Western Cape Rain and MTB

flymango

Not extremely exciting, but Table Mountain drains well and would still do for a spin out on the bike.

was going to say the same. the best option for a ride this weekend is possibly the front (north facing) slopes of Table Mountain.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about you MTB guys and girls, but I'm personally doubtful I'll get on a trail anytime soon - certainly not before next week!

I think most trails are taking serious strain with all the rain we've had and are having, and then not to mention the damage to moving parts by taking on the mud and rivers ... :eek:

Was at Jonkershoek on Monday , the upper regions are rideable ; lower ST's are mud and small rivers .

http://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1167305_10152177970579392_691343992_o.jpg

Times like this I take the SS. But I feel too bad too ride the trails that does not drain well. Trail running and klapping gym keeps me sane though. Gym for endorphins, trail running for endorphins and the need to be outside.

Well if it keeps on with the hail like now, I am hiring DVD's for sure!

Caaassssssiiiiieeeeee, what you doing with da wevar mon !?

the sun has been out in Paarden Eiland for the last 2 hours. Now all we need is another week of sun to dry the trails.

i was hoping to ride Tokai tomorrow morning... is it worth it? or is it better to stay off the trails for now?

........ soos 'n baba, as dit nie nat is nie het dit 'n wind!!!!!!!!!

Ten minste sny ons nie heeltyd tande nie...

Wat nog gepraat om fiks te word! Net soos ek n goeie week inkry, reen dit di volgende week! Kayaking lyk na n goeie manier van oefen op die oomblik, orals waar water kan vloei is n riviertjie.......

Jy kan my K1 kom leen. :clap:

My wife works at Verelegen Mediclinic. She said last night the water came through the hospital. Some theaters had to be closed. The nurses walked around in waterboots. All the carpets stuffed.

Lucky we did Schapenberg the past weekend. Don't want to imagine what it's like now.

I'm glad you guys are discussing closing trails during the wet weather.. do you think it would work and what would deem closure? You know the pic Sanderis posted higher up would warrant a closure. Pooling in the trail makes for soggy ground and holes..

Do you think a closure would be respected? Some of the best riding is in the rain..

(Just as a side note, the trails in Tokai have never been closed, please consider this when next bashing the state of the trails ;) )

I can’t speak on behalf of other trail builders, but my request with regards to the Bottelary Hills MTB trails is to please stay away for the next week and give the trails time to dry out. Riding any trail after the amount of rain we received, will cause damage and will increase the maintenance that will be needed.

Also, save yourself a big service bill on your bike and rather go and chase the roadies on tar this weekend.