94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

Was chasing a sub four, going great guns first part of the race - twenty minutes early into Witkoppen climb.

There is your problem right there.

You cannot go out much to fast for your fitness level/capability and not pay it back with interest.

The second half of the race is where you have to be "going great guns", not the first.

Learn to pace yourself, eat properly, watch you hydration and you will ride much closer to your potential.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really thankful for the replies guys and value the experience and advice here. First problem - I did raise my saddle slightly on my second last training ride even though it felt fine (will get this checked out for future) I felt fine and really wasn't gunning it over the first half (I am a weekend warrior of note and specifically took it easy) but again lesson learnt, will be sure to keep it lower and slower first half next time. Finished two bottles of energade, three quarter bottle of rehydrate and water, one energy bar then the two Gu's, after that both quads cramped up as tight as a ducks @$$. The legs always seem to cramp after the second Gu though, may then try Hammer and ensure I down with half bottle of water in future? Thanks.

u know the 94.7 is a safe race but u know how many axcdents were there i did it for the first time and thats dangerous down Jan smuts alone i countered 5 but im looking to do it again next year but i now have route 66 comming up and sabie classic but amconfused on some training tips and nutreint have to at least dropped 20 kgs by next year feb can i get some tips please .

u know the 94.7 is a safe race but u know how many axcdents were there i did it for the first time and thats dangerous down Jan smuts alone i countered 5 but im looking to do it again next year but i now have route 66 comming up and sabie classic but amconfused on some training tips and nutreint have to at least dropped 20 kgs by next year feb can i get some tips please .

:eek:

On my second lap , I came across this brave team. A decent "boom" box and the buddy with the batteries !

Nice tunes , made many smile !

Well Done !

post-15848-0-72570600-1384857522_thumb.jpg

On my second lap , I came across this brave team. A decent "boom" box and the buddy with the batteries !

Nice tunes , made many smile !

Well Done !

Wanted to stay with them, but they were going too fast ;)

While exercising, sugar spikes are a myth.

I find even just one too many cups of Coke en-route makes me feel seriously yuk, as does even just one GU'ie sachet, must be something to do with sugar surely. But everyone has their own body chemistry, but they surely don't work for me, at all. Gave them up long ago.

But I do chow the GU Peach Tea or Orange chomps at regular intervals, they work good, and drink Powerade, munch a bit power bar every hour, and always finish strong .This is what I have learnt from killah mtb marathons. Yes, also pace, I start slow (let 'em go!)

Was chasing a sub four, going great guns first part of the race - twenty minutes early into Witkoppen climb. Then totally bombed on the Lion Park Hill. Then a puncture on N14, after the cramp finished a very slow and tired 05h20. Every time I have my second Gu an hour or so after the first my quads totally seize - any reason why? I do train regularly, should I lay off the Gu and drink more. (I ate and drank regularly)

This is quite an interesting blog on cramping by Mr Wolff

http://wolffmark.wor...alt-offer-salt/

"It’s a fact that the main cause of cramping is due to an undertrained muscle"

So as many have said, going out too quickly, means you pay later.

Maybe worth trying a different gel?

A friend has stopped taking Hammer gels as he says it makes him cramp.

experiment on training rides.

Think the general rule of thumb is take 250ml fluid with each gel and gel frequency can be extended if taking other forms of energy drink.

perhaps it was the bending down/over while fixing the puncture?

Couple times I've noticed on mtb races that the muscles start twitching shortly after a portage, but that's also most the time going out too quickly to start with.

Edited by typhoon

I ride MTB 99% of the time and was fortunate to land up with a D batch start time on Sunday having started previous 94.7 races in much later batches (because of not having a seeding) and was interesting to see how batches stay and pace together. I am still having to change my riding style to road because i want to bomb it most the time which is what i do on a mtb. Unfortunately for me, i punctured twice, coming down Jan Smuts and on Malibongwe. This caused me to fall back so i noticed when i picked up a new bunch, the pace would be according to riding a sub 3 for them so i had to work on my own to break the sub 3 time.

What i am learning with road is that it's important to A: get a good seeding, B: ride in a bunch and C. Have decent tyres!!

Riding smart and not necessarily riding hard is the key to road riding. I am not saying it's easier, it's just a different style of riding and as people say, individual time trialing shows the true measure of a rider.

I find even just one too many cups of Coke en-route makes me feel seriously yuk, as does even just one GU'ie sachet, must be something to do with sugar surely. But everyone has their own body chemistry, but they surely don't work for me, at all. Gave them up long ago.

But I do chow the GU Peach Tea or Orange chomps at regular intervals, they work good, and drink Powerade, munch a bit power bar every hour, and always finish strong .This is what I have learnt from killah mtb marathons. Yes, also pace, I start slow (let 'em go!)

I think it comes down to the quality of the ingredients at the end of the day. All the cheap stuff would most likely get anyone feeling off. The condition of one's bowels after one too many Epic Pro's is a good example.

I think it comes down to the quality of the ingredients at the end of the day. All the cheap stuff would most likely get anyone feeling off. The condition of one's bowels after one too many Epic Pro's is a good example.

Maybe .. but only once I stopped slukking GU sachets did I start to feel better towards the end of the races, so I put it that that its also a myth that you need to use them during events. Eat and drink, yes.

Maybe .. but only once I stopped slukking GU sachets did I start to feel better towards the end of the races, so I put it that that its also a myth that you need to use them during events. Eat and drink, yes.

Gels are ideal because fluids are more readily digested compared to solid foods and they deliver a concentrated dose of energy. So the science behind it is sound but the marketings claims are on another level.

Hmm

It was also my 1st attempt on a road bike on Sunday and i thoroughly enjoyed. So much so that i will be in the market for a road bike to use once a year for this.

Stomach bug aside, which put a abrupt end to my sub 3 ambitions, I also need to relook my race eating plan. On a MTB ride I stop for a bit and eat something real - peanut butter and honey sarmie, bilton and nuts, jungle oats energy bar etc. However when racing (MTB included) I have come to realize that I cant - my mouth is too dry and it becomes a safety hazard, so i need to look at other options. A good hearty breakfast is a good start and then I need to find a way to keep the tank topped up over the course of the next couple of hours. I have always veered away from GU and the likes, but I think its time for a rethink on this.

Skip the Christmas pudding :whistling: :whistling:

There's a section about nutrition.

Basically, ride more and eat less.