PPA ONE TONNER 20 Oct 2013

Wannabe

Hey there,

I'm looking to do some more seeding events for the Argus and I've only come across reviews by professional cyclists for this race. How challenging is it for average cyclist? I did the argus in 4:44 and the cutoff for the one tonner is 8:30. I do helshoogte for training so it isn't the hills I'm worried about. I just don't want to be the only cyclist on the road trailing hours behind all the professionals...

its a new route this year, but unless you walk, i dont think you need to worry about the 8h30 cutoff

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be a big challenge indeed!! I'm still a bit undecided admittedly, so are there any "words of inspiration?" Any advice for the race?

Hey there,

I'm looking to do some more seeding events for the Argus and I've only come across reviews by professional cyclists for this race. How challenging is it for average cyclist? I did the argus in 4:44 and the cutoff for the one tonner is 8:30. I do helshoogte for training so it isn't the hills I'm worried about. I just don't want to be the only cyclist on the road trailing hours behind all the professionals...

Stay in a bunch on the day.

Do a few 5 hr rides to build endurance.

And to test your nutrition.

Cool new route.

May a mellow northwester blow the cyclists home.

Edited by ' Dale

'Dale your optimism is killing me! :thumbup: A North Westerly when we need it?

Agreed with Dale - long rides to build endurance, sort your snacks and stay in the bunch. And no worries, it won't only be pro's! There'll be a lot of social riders and guys training for DC there as well. Fun day out...

Cool new route.

May a mellow northwester blow the cyclists home.

Sure am hoping for that too, and gentle Southeaster to blow me out there in the 1st half. Too much to ask for, I know. I'll settle for a bunch made up of strong diesel engines.

• 1 month later...

Just entered. My 1st One Tonner. Are there batch starts? If so, when will this be advised? Gonna be tiring, but awesome!! :thumbup:

Just entered. My 1st One Tonner. Are there batch starts? If so, when will this be advised? Gonna be tiring, but awesome!! :thumbup:

Think we start in our normal PPA seeded bunches?

Think we start in our normal PPA seeded bunches?

I only joined PPA today with my One Tonner entry!! How does PPA seeding work and what does it mean???

Name: Current Index: Group Minimum: Group Limit: Eligibility: Gerhard Cruywagen 20.01 19.00 21.50 E

As per PPA.....Does this mean my batch is E?

Edited by Gerhardc

I'm feeling brave as well and entered last night too... will be my longest ride ever so not sure what to expect from the legs, trying to figure out the nutrition as well.

Not too bad fitness wise I recon... gonna be tough though I'm sure!

Name: Current Index: Group Minimum: Group Limit: Eligibility: Gerhard Cruywagen 20.01 19.00 21.50 E

As per PPA.....Does this mean my batch is E?

Yes, but they are likely to combine groups depending on the number of entrants, last year C to E rode together

Youve got a week and a half to get VERY familiar with your saddle :)

...patience...

'Dale your optimism is killing me! :thumbup: A North Westerly when we need it?

Agreed with Dale - long rides to build endurance, sort your snacks and stay in the bunch. And no worries, it won't only be pro's! There'll be a lot of social riders and guys training for DC there as well. Fun day out...

C, I hear there's a new dualie in die garage? We're doing it on the the dualies?

My first roadie race for the season :thumbup:

Can't wait....

Doing it as training ride with the DC team, think the second half slog back from Riebeeck Kasteel is so going to be tough & interesting - depending on what the wind decides to do to us that day!

C, I hear there's a new dualie in die garage? We're doing it on the the dualies?

You heard wrong - my bikes don't sleep in the garage. :P

The way you're going of late, you should do it on the dualie for me to be able to almost hold on on my road bike! :huh: Follow me, I'm right behind you...