Argus 2014

vaalkol

At Home.

Dead tired after riding Extra and then Some!

Hi, Frail, you passed us in Camps Bay and we chatted briefly.

I dropped back from L group to ride with my brother and his 14 year old son in GA, starting just after 9. It was my nephew's first ride and we snuck in under the highly sought after 6:30 mark.

It is a very different experience at the back and my time was two minutes off twice what it took me last time. Great day had by all

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I must say, next year I won't be afraid anymore to tackle a windy Argus. Yes, it was hectic for us blokes that don't get to ride enough, but it was not that hectic. I hated Sunny Valley the most, and the wind past Llandudno and in Camps Bay was hectic and frightening. At one time my bike came to a complete stop without me applying brakes.

Started in A, felt like race only started at Smits. I was able to hang on to front until chappies and then managed to catch some of the group after suiker bosie. 2:52. Very happy.

Then did another lap, stopped to see friends and wifey. Took extra tubes, so helped out stranded people and pushed people up all the hills :) 4:30, great fun :)

What was going on in the VA sprint where a tandem caused a crash just next to Cherise? What on earth was it doing there? The TV commentators had nothing to say about it at the time.

and the wind past Llandudno and in Camps Bay was hectic and frightening. At one time my bike came to a complete stop without me applying brakes.

Had a similar experience. Found that I had to keep pedaling even downhill just to keep moving. Also had one gust push me about a meter sideways, lucky there was nobody next to me.

No sms tracker available this year. I phoned and asked really stupid if u ask me. Possibly they did him a favor.

No sms tracker available this year. I phoned and asked really stupid if u ask me. Possibly they did him a favor.

Actually there is/was one. SMS your race number to 38119.

Arg thanks. I wish the women on the phone told me that.

Yes, and I wish the marshall at the point at Smits could have told me that, then I would have known that my son was 10m ahead of me.

After Suikerbossie could not wait to get to finish to get something decent to eat. Had enough of bananas ,gel .choc bars etc etc for a while. Will take a picnic next year

What was going on in the VA sprint where a tandem caused a crash just next to Cherise? What on earth was it doing there? The TV commentators had nothing to say about it at the time.

Saw the crash on the TV just now. Don't think you can blame the tandem. It was a small group for a change and should've been incident free. But sometimes life happens.

Eish what a day and wind. Happy to grind out a 4.50 with recovering from 4 broken ribs and aching shoulder. What a day!

Heroic stuff, shaper

That B/C group was nuts! I feared for my life most of the way. Managed to stick with the front all the way to the end. 2:55 ish.

Rode in C as well, and I must have finished close to you. I actually thought the ride was quite civilized compared with some previous years, although the wind did make it hard and the combined B + C was less than ideal. There a lot of braking, but I only had to unclip once (near UCT).

The final section from Camps Bay on was also good. People rode better, and there were fewer people insulting each other. For the first time in 4 years there wasn't even a crash in front of me as we turned down to Sea Point.

One of my more enjoyable tours.