MotoGP

SeaBee

From motorsport.com:

Rossi also gave the firmest hint yet that he intends to remain in MotoGP beyond the end of his existing contract with Yamaha, which expires at the end of the year.

"I'll take part in five or six races [before deciding whether to stay] but I'm fairly convinced I'll spend the next few years with Yamaha," he said.

"Then that will be enough as I am getting white hair. However at 39, I could take part in a few car races like the Le Mans 24 Hours or the Dakar Rally."

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Yamaha, never said in what capacity.

Possibly racing in MotoGP or WSBK. Maybe even management capacity as he has signed agreements with Yamaha to be supplier for his VR46 team.

With Yamaha, never said in what capacity.

Possibly racing in MotoGP or WSBK. Maybe even management capacity as he has signed agreements with Yamaha to be supplier for his VR46 team.

There's no way he'd go to WSBK. Firstly I think the series would implode with such a huge star. And anyways. Why bother stepping backwards? The ONLY motivation would be to be the first rider to win WSBK and Moto-GP Titles.

I can actually see him going to 4 wheels. Remember he tested a F1 Ferrari and was fast to the point where a switch was considered. 

If I remember correct the thinking was he'd be fast enough to compete, but not be the freak of nature he was and is on a bike. 

"Ducati test rider and ambassador Casey Stoner is present in Qatar, ready for a private test on Monday. He could step in to take the place of Petrucci at Pramac Ducati. He won’t, though, Ducati have decided. That is a real shame, however understandable."

Damn it Ducati, give the fans what they want!!!

This comes as quite a shock actually. Not that Rossi re-signed, but that his contract got finalised before Jorge's.

DEFECTION! (You heard it here first)

JL's manager has confirmed that they an offer (best they've seen) on the table from Yamaha, but will it more thought before deciding whether to sign.

Edit: link added

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/lorenzo-has-offer-to-extend-yamaha-deal-on-the-table-680786?lang=en

Think Yamaha might regret it if they lose JL. Yes VR has the marketing and consistent speed but just not that same edge as he had years ago. Not against the current crop of riders.

Anyway, it means both Tech3 riders will probably get the boot if JL stays as Yamaha will need the space for younger riders.

Disappointed but not surprised......

Lorenzo was flying in Quali, fast laps straight off the bat!! MM also seems to have sorted himself out, although maybe not race pace. Vinales looks good!!

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Think Yamaha might regret it if they lose JL. Yes VR has the marketing and consistent speed but just not that same edge as he had years ago. Not against the current crop of riders.

Anyway, it means both Tech3 riders will probably get the boot if JL stays as Yamaha will need the space for younger riders.

Disappointed but not surprised......

Lorenzo was flying in Quali, fast laps straight off the bat!! MM also seems to have sorted himself out, although maybe not race pace. Vinales looks good!!

I cant disagree more......if my memory serves me correctly, i saw MM coming off second best in a couple of scraps with Rossi. I think his biggest problem is qualifying...if he sorts that he will be in the mix as much as anybody else.

I do feel though that Rossi lost a bit of hs edge when he when his great mate Simo died and he had to deal with that injury that he had during the same time and had an op done.... but i think last year is the first time that he got over all his demons and we should see him improving this year

Edited by KingTJ

So you still actually believe the shoulder injury while at Ducati which coincided conveniently with the inability to "fix the Ducati in 80 seconds"?? Anyway, everybody has their opinions.

Nice little war of words, see JL has come out saying it was easy for VR to sign as he had no other offers so didnt have a choice, Rossi then said Lorenzo wont leave Yamaha because that would take balls......

So you still actually believe the shoulder injury while at Ducati which coincided conveniently with the inability to "fix the Ducati in 80 seconds"?? Anyway, everybody has their opinions.

Nice little war of words, see JL has come out saying it was easy for VR to sign as he had no other offers so didnt have a choice, Rossi then said Lorenzo wont leave Yamaha because that would take balls......

Steve, that Duc was a DOG. You could see the dwindling results when Stoner was still riding it. If you're still using that 2 year period as  "proof" that Rossi was past his sell by date, or that he's not a great racer & developer, then that's really silly.

He's been at the sharp end of the racing for a very long time, and still is. He's been 2nd to 2 remarkably gifted riders in the last 2 years, one of which is an absolutely unstoppable force when he's out in front by himself. Lorenzo is the solo-lap champion. Unquestioned. Marquez can race, but he's immature and needs to rein in that temper of his. 

Rossi? Yes, he had that one incident last year, but he's still very consistent. He also manages to keep with the younger guns who have been getting quicker and quicker. 

One point though. He's not a good qualifier, and that hurts his racing in the first few laps as he often has to push harder to catch the rest of the front-runners. 

But no, he's not past it. His results should be enough proof of that.