[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Van Gaalens

Tim_Fair

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Attention all hub hardmen with mad skillz

Am I allowed to call myself a proper mountain biker now or am I disqualified cause I walked some?

Answers on a postcard please.

first time doing this on 1x10 11/34 back and 34 front so its a good indication of whats possible and if another gear can help

wasnt a grazy climbing race , but a 36 or even 38 back would help with climbs on a 1x10

aspecially that last climb after the church - the rest was all good on this ratio

Sheesh, well ridden then dude. I wanted to have a 34t x 11-36 for this one, but wasn't enough time to get it done before Saturday. I am very very grateful for it. Managed to get up concrete strips in 32(front)x34, but needed granny (24x36) to keep my feet in the cleats for Greek & Bliksem (almost). Gonna stick to my 3x10 for a few more months :whistling:

Very lekker race, really enjoyed it. Went over the handlebars once at the 34km descent and lost my line in some traffic 10m before the top of Bliksem which ended in an ungraceful lateral dismount. First marathon @ VG, and I was WAY too optimistic and unfit to think I could do it in around the 4h mark, am happy with 4h54. The 10 minute intervals worked great, loved the lack of congestion on the ride. And the floating bridges were awesome! :w00t: saw some footage of some swimmers last night... wouldn't have minded a bit of cooling down at the old floating bridge near the start of the River trail.

Attention all hub hardmen with mad skillz

Am I allowed to call myself a proper mountain biker now or am I disqualified cause I walked some?

Answers on a postcard please.

Post cards are expensive !!!! WDF said you not allowed to walk ?

My 4th race at Van Gaalens, my 3rd full marathon at VG, and it just doesn't seem to get any easier. I blame it on my hibernation in winter and my first race of the year.

2011: 4h36

2012: 5h07

2013: 5h26.

I have no idea how the seeding works, but they put me in E batch, and there were people in E for whom this was their first full marathon?! There were even okes in takkies riding in E. My SA Seeding index is 48.

Last year I rode the technical descent by the satellite station, had more confidence on my 140mm Stumpjumper Elite 26" than I do on my new Stumpjumper 29", still getting used to the 29er geometry and I feel my center of gravity is much higher now (need to invest in a seat dropper ASAP).

Having said that, riding the section wasn't really an option as there was a queue of people walking in front of me, and to be honest, this time I was more than happy to walk it as my confidence just isn't what it used to be. Saw quite an old guy with his arm in a sling, he had a broken shoulder and cracked ribs.

If I could critique this descent without getting flamed, I feel it is a bit too rocky and loose, there were some loose boulders that could've been cleared out the way as hitting those head on can make you lose your stability. Guess rocks are something we must get used to in the Highveld, which is why I prefer riding KZN trails (berg and bush etc. much less rocky).

Last year I managed to climb the first climb all the way to the top, this year slipped on the rocks right at the top and didn't make it much to my disappointment. My heart rate was maxed out, this hurt me later on as I had absolutely nothing left in the tank for Jou ma se blixem. It was like a battlefield with people passing out under trees and swearing. Loved the single track along the river to the finish and then had a nice 3km "cool down" ride back to my mates house at the dam.

I hated the new climbing section alongside the rode up to the satellite, too bumpy to get any momentum. My back was killing me after that section.

To the two big guys, one on the Cube and the other on a black Canondale Scalpel (I think he owns Epic sports or something), was cool riding with you guys along the flat roads with the strong wind in our faces, being pulled along when I needed it :thumbup:

When riding this event I always hate it and promise never to do it again, but if you're up for a challenge there's nothing better.

Question: Is the satellite descent not open year round? Would like to go practice sometime.

P.S. That banana bread was friggin amazing.

Thanks to Advendurance for another fantastic marathon race, its always going to be a challenge and there will be blood, sweat & tears involved - but remember that this is ALL self inflicted!!

Special thanks to the team with Mankele shirts for fixing my rear tyre (after 50 guys past without blinking) at the first waterpoint. I owe you lots of beers in Mankele in October!

P.S LOVE that MTBers have the best attitude and are open to a laugh despite the tears (especially at the Greek Church!)

Thanks to Advendurance for another fantastic marathon race, its always going to be a challenge and there will be blood, sweat & tears involved - but remember that this is ALL self inflicted!!

Special thanks to the team with Mankele shirts for fixing my rear tyre (after 50 guys past without blinking) at the first waterpoint. I owe you lots of beers in Mankele in October!

P.S LOVE that MTBers have the best attitude and are open to a laugh despite the tears (especially at the Greek Church!)

You do realize that we will all be sitting in the pub at Mankele in our shirts come Oct ?

I have no idea how the seeding works, but they put me in E batch, and there were people in E for whom this was their first full marathon?! There were even okes in takkies riding in E. My SA Seeding index is 48.

Heh, hey, don't diss the people in their takkies. I purposely swopped my cleats with flats for this race, and i loved it ;-). I was having a nice comfortable jog in alot of places where everyone was slipping and sliding with their cleats on the rocks. Of course my flats was the proper ones with screws in it.

Heh, hey, don't diss the people in their takkies. I purposely swopped my cleats with flats for this race, and i loved it ;-). I was having a nice comfortable jog in alot of places where everyone was slipping and sliding with their cleats on the rocks. Of course my flats was the proper ones with screws in it.

So, at some point in the race, I was pushing my fancy schmancy bike, and a guy on his 19-voertsêk full-sus-coiled-26er and Hi-tek's comes riding past me in normal pt shorts, and a t-shirt.

So never diss the tekkies, they might just be a better cyclist than you.