Argus 2014

vaalkol

Do you realize that by them using a slower winning time, they actually are giving you a better seeding?

This is my whole point. So i am up in F Batch and the guys all drop me up hospital hill and i feel like a tit. Seems odd that the seeding is based on skewed results and not on actual performance. I get the beta thing but why not use the winners time. Just hope i can keep up with the bulk of the group.

PS you better update your PPA seeding on your Argus spreadsheet, cos after your result in the Berg n Dale you will have dropped to 16 or something...... :thumbup:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the beta thing but why not use the winners time. Just hope i can keep up with the bulk of the group.

I think they sometimes have to adjust the winners time to get the best approximation of everyone's index for a race.

They updated the 99er winning time also from 2h30 to 2h26.

Example: Say the quality of the field is not that good and someone who normally gets a 10 index for the Argus gets a index of 5 for that race for a given beta of 1.

So this guy finished in 2h37:30 and would have gotten an index of 5 if the beta is 1.

If they change the beta to 0.5 then it will result in the cyclist ending up with a index of 10 for that race.

But this will be totally unfair to the rest of the people with slower times than him.

So if you adjust the winning time to 2h26 then this guy allready have a index of 7.8 for that race.

Then you don't have to adjust the beta that much to get the best approximation for everyone's performance.

In this example, if you assign a beta of 0.78 to the race, the rider will end up with a index of 10 for that race.

There is zero mystery as to how people got GROUPED. Your index is available online, it clearly shows how strong you are compared to winning times. The GROUP values that where used to determine are also online. Eg: B is 8-13.

So yes, with an index of 12.5 you will be in VA for most of the local rides, but that because there are only 20 people with that index on those races. When you have 500 people with a sub 10 index they can't all start in the same group, so group minimum values need to be adjusted.

The group you are placed in is not your seeding, it is based on your seeding/index.

The process is about as clear as can be.

STOP BEING RATIONAL ABOUT THIS !!!!!! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

:oops:

I think they sometimes have to adjust the winners time to get the best approximation of everyone's index for a race.

Example: Say the quality of the field is not that good and someone who normally gets a 10 index for the Argus gets a index of 5 for that race for a given beta of 1.

So this guy finished in 2h37:30 and would have gotten an index of 5 if the beta is 1.

If they change the beta to 0.5 then it will result in the cyclist ending up with a index of 10 for that race.

But this will be totally unfair to the rest of the people with slower times than him.

So if you adjust the winning time to 2h26 then this guy allready have a index of 7.8 for that race.

Then you don't have to adjust the beta that much to get the best approximation for everyone's performance.

In this example, if you assign a beta of 0.78 to the race, the rider will end up with a index of 10 for that race.

If you can read this and understand it without a getting a headache, you must be a chartered accountant or an actuary! ;)

So basically, in a nutshell... If you are not seeded in elites for the Argus... It probably means you have not been winning pro races this season. Fair enough I guess :thumbup:

Howzit guys.

I want to buy a road bike in Cape Town. Is there anyone coming from Cape Town to PTA/JHB before, during or even after the argus that can maybe bring the bike back with them.

Thanks guys

Regards.

Just got the mail, now to ask the Mrs for some dosh and decide if the second lap is better than the companies hospitality tent... Hmmmm....

Gotcha

But seems they did it the other way round. Winner was actually 2:29. RI calculator used 2:36. So basically the winners get a RI of -0.4..... I get a better race index and the rest of the world is totally confused. :blink:

Think i hear a beer calling. Will race my little heart out and try not to get flamed for wheel sucking....... :devil:

Ozzie you old fart, Just because the VA's have given you and your A-group buddies a hiding in every race this season, don't get loud here

:ph34r: :whistling:

If VA aren't beating A's in a race, then they are wasting their monies on licenses. Hell I am 18 years older than most of those VA youngster, maybe I can start racing VC next year. Don't think so, the Argus might bump me into B again. :devil: (what ever this character means)

Also just got the 'invite' for the 2nd lap. Any sadists out there contemplating it?

Does the R360 for the second lap include free beer en route?

The Conundrum:

I have been officially invited to ride the Argus Cycle Tour for a 2nd time / lap this year!!!

So my question is can I play catch up. I missed the 1st 6 events, was only 5 years old at event one.

If I should get an invitation similar to the one I got this morning for the next 7 years will I be officially credited for having done more Argus Cycle Tour than their been?

The Conundrum:

I have been officially invited to ride the Argus Cycle Tour for a 2nd time / lap this year!!!

So my question is can I play catch up. I missed the 1st 6 events, was only 5 years old at event one.

If I should get an invitation similar to the one I got this morning for the next 7 years will I be officially credited for having done more Argus Cycle Tour than their been?

You should read your emails more carefully...

• Only the first lap’s result will apply towards Cycle Tour history and future seeding

Edited by Skubarra