Argus 2014

vaalkol

I enjoyed my 5th Argus immensely...decided to enjoy the vibe and not race it this year...stopped at just about all the coke stands...and had 2 technical stops for a freewheelhub bearing that wanted to seize...and finished on 4hours still :thumbup:

+1000

first year of not racing. stopped at all the waterpoints, had some cold ones at every single pub where music played. The shooters in Houtbay was maybe a bad idea. We squeezed in on 5:40 odd... hic!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Racetec site.... :whistling:

Also attached the 2013 stats...although done a long time ago

E&OE

Big difference is the group sizes

There seemed to be a number of fallers just over the top of Smits. Is it because it's suddenly quite fast on a fairly rough road or what? Saw 3 or 4 incidents within no time at all.

Also, between the start and about the 10km point, I saw 9 tandems at the sides of the road with various issues. Wheels off, snapped chains, bikes upside down being worked on? What is it with tandems in the first 10 km or is it just coincidence?

Mine ended as a "value for money" exercise. Rode hard enough initially, but before halfway I've been working up front alone, with only one other guy helping, pushed into the gutter, nearly going down at speed, pushed onto the gravel, the latter both due to guys simply changing lines blindly... and I'm not the biggest. :blush:

Then I decided to just say stuff this, let them go and write themselves off. It's windy, I'm not going to ride a good race time-wise... so why not enjoy the ride?! :w00t: Went on a jol from there. Enjoyed the views, enjoyed the vibe, smile 'n wave and had fun with the people who made the effort of coming to support us, chatted to some fellow riders... In the end I rode a "bad" time, but had a great time!

If I wake up to another howler of a wind on Argus morning, I'm taking my 29er and riding in that spirit all the way. :whistling:

We parked our car in the car park of the Volvo / Jaguar dealership on the rhs just past the start line - so after the race (which we enjoyed immensely) we had to cross the start line to get back there. We went through the tunnel at the civic center. Was about 2pm I guess. My partner was literally blown off her bike. I ended up hiding her and the bikes in the lee of the building and walking/ crawling through the wind tunnel to go fetch the car. Was great fun but glad the wind wasn't like that at the start!

We started in PA. And as we hit that tunnel people were being blown off. It was like hitting a wall! We had to walk through and even that was difficult.

Thats the spirit. There are too many serious riders starting too late with the "fun bunch" yes there are loads of wobbly inexperienced riders but thats why they start late. They enjoy their ride even though they are oblivious of the 100's of accidents they nearly caused and so if you are amoung them, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. I had some young guys behind me, we were all struggling against the wind and they were having the funniest conversation about carrots and green beans. I dont know what was hardest, the struggle against the wind, or not falling off from laughing. It was hard, but so much fun

Mine ended as a "value for money" exercise. Rode hard enough initially, but before halfway I've been working up front alone, with only one other guy helping, pushed into the gutter, nearly going down at speed, pushed onto the gravel, the latter both due to guys simply changing lines blindly... and I'm not the biggest. :blush:

Then I decided to just say stuff this, let them go and write themselves off. It's windy, I'm not going to ride a good race time-wise... so why not enjoy the ride?! :w00t: Went on a jol from there. Enjoyed the views, enjoyed the vibe, smile 'n wave and had fun with the people who made the effort of coming to support us, chatted to some fellow riders... In the end I rode a "bad" time, but had a great time!

If I wake up to another howler of a wind on Argus morning, I'm taking my 29er and riding in that spirit all the way. :whistling:

Think I'm taking my 29er anyway next year. This year was not fun for me. Mechanicals, crashes, etc.

At least I have proper brakes on my 29er, and can bunny hop the sidewalk. :)

That was my most hectic Argus ever, started in C group, with B group only starting a minute up on us, they were never going to stay away, we caught them going up Hospital Bend after about 5 minutes. The fact that the organisers didn't think / didn't care that this would happen baffles me. With the tail end of B probably only going over the start line after 30 seconds, then having to cross from the mountain side there was a tiny gap which was never going to hold.

This made for a huge group, I am amazed that there were only minor crashes, fortunately Smitswinkle sorted things out a bit, with the B / C group hauling buttock over the top and along to Soetwater. Smaller groups from there out made the ride a bit more enjoyable. Minor mechanical near the end cost me a sub three, but just happy to have survived without breaking something.

What a blast! Shaved 1 hour off last year's time :clap:

Rode like an absolute demon. :devil:

Thankfully the wind wasn't that bad, but I guess that was consolation for starting in OD. ^_^

BTW, thanks FRAIL for the chat up Smitswinkel. Before I knew it I was passing people left, right and centre keeping up with you :thumbup:

Tough race but also went by quickly. Managed a personal best of 3:26 from L. Guess training in the wind most of the year helped me out on the day. :whistling:

Race was hard with the wind. I was sitting nicely in the bunch till my front derailleur broke on Smitswinkel. I stopped and waited. I guy came and help "thank you for that" We removed my broken derailleur so I only had my small blade. About 40-50 min later a restarted the race. After that I just cycled to the finished and enjoy my day on the bike.

Question: The guys on motorbicycles filming - where can some of the footage be seen? Is it on the internet somewhere, or is it a local tv-channel?

I believe there was footage on one of the DSTV channels, and if you were with the ladies winners there will probably be some footage of you too. There should be a highlights package some time as well. I don't imagine it'll be available on the net though, so you'll probably need to get somebody to record it for you.

Have a look at the DSTV web site for more details. I'm sure somebody will have recorded the live coverage too if you ask around.

Edited by Organic

So many nervous riders in Group E, i'm no seasoned professional but riders were very edgy, dropping water bottles and slamming on anchors for no apparent season. Managed to avoid two crashes on Wynberg hill

Now that Argus is done am I correct in saying that the road races are done for now. Next big race is Knysna Argus? Bring on the mtb races.

Wow, what a hard day in the saddle! Started in YY at 8.45 and our group (648) was huge! Avoided a crash HALFWAY up Wynberg Hill , whole row of riders going down infront of me.

Wind was ok untill we hit Fishhoek. Was quite a struggle passing the slower riders untill we reached Smitswinkel. Going down Scarborough was a breeze trying to make up for lost time. Chappies I climbed without any hassles, but boy oh boy, going down to Houtbay was terrifying!

Was hopping sideways as the windgusts was blowing me around like a ragdoll. Loved being blown up Suikerbossie, and then going down Llandudno I had to pedal or I would come to a dead stop. By that time I was "in my moer". Up side is I managed a 40min improvement from last year, but man, I am so sore this morning. So, all in all a very eventfull day.

Also so proud of my dad who did his first Argus at age 60, and managed a 4:49! And ofcourse hubby doing a fantastic 3:06.

Taking a 2 month break from cycling, and getting ready for the 2 Oceans, and Safari half Marathon's.

See ya all next year!

Edited by Micky Mouse

There seemed to be a number of fallers just over the top of Smits. Is it because it's suddenly quite fast on a fairly rough road or what? Saw 3 or 4 incidents within no time at all.

Also, between the start and about the 10km point, I saw 9 tandems at the sides of the road with various issues. Wheels off, snapped chains, bikes upside down being worked on? What is it with tandems in the first 10 km or is it just coincidence?

Most of the accidents I saw were due to:

1) MTB's hoggin the middle of the road and faster groups splitting to go around them. Someone always had to hit the brakes due to not seeing the slow moving brick on the MTB

2) stoopppid ijuts weaving between riders at 60km/hr from Smits to Scarborough. Eventually the inevitable happened