SLX or Deore

mikethebike234

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quick question ... Shimano Cassettes hg 50 R350.00 ....SLX hg 80 R499.00 which one?

What free hub body ... a nice solid steel one or a light weight aluminium one?

What free hub body ... a nice solid steel one or a light weight aluminium one?

Mavic crossmax slr wheels ...some tell me the freehub body is steel..??

^^ JK :)

Just yesterday I was deciding between XT and SLX Rotors.

Went with SLX. Will see how it holds up.

I'm sitting with same issue.

I have a set of Easton Havens as well as a set of AM Classic MTB.

CWC doesn't have 36-11 in SLX so either I wait (for undisclosed time) or I opt for the Deore instead.

Not THAT much of weight penalty, but I was wondering how about durability? I know the SLX's last looooonnnnngggg.

http://bikescale.com...mar=14&sk=1&s=3

post-25067-0-54060700-1377161268_thumb.jpg

post-25067-0-69428900-1377161308_thumb.jpg

RANT ON

I don't understand when someone asks a question and obviously has a budget, why you would recommend something that is obviously not in budget...

RANT OFF

SLX is fantastic MIKE.

If you plan on getting a new GS after every dirty ride get XTR . The more expensive the GS gets the lighter and less durable they are . So Deore will last you a very ,very long time while XTR will not . Simple .

Still ... make sure RE your freehub body being steel or else you might end up paying much more in the future

I usually check buycycle in addition to cwc, looks like they doing the Deore for R306 (cheaper) but the SLX for R650 odd (more expensive).

My issue I bought a slx groupset, but they didn't have cassettes in 36-11 in stock when I ordered.

They sent my whole parcel without the cassette saying they will do so when the next shipment arrives.

Now the shipment arrived & they didn't receive 36-11 cassettes.

I heard the larger gears on the SLX are the same compund as XT & the smaller gears are the same compound as the deore. There is a colour difference in SLX (smaller gears) & the deore though. :blink:

Anyone know whether that info is true?

Then Deore should last as long as slx, but if you use your big gears very often then it might even outlast the SLX in that regard.

I have solid steel cluster, moer heavy, but almost not a sign of wear. Aluminium will wear out quicker, but much lighter.

BTW, Think I have a Sram cluster with my XT derailleur, which can also be an option

My issue I bought a slx groupset, but they didn't have cassettes in 36-11 in stock when I ordered.

They sent my whole parcel without the cassette saying they will do so when the next shipment arrives.

Now the shipment arrived & they didn't receive 36-11 cassettes.

I heard the larger gears on the SLX are the same compund as XT & the smaller gears are the same compound as the deore. There is a colour difference in SLX (smaller gears) & the deore though. :blink:

Anyone know whether that info is true?

Then Deore should last as long as slx, but if you use your big gears very often then it might even outlast the SLX in that regard.

You last statement is true . Never looked at the colour , mine goes black for some reason .