Argus 2014

vaalkol

3:00:20 for me.

So very bummed! :cursing:

When did you start your garmin? The mats was some distance away from where they let us go from. Sure it takes a good few seconds from when the gun goes to the moment you cross the mats. If you started your timer before the gun went.....

Either way. Cracking time. Well done.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great ride but the cross winds were a bit hectic! lol

My friend rode in the same group as Miguel Indurain!

When did you start your garmin? The mats was some distance away from where they let us go from. Sure it takes a good few seconds from when the gun goes to the moment you cross the mats. If you started your timer before the gun went.....

As I understand it everybody's start time for that particular group is the same. The first mat just confirms that you started in that group.

I might be wrong, but I think your time starts when the race starts, not when you cross the mat.

As I understand it everybody's start time for that particular group is the same. The first mat just confirms that you started in that group.

Beat me to it!

3:00:20 for me.

So very bummed! :cursing:

Group C caught B just before UCT, I think. We could see them leaving Town, so it was a good target to chase. it was pretty tense after that, with riders kerb to kerb. My brake pads are worn down - it was brake/sprint all the way to Smitswinkel. I saw 2 relatively minor crashes on the M3. Hope there were no more and those who did crash heal up quickly.

Very happy to get to the finish unscathed and chill in the Nedbank tent :thumbup:

That B/C group was nuts! I feared for my life most of the way. Managed to stick with the front all the way to the end. 2:55 ish.

I might be wrong, but I think your time starts when the race starts, not when you cross the mat.

You're spot on, crossing the mat merely registers your transponder.

You're spot on, crossing the mat merely registers your transponder.

Oh, no. Please go look at last year's 94.7 thread. This was debated at much length. I actually think the arguments started there led to the arguments a bit later on that led to the ban hammer coming out.

I was in L group, looked very serious, one guy had a big head wound

The crash in L group was the most serious i have seen that I can remember in 26 rides. The reason being there were quite a few women and children involved. We seemed to catch the social tandems which seem predominantly to have a good male cyclist at the front who has decided to ride now with his wife or child, so even thought they are 'social' they hit the non-technical downhills at speed.

Problem to me seemed to be the 'stokers' saw the Blue Route as the first opportunity to drink, sit up, feed and a number of them were relaxed, hands off the bars etc as we approached the downhill toward the lowest part of the Blue Route.

The moment one went down the rest were in a mess and it got ugly at the front, but those trying to stop a tandem at full speed from behind with an inattentive stoker just ploughed into those on the ground.

It was terrible to see the women and kids in panic.

We then had another crash just before we left the Blue Route, by that time it was quite a bit smaller.

I think they need to look at those social tandem seedings.

Hope they get well soon..

The crash in L group was the most serious i have seen that I can remember in 26 rides. The reason being there were quite a few women and children involved. We seemed to catch the social tandems which seem predominantly to have a good male cyclist at the front who has decided to ride now with his wife or child, so even thought they are 'social' they hit the non-technical downhills at speed.

Problem to me seemed to be the 'stokers' saw the Blue Route as the first opportunity to drink, sit up, feed and a number of them were relaxed, hands off the bars etc as we approached the downhill toward the lowest part of the Blue Route.

The moment one went down the rest were in a mess and it got ugly at the front, but those trying to stop a tandem at full speed from behind with an inattentive stoker just ploughed into those on the ground.

Have you ever been on a tandem?

Have you ever been on a tandem?

yebo - and your point with respect to this particular incident ?

Oh, no. Please go look at last year's 94.7 thread. This was debated at much length. I actually think the arguments started there led to the arguments a bit later on that led to the ban hammer coming out.

There is no argument, and shouldn't have been on the 94.7 thread last year. The gun starts each group, it's uniform, one start for everbody. Race distance is measured from where the wheels of the front riders start turning. You'll see the upper alphabet groups race instantly after it goes off. Mat to mat racing is illegal.

Social tandems was TT, starting almost 2hours after L. That seeding is fine because it contained me. Think you are talking about slow racing tandems?

There is no argument, and shouldn't have been on the 94.7 thread last year. The gun starts each group, it's uniform, one start for everbody. Race distance is measured from where the wheels of the front riders start turning. You'll see the upper alphabet groups race instantly after it goes off. Mat to mat racing is illegal.

Agreed. This also applies to the finish. In a bunch / peloton finish all riders get the same time as the leader. The top three all got the same time for today's race cos it was a bunch finish.

That B/C group was nuts! I feared for my life most of the way. Managed to stick with the front all the way to the end. 2:55 ish.

Yoh, insane riding and super result.