc but same motor. Same track. 9 races. On. The. Trot. All with very large gaps between him and whoever comes 2nd. He fits that bike like a glove. And it shows.

Haven't seen any specific WSBK thread recently so just posting this here ...

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/world-superbike-fim-lowers-maximum-rpm-limit-for-ducati-panigale-v4-r/

What a joke!!!!

BTW, Ducati have done testing with 1000rpm knocked off and it made virtually zero difference to lap times. Good luck to the rest but Alvaro is just so far ahead of them on talent with that package.......

I love how he doesn't let off either because he wants to know how the bike behaves on worn tyres at the end. Would be easy to ease off and make the wins more respectable so they didn't tinker with the rev limits.

Me.  MotoGP in 1984 (Lawson won on the Yammie)

Also attended a practice round of WSBK , not sure which year it was (Nitro Nori was still on the Yammie then)

edit= I also attended a GP practise round somewhere in the 80's. 

Edited by Wannabe

I hope this doesn't become a Schumacher moment, where the powers that be keep changing (and ruining) the sport to 'limit' a rightfully strong team/driver back.

It took the better part of 3 years for them to knock off the same revs on the Kawasaki.....

I see Honda getting 500rpm, I think that is good and will be interesting to see the progress from it.

I won't lie, I didn't know each brand had their own rev limit.

I thought you were given all the limits first, and then you build an engine and bike around it.

I *think* it comes down to where the engine delivers peak power, and then is tweaked from there. So, after this, add 500 to Honda and reduce Duc by 250. 

2019 Season-Starting WorldSBK Rev Limit Table

Aprilia   14,700 rpm

BMW     14,900 rpm (50 rpm less than last year’s model)

Ducati   V4 16,350 (all new engine for 2019)

Honda   14,550 rpm

Kawasaki           14,600 rpm (500 more than 2018 model)

MV Agusta        14,950 rpm

Suzuki   14,900 rpm

Yamaha 14,700 rpm

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Here we go.... Better explanation for those like me who were wondering how they get the numbers:

Mark Bracks: So the changes for the year, what do they entail and what do they mean?

Scott Smart: “Basically we’ve got a bunch of new riders on a bunch of new bikes and as a result they need starting points for the revs. The way the revs starting point works; you take the street bike, check where the rev limiter is, which is the most horrifying thing on the dyno runs in the factory, and that gives us standard street bike max revs, and we add three per cent to that and it gives us a figure. “We also do a bunch of dyno runs and step tests to let us know to the nearest 100rpm to where the maximum power is. We then add 1100rpm to that, and of those two figures we use the lower ones. That way none of the manufacturers can put a fake really high rev limiter in it. We get basically a sensible point of the power curve to define the rev limit, relative to the street bike.”

Mark Bracks: That answers the question everyone is asking me, why the Ducatis have so many more rpm to play with…

Scott Smart: “So basically when you rev that thing on the dyno, it’ll go to 16,500rpm in top gear, unreal – you’ve never seen it before in a 1000cc superbike. So in most gears it’s 16,000rpm, and top gear is up to 16500rpm. Almost like over-run, I don’t want to even think what speed you could do on the thing, and it also makes quite a lot of horsepower doesn’t it.

“If we based it on 16,000 or 16,500rpm plus 3 per cent we’d be 16,500-16,600 plus, or 17,000 in top, but that would be unrealistic, as the bike makes its peak horsepower at 15,250, so we add the 1100 to that, and get 16,350rpm, which is where we set the rev limiter and that seems pretty reasonable. But it does seem to be ripping down the straight quite quickly.”

At the risk of not searching through this thread... 

How many people have been to a live MotoGP race?

I have, at Silverstone for the whole race weekend.  Was great!  Wish I had gone to more while i lived there.