Power Tools

LOOK695

Thread revival!

I am in the market for a Rotary Hammer Drill. I have been shopping around and some of the pricing on the branded stuff is bringing tears to me wallet...

Realistically speaking I am looking at putting up a few shelves, a desk and a few pictures, I will be drilling through a wall or two to mount outside weatherproof plugs and maybe chiseling a groove or two to hide some plumbing. It's not going to be used every weekend and it won't be used for hours on end.

Based on the above, I have decided that as much as I would love a Makita/DeWalt/Bosch, my budget doesn't stretch that far.

I went onto the Adendorff website and found this rotary hammer made by Powerplus

It looks to be able to do what I need and the price is right. Bonus is the 13mm keyed chuck for steel bits.

Has anybody had any experience with the Powerplus Brand? 

Why not just go rent one for when you need it? Or do you want to spend money on one to have around?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread revival!

I am in the market for a Rotary Hammer Drill. I have been shopping around and some of the pricing on the branded stuff is bringing tears to me wallet...

Realistically speaking I am looking at putting up a few shelves, a desk and a few pictures, I will be drilling through a wall or two to mount outside weatherproof plugs and maybe chiseling a groove or two to hide some plumbing. It's not going to be used every weekend and it won't be used for hours on end.

Based on the above, I have decided that as much as I would love a Makita/DeWalt/Bosch, my budget doesn't stretch that far.

I went onto the Adendorff website and found this rotary hammer made by Powerplus

It looks to be able to do what I need and the price is right. Bonus is the 13mm keyed chuck for steel bits.

Has anybody had any experience with the Powerplus Brand? 

If at all possible, don't skimp on tools.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-power-tools/durban-north/rotary-hammer-drill-makita/1002403463150910020355709

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-power-tools/parow/hitachi-rotary-hammer-drill/1001279937850910434663809

Why not just go rent one for when you need it? Or do you want to spend money on one to have around?

Just seems like a good addition to the quiver. After a handful of rentals you've basically paid for a new one. I don't think it's a use twice kind of tool. Just moved into a new house so I am sure it will get some use.

I have a cheap brand (read cheapest one I could find). It does exactly what its intended to do 100%

It wont last for contractors and it is clearly not top of the line construction. It does however do the job really well. At sub R1k its paid off in time saved, and still looks new.

I have always figured if it does fail find replacement cheap one or upgrade to the proper tool.

Granted I don't have much work left to do that requires one.

I do have a proper normal Hammer Cordless drill of Brand Name for small jobs.

Just seems like a good addition to the quiver. After a handful of rentals you've basically paid for a new one. I don't think it's a use twice kind of tool. Just moved into a new house so I am sure it will get some use.

Go to cash crusaders and get a second hand bosch, dewald, hytachi or any other majoy brand for R1000.

I went in and looked at Hytachi (spelling?) one, was in very good nick. Went back a month later and told the sales man it had been on the shelf for more than a month. Give me a discount. Got it even cheaper :)

Was cheaper than a new normal drill and it works perfectly on the wall.

Only down side was had to spend the money I saved from the drill on a box set of drills :wacko:

For 'decent' wall / concrete drilling there is no substitute for the SDS Plus technology.  That's a type of shank that goes into the drill, clips in, positive locking. Of course you will need special bits, but you also get chipper bits that don't turn.

For drills you get what you pay for and its also about duty cycle. For occasional use then a Adendorff special will do, I would get that before Ryobi junk.

Bosch Blue is the dogs bollox though for regular or commercial work.- I've had for years, they are real workhorses. 

A rotary hammer is substantially better at drilling than a normal impact drill, having said that I have done just fine with my super cheap Ryobi for the last few years. 

In the market now for a proper rotary hammer and will probably end up getting a Bosch, I like tools that last a long time.

To add: I would also say get an Adendorff el cheapo before buying a second hand one from a pawn shop, you have no idea how it has been used, what the condition of the brushes / commutator / bearings etc its probabably a tuurd unless you really know your game, and an overpriced one at that.

Edited by kosmonooit

Here we go, a nice kit with some SDS Plus bits

POWERPLUS POWX1170 Hammer Drill 750 W

R 1,395.00

https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/powerplus-powx1170-hammer-drill-750-w/

That comes with convnetional type of of chuck that can be use as well

They have a Makita drill only for R2595. that is a good brand

They are quite good with warranty as well

Yes that is the same one I was asking about (I posted the link). It is half the price of the Makita as well.

I saw a Bosch Blue for just over R2100 but it didn't have any bits or the chuck adapter.

I have a Bosch Blue hammer drill that has served me well but unfortunately used a mate's rotary hammer the other day. Now I know what I have been missing out on.......

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Grebel

This Bosch drill,

http://www.bosch-professional.com/za/en/impact-drill-gsb-16-re-226567-06012281k1.html

on special at Makro R 999.00. 750 W 

Thanks but that is a std hammer drill. (Same as the one that I have at the moment)

This is the one I saw

http://www.bosch-professional.com/za/en/rotary-hammer-with-sds-plus-gbh-2-20-d-131445-061125a400.html

Edit: The Powerplus is rated at 750W and can drill bigger holes in concrete. 26 vs 20mm

Impact strength is also higher 3J vs 1,7J

Edited by Grebel

This Bosch drill,

http://www.bosch-professional.com/za/en/impact-drill-gsb-16-re-226567-06012281k1.html

on special at Makro R 999.00. 750 W 

Yes that is the same one I was asking about (I posted the link). It is half the price of the Makita as well.

I saw a Bosch Blue for just over R2100 but it didn't have any bits or the chuck adapter.

I have a Bosch Blue hammer drill that has served me well but unfortunately used a mate's rotary hammer the other day. Now I know what I have been missing out on.......

Edit: Spelling

Bosch Blue, Makita, Metabo all much the same class, great tools if you need that level but for occasional DIY use that Adendof kit is excellent value for money, go price those SDS bits seperately at Builders you will be shocked!

btw Builders tends to be overpriced. Mega Mica (at Eastgate) had much better prices.

Bosch Blue, Makita, Metabo all much the same class, great tools if you need that level but for occasional DIY use that Adendof kit is excellent value for money, go price those SDS bits seperately at Builders you will be shocked!

btw Builders tends to be overpriced. Mega Mica (at Eastgate) had much better prices.

Yes I know..... I had to buy a 14mm SDS bit..... R171 for a Ruwag bit and there were more expensive ones hanging up!

btw If you are drilling into clay /cement brick the 'ole hammer drill is okey, but  cement / concrete you really need SDS Plus type drill

btw If you are drilling into clay /cement brick the 'ole hammer drill is okey, but  cement / concrete you really need SDS Plus type drill

I dunno hey.... My old house used to eat cheap masonry bits. They knew how to make bricks in the old days! I drilled a few holes in my new house with the hammer drill and it took some effort. With that Rotary hammer and the SDS bits however..... felt like cheating!! I seriously thought that there was something wrong with the bricks! Mounted some equipment in the garage and drilling a few 14MM holes into the slab for rawl bolts was a one handed operation!