94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

this will be my first...

I'm planning to get to the finish and maybe get a sub 4 hour :clap: :clap: hehehe,thinking it will be a long while before I attempt joining the sub 3 hours club...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad was a cyclist his whole life and him and i would have raced the 94.7 together this year. He sadly passed away last year Nov.

So i'll be riding the race in honour of him

I will be riding for my dad too....he passed away in Feb this year and the race is a week before his 73rd birthday.

I'm having special kit made for that day with a photo of my dad standing with his bike. It will only be worn that one day... washed and framed

you are bringing tears to my eyes.....

I am riding my first 94.7 this year on my mtb. and will be using slicks. Trying hard to get fit for the event. I did 46km at kyalami track last weekend with the knoblies

Any tips for the 94.7? Im also registered for the mtb event a week before

I'm also doing my first and probably last one this year. MTB with knobblies, they are due for replacing anyways.

Will see how training goes....but I think I'm just gonna enjoy the day. Only really started training last weekend after a month of doing zero, so not expecting too much at this stage.

The knobblies is only one issue - the other is the upright sitting position, especially on the highway if the wind gets up. Makes it more of a challenge. I would still not take a camelback because there are LOTS of tables.

. I would still not take a camelback because there are LOTS of tables.

Isnt it a pain on the butt to get something from the tables?

Mind you having a camelbak could also be a pain. In the 2012 K2C I skipped the 1st two waterpoints "want ek het mos my camelbak". Ended up bombing and cramping completely at 56km's.

I might get me one of those top tube bags and take a water bottle and make use of the waterpoints?

this will be my first...

I'm planning to get to the finish and maybe get a sub 4 hour :clap: :clap: hehehe,thinking it will be a long while before I attempt joining the sub 3 hours club...

Failed at it 2 years in a row, missed it by 6 min. Did my 11/12th last year, I'm sitting this one out.

Let's hope the organisers keep psycho wives in double cabs off the CLOSED circuit this year, driving behind an aged VB rider, hanging on for dear life and they have not even hit Witkoppen.

Guys... and girls...

I'm overwelmed with all your response messages and "likes" to my posts about my dad. Thank you for your support and care to the situation.

It's amazing to realise that many other people are going through a similar turmoil, have already had someone dear to them taken away or purely offer support in such tough times.

Here is the photo that i spoke about. This will be printed on the back of my cycling kit that i'm currently making.

Thanks again to all

post-39341-0-66091100-1377682082_thumb.jpg

Failed at it 2 years in a row, missed it by 6 min. Did my 11/12th last year.

I'm guessing I should make that a very very looooooonnnnggggg time before getting to the sub 3 club ... maybe one day :thumbup:

Edited by 007zhr

My dad passed 3 years ago. He didn't ride but he drove me to every race I said was life and death as a tacker. He sat in the car with tea and cake in Europe winter, spring and summer and high five'd me when it was good. He picked up my kit when i lost my sh*t and couldn't cope. He listened when I shouted and smiled when I won. If you can find a way to honour your da' then do it, it's a blessing.

+1

I'm also in! It was my first ever road race last year, and I really enjoyed it. Enjoyed it so much that I even did a couple more road races, like Kremetart, this year.

I rode with a mate's chip last year, started at the back of the charity bunches and did a 3:17. Hoping for a decent seeding this year so that I can go under 3.

Loved the vibe. Great fun! Can't wait!

Edited by Squier