94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

Was chasing a sub four, going great guns first part of the race - twenty minutes early into Witkoppen climb. Then totally bombed on the Lion Park Hill. Then a puncture on N14, after the cramp finished a very slow and tired 05h20. Every time I have my second Gu an hour or so after the first my quads totally seize - any reason why? I do train regularly, should I lay off the Gu and drink more. (I ate and drank regularly)

Edited by Busker

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a fairly good ride on Sunday, started in D.

Pace at the start was fairly quick, thought I'd managed to stay near the front of the batch, but it must have split somewhere and was left in the 2nd D group, looking at the results i got a 35/524 batch finish, didn't think there were that many D'ers in front of me.

Quite happy with the 2h36. an improvement of 11 mins on last years first attempt. :clap:

Also saw the guy on his S-Works going up the hill on the N14, was suitably impressed!

Was only my 3rd ride with the 50mm wheels on the Trek, thankfully i didn't have anyone telling me to keep my line... you know, it's not always easy :blush:

Big up to the roadies in the batch who know all the warning hand signals and things, warning when a slower rider coming up on the left or right, sand, bumps, etc. :thumbup:

Also a little confused with the timing and mats and start gun thing...

Started my Bryton when the gun went off, stopped it when i crossed the line.

trip time: 2:36:01

ride time: 2:36:00

Racetec time: 2:36:32.

Not really sure how it can be longer, only reason maybe is that i see we started at 06:47:37 (according to the time on the Bryton), so give or take a couple seconds, technically they started us all 32/37 seconds "late" and still took the time as 06:47:00 start time.

oh well, happy with the results.

http://i.imgur.com/na4xb9H.jpg

Haha, having seen about four photos of us I've realised there isn't a single one where it looks like I'm doing any work on the back of that Tandem. I swear I was pushing Christmas Tree up those hills, though.

Edited by SomeBloke

Was chasing a sub four, going great guns first part of the race - twenty minutes early into Witkoppen climb. Then totally bombed on the Lion Park Hill. Then a puncture on N14, after the cramp finished a very slow and tired 05h20. Every time I have my second Gu an hour or so after the first my quads totally seize - any reason why? I do train regularly, should I lay off the Gu and drink more. (I ate and drank regularly)

2 Gu's for 5 hours is way to little. What carbs/sugars did you eat/drink? If that was all, the reason your "quads totally seize" is you most certainly have bonked.

I know lots of people think that gu's are bad (sugar high/lows.) I find they work for me, BUT you have to consume them on a regular scheduled. They recommend every 30-45 minutes. I have one every 40 min. So I had at 0:40, 1:25, 2:05. If you only consume them when you feel low, it's too late.

If you are aiming for 4:00, you need 5 gu's. (This can get expensive. You can buy gu's in boxes of 24 at Dischem. They work out to about R13 each. Much cheaper than the R20 my lbs charges.)

Edited by garyvdm

2 Gu's for 5 hours is way to little. What carbs/sugars did you eat/drink? If that was all, the reason your "quads totally seize" is you most certainly have bonked. :eek:

I know lots of people think that gu's are bad (sugar high/lows.) I find they work for me, BUT you have to consume them on a regular scheduled. They recommend every 30-45 minutes. I have one every 40 min. So I had at 0:40, 1:25, 2:05. If you only consume them when you feel low, it's too late.

If you are aiming for 4:00, you need 5 gu's. (This can get expensive. You can buy gu's in boxes of 24 at Dischem. They work out to about R13 each. Much cheaper than the R20 my lbs charges.)

bonked ???? are you sure ? , maybe i'm older than you, in my time bonking meant something totally different :w00t:

2 Gu's for 5 hours is way to little. What carbs/sugars did you eat/drink? If that was all, the reason your "quads totally seize" is you most certainly have bonked.

I dont think GU and Cramping is related. My thinking is: How much water did u drink before and on the race, how much of that had some form of Electrolyte and Minerals. Also the heat gets to you and that combined with I am guessing here limited hydration that might have caused the cramps and not the GU.

If not mistaken, if you take Gu without the right amount of water recommended, can cause dehydration ..which can lead to cramping.... I use Hammer (Heed for around 3 hour rides and Perpetuam for longer rides) with some jub jubs and health bar for something more solid...

:eek: :eek: Bonking is when the tank runs dry and you just can't turn over the pedals anymore, you 've hit the wall, run out of gas etc... Quads seizing up could be any of a number of things - incorrect setup/saddle height (quads doing too much work), going out to hard, pushing gears/speeds your muscles aren't up to... Edited by ChunkyMunky Lite

Quads seizing up could be any of a number of things - incorrect setup/saddle height (quads doing too much work), going out to hard, pushing gears/speeds your muscles aren't up to...

Ok, my bad.

Ok, my bad.

No bad from your side, also just not sure what exactly the OP was talking about...

If it was cramps it would most likely be dehydration - a good energy drink always helps, you need to get water in but probably more importantly, you need to replace all the electrolytes you're losing along the route. It can also just be from riding out of your comfort zone for too long.

Don't bonk ever again.

Bacon and eggs and bulletproof coffee before the race, water and cold green jasmine tea (just 'cos I like it like that :P) and a few nuts with ginger during. Finished about 11:00 and only felt like lunch at around 14:00.

Sucked that they only had coke on the finish line.

Check out the LCHF thread. Sharp.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/125843-lchf-low-carb-high-fat-diet-ver-2/