94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 seconds! That's all... Got my sub 3 with 37 seconds to spare, but hey it's sub 3 and that's all that counts.

Our K group didn't work as well as I had hoped. Started like a bat out of hell. Which blew the bunch apart. So not much bunch riding to speak off although there were some wheels to grab on to. Rode with Cav for quite a bit in the earlier part of the race but got dropped on one of those long downhills.

Was a great day! I'll get the road bike out again early 2014.

Yeah we didnt really manage to stick together. Lost everyone going into town.

I did hear one roadie comment on my mtb " oh, another tough guy"

Yeah, when we went back to our cars after a few beers, one roadie checked out my tyres and said "you do know that "those" tyres are a huge disadvantage"? I replied with "oh well what was your time? He replied just did over 4hours. I replied, with "seems like your tyres are a disadvantage as well because I also did just over 4 hours'.......didn't get a response. Was quite funny actually. Well, next year will be aiming for 3:45

Just remembered, To the @#$%&*$ #@$%&* on the N3 who chucked his punctured tube into the bush, you are a disgrace to the cycling community, this was at about 11am.

If I wasn't on a tandem I would have stopped and kicked you in the head.

How come you were riding on the N3??

I went past that guy on the bmx, exchanged a few words, seemed like a pretty laid back fellow, smiling all the way.

anyone know how the guys are after the major crash after the Zoo/ Jan Smuts in C batch?

Eish, I was in C, and did not even know about this fall. I always try and ride in the 1st 10% of a bunch, despite burning a lot of matches, but it seems to keep me out of trouble. I fall more than enough on my MTB!!!

I went past that guy on the bmx, exchanged a few words, seemed like a pretty laid back fellow, smiling all the way.

Anyone know him? I'm sure he rode the MTB on the BMX as well.

Yoh! What a day

I enjoyed the route of the race. Definitely a tougher route than Amashova, although the climbing is not as much.

I managed a 4:31 (was hoping for sub 4), but i am happy considering I started at 10:09. Experienced quite a few delays in the race. Had 2 punctures around 30km in, and all riders were stopped en route for a few minutes while they landed a helicopter to airlift a rider. I also needed to stop at almost every water table in the 2nd half of the route as it was just so damn hot. I was told that temps peaked at 39 degrees.

I think the event was pretty well managed, given the magnitude of the event. I wasnt too happy having to ride 5+km from my car to the start, but served as a warm up.

My only issue is the Momentum watering stations. There was way too much congestion at every one of these, and I even had to stop and unclip at 2 of them, even though I wasnt stopping, because there was no way to ride right through. It wasnt neccessary to have the stage across from the watering tables, narrowing the road.

I had some fun trying to locate my car afterwards, as I no nothing about Jhb. after asking a few locals I eventually found my car, 7km later.

I would do this race again, if I have a decent start time. Cant ride in the baking sun again. I am looking like my black kit that i wore on the day.

It's defiantly a race where you need to get a decent seeding which should put you ahead of the weekend warriors.

Ricky - thanks for sharing.

Those photo's really capture the spirit of the day.

We chasing our times and only see red flags all ride long and don't "see" half of the sights along the way.

Rob

Always wondered what the outcome would be if this had to happen,

Have any of you ever seen this happen in the men's category ?

A work colleague claimed this has happend in the mens section (A bunch gets faster time than elites), but I looked through every year on the results site and could not find it. Maybe it was for another race.