[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Van Gaalens

Tim_Fair

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've promised Gerhard that I'll ride as a cow next year, but I'm going to add the condition that it won't be in a suit - that'll kill me :(

i believe fitness has a lot to do with the COW suit, then pace yourself if you keeping that thing on, 2 layers of clothing is luke warm at least. "A day of suffering in my life is hard to compare to a kid living with cancer" is what i keep telling myself, not that i'd race a marathon in a COW suit :blink:

From the race description on

http://advendurance....es/trailseeker3

"This is an extreme challenge, especially when the area is blessed with rain. We offer 8.54 km, 17.3km, 35.6km and 66.1km routes of extreme mountain bike exhilaration that is not to be underestimated by even the most extreme mountain bikers."

Sounds pretty clear to me. The word "extreme" is only used 3 times in once sentence. It's no secret that Van Gaalen is technical. I don't think there's any misrepresentation.

I hope they don't dumb it down. Then it becomes just another "dirt-roadie" race. There's plenty of these on offer. If people want real mountain biking races, which they do, they must expect to be challenged technically. I for one relish the challenge. And if one's skills are found wanting that's an incentive to brush up on them in the mean time and come back better prepared next time round. Or go do easier events that are known to be less technical.

Coming from a roadie background, don't make the marathon any easier, i believe all marathons should challenge the rider in endurance & rider ability. The warning signs are there, be prepared to check your O-ring, you choose to try ride it or get off and walk it. I started in E group so with the longer breaks between groups, a slightly later start but a lot less congestion, still got held up in a few bottle necks but that's always expected, don't think i walked stupid distances cos of a lemmings Q. If you want a easy ride at VG, enter the Nashua Ladies Day, you pay more but you'll suffer less :whistling:

:clap: Just what I needed on a monday morning . Did the race last year so not to sure how it was this year but I heard rumours that is was tougher than the Monster :eek: . Awesome they should make all the races like that , so what if we loose a few woozies , it may actually be good for the sport .

My 1st Monster this year and my 1st VG Nissan as well, it's Magalies, it's always going to be tough, i definitely suffered more @ Monster, was better prepared for VG. Both worthy MTB races, the technical stuff is what keeps me excited.

Think i'll do the Rhino this weekend cos VG is awesome & i need the last bit of race pace efforts before 3T :D

Tim & Eric, thanks for an awesome race!

If you want a easy ride at VG, enter the Nashua Ladies Day, you pay more but you'll suffer less :whistling:

Easy? The only thing that seemed easy about that race was me apparently. Chicks were pinching my ass. I am not just some piece of meat. I have feelings, you know. :cursing:

And I suffered. Rob from the Leverage Corp got hold of me and made me down tequila on stage... :wacko:

Easy? The only thing that seemed easy about that race was me apparently. Chicks were pinching my ass. I am not just some piece of meat. I have feelings, you know. :cursing:

JUST HATE IT WHEN WOMAN TREAT MEN LIKE MEAT, ITS FUNNY HOW THEY THINK WE LIKE IT!!!!

What crap, sorry dude but this is absolute BS

1. HTFU

2. If you cant ride it, walk it

3. make sure you carry enough hydration for yourself and fill up at the stops if need be

4. Get some technicals skills or go ride a skinny wheeled bike on the tar

Dont even think of dumbing down a great route because some people cant ride it.

I thought it was perfectly managable, I loved every second of my 69,8km it was a proper mountain bike race, not a dirt road race

Step aside Chuck Norris, we have a new tough guy in the house. Not only that, it would seem that the two gents who did us proud in the TDF are somehow inferior to him because they ride skinny wheels and don't ride down the rocky side of mountains all day.

We all love the sport dude, take it easy.

Step aside Chuck Norris, we have a new tough guy in the house. Not only that, it would seem that the two gents who did us proud in the TDF are somehow inferior to him because they ride skinny wheels and don't ride down the rocky side of mountains all day.

Nothing about tough guy mentioned anywhere, I stated simple facts but if you are offended, clearly the shoe fits....

I wasnt the only one who rode it, must your mommy remind you to roll up your sleevies so you dont get foodies on them?

Whats the okes on TDF got to do with my comment?

If you want to ride the easy race, ride the shorter distances, dont take on the big one and then whine about it because its too hard or too rocky.

I can understand where Norris is coming from.

Thus I spend time on my skinny wheels rather, I know my limit and accept my lack of skill.

Makes it too complicated.

I reckon to make life simple, age category in every year.

So a 19 ,20, 21, 23, 24..........category and so on till the oldest competitor.

Then facial hair or non facial hair category within the age group.

And lastly 26 inch or 29 inch wheels.

That leaves four winners per age.

I'm still not gonna win anything, could we add in weight and star signs too please :blush:

Yoh!!! how far has this gone, page 45 already. What ever happened to just enjoying the ride irrespective if you can or cant do technical.

Isn't that what mountain biking is all about, if at first you don't succeed try again.

I think SeanN has a very good point guys complain when a ride is flat and boring that they want something more technically challenging. Now they are complaining that it was too technically challenging.

yes but ... perhaps its only fair to warn people more at the start, considering a lot of them are newbies, and don't know what they don't know.

As I said, the 10 mins in the pens could have been used for this, instead of that Johnny trying to make empty conversation

What a joke he was! Think he just didn't know what to do, wonder what happened to Arnie, he was good last year.

Been going up and down the thread and can't help but get annoyed with the comments regarding the "technical"... I am by no means a Philip Buys when it comes to technical skills but seriously, if you did the 40km or less, there wasn't really something in the race to write about. And then comments about "briefing riders before the race", do you need a hearing aid?

Riders need to be honest with themselves and go to skill clinics and ride a lot more before going to these major events if it was too tough for them. We finally have organizers in the form of Advendurance that host real MTB events in and around Gauteng and still we have complaints... Go and enter any other race and you will quickly see the difference.

I 100% agree with SeanN.

!!!! HTFU !!!!

We have Cherise smiling away and showing her bruises and then a couple of 'Men' crying about a rock or 2.... Hakahana has descents that are going to kill you if you thought this was bad so stop training on a spin bike in the gym, join a club or group of riders and get out there and challenge your skills. The organizers are true mtb'ers themselves so luckily it is not going to get softened up...

And for my final rant, if you are new, please don't think it is ok to stop on the route at any given time and do whatever you need to do. If you need to catch your breath, have a drink or you want to walk, lappaside china.

Hope to see everyone who isn't bitching about the route at Hakahana...

I think SeanN has a very good point guys complain when a ride is flat and boring that they want something more technically challenging. Now they are complaining that it was too technically challenging.

I don't agree with that idiot. He thinks is so good and so fast, and can ride every obstacle, and, wait....erm, he can.

Makes it too complicated.

I reckon to make life simple, age category in every year.

So a 19 ,20, 21, 23, 24..........category and so on till the oldest competitor.

Then facial hair or non facial hair category within the age group.

And lastly 26 inch or 29 inch wheels.

That leaves four winners per age.

Hahaha.

The facial hair / non facial hair might deliver a few more candidates to the original Male Category.

Above all of the categories above they can also add 5 kg weight intervals.

:devil: Just because I am fat doesn't mean I don't deserve to win. :ph34r: