DH World Champs

Capricorn

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard 3rd place Yeti enduro was on 650b wheels!

negatory!!! The Gravey Train was on 26ers .... He doesnt ride 650B.

1 Greg MINNAAR - 26er DH

2. Hannah - 26er DH

3 Jared Graves - 26er Enduro Bike (180mm travel)

4. Sam Blenkinsop - 650B DH Bike

5. Matt Simmonds - 26er DH

6. Nick Beer - Custom 650B Short travel (175mm) DH bike

7. Gee Atherton - 26er DH

8. Marcelo Guterez - 26er DH

9. Johannes Fischbach - 26er DH

10. Troy Brosnan - 26er DH

Edited by nigelhicks

they're huge for anyone! Quite a few of the pro's even choose to squash them.

Yeah I know! Three seconds of air time does not sound like much, but that would leave quiet a big stain in my pants and my eyes would stay like this :eek: for the rest of my life! I think Nigel was secretly trying to off the top riders :ph34r: :whistling:

That course looks like great fun. I will def enjoy it and kinda rip it. I dont get that huge air but at least I get some, but the way those jumps are laid out, makes you wanna go for it

I saw a very interesting viewpoint about how good this course is for the sport. An uniformed will be less impressed with slow technical then they would be with fast and big airs..I tend to agree.

The speed those guys got to in the gulley section was insane. Nige any idea what speeds were achieved there?...sic Mich looked exceptionally fast.

Big up to nige. I think you produced a great course and I think Sundays rides shut a lot of those armchair critics up.

Edited by Stretch

They were clocking 49/50 but still don't now if in km or m. I thought I heard Greg say they would hit 85 but that would be like, crazy?

I saw a very interesting viewpoint about how good this course is for the sport. An uniformed will be less impressed with slow technical then they would be with fast and big airs..I tend to agree.

The speed those guys got to in the gulley section was insane. Nige any idea what speeds were achieved there?...sic Mich looked exceptionally fast.

Big up to nige. I think you produced a great course and I think Sundays rides shut a lot of those armchair critics up.

They were clocking 49/50 but still don't now if in km or m. I thought I heard Greg say they would hit 85 but that would be like, crazy?

For some stupid reason the Swiss Timing guys and TV forgot to ask me where to place the speed trap for the best (fastest) speeds .... I would have put it before the lip of the First Tabletop. .... but NO .... they go and put it well down in the cross section so that the speeds show 45km/h and not 80km/h .... USELESS

Anyway - next year i will get it moved to the tables.

Greg and the guys would have been up around 70 - 80km/h coming out of the Gully

I thought that speeds I saw online looked slow, that is about the speeds we ride at coming down!! Man didnt I feel special :whistling:

For some stupid reason the Swiss Timing guys and TV forgot to ask me where to place the speed trap for the best (fastest) speeds .... I would have put it before the lip of the First Tabletop. .... but NO .... they go and put it well down in the cross section so that the speeds show 45km/h and not 80km/h .... USELESS

Anyway - next year i will get it moved to the tables.

Well that's just plain stupid! Oh, you said Swiss timing guys, I'm just repeating the obvious.

Hey Nige, saw you dusting that Sam guy off. Were his eyes still rolling around in his head?

Wow! One foot wrong and you looking at some serious hospital time...especially when they were popping back and forth between the two sides

Matt Thompson's review of the Masters World Cup Event.

http://www.vitalmtb....tt-Thompson,560

On one of the shuttles up he said to me that the PMB track would not have happened in a Masters race back home, due to the track having too many big hits on it. He said he was actually worried that certain obstacles would be removed (like what happened in the XC event) or objections lodged at the 1st riders briefing, but was well pleased that that never happened :thumbup:

Matt Thompson's review of the Masters World Cup Event.

http://www.vitalmtb....tt-Thompson,560

On one of the shuttles up he said to me that the PMB track would not have happened in a Masters race back home, due to the track having too many big hits on it. He said he was actually worried that certain obstacles would be removed (like what happened in the XC event) or objections lodged at the 1st riders briefing, but was well pleased that that never happened :thumbup:

A very nice read and he seems like a great guy!

roots and rain man Mark Shilton did the geek stats break down for world champs, and i have to bring attention to the stats for the pedal section:

http://cdn3.coresites.mpora.com/dirt_new/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Split2Sector2.jpg

We all know which riders were on 26in wheels and those who weren't. One could argue that maybe they didn't give their all, they played a strategy that backfired, yada yada. Reality is, this section is where it was won or lost as nothing downstream offered sufficient make-up opportunity, and the top section held some reward, but at higher risk.

There are no doubt some benefits with bigger wheels for certain things, but it's not a panacea and each comes with it's own negatives. Either way, as i see it,the wheel-size argument in such short duration events is quite over, and its very nice to see the numbers that underscore that sentiment.