Cyclists Phone Stolen at Knife point at JHB Botanic Gardens

SeeKooigaap

Just read in our local paper :

A cyclist was ambushed by a knife wielding man early on sunday morning in the JHB Botanic Gardens, Emmerentia.

The attack occured in a part of the garden near the corner of Beyers Naude drive and Judith road.

No arrests have been made.

Stay Safe out there.

http://rosebankkillarneygazette.co.za/119265/cyclist-robbed-in-botanic-gardens/

Edited by bikeless

bikeless do you have any details in terms of time of day, day of week?

i've been enjoying using emmerentia as a place to go play on my own - does that mean I have to pack my pepper spray now - that sucks!!!!

bikeless do you have any details in terms of time of day, day of week?

i've been enjoying using emmerentia as a place to go play on my own - does that mean I have to pack my pepper spray now - that sucks!!!!

There has been many incidents there PEPPER SPRAY should have been std long ago

There has been many incidents there PEPPER SPRAY should have been std long ago

really - actually in the park :-(

there's a new "car guard" there that I find rather creepy. I also noticed him checking out the inside of a car as the owners walked away, and he was leaning on someone's Audi.

my playground is getting smaller and smaller.

OUR PLAYGROUND AS A WHOLE

It's simply not safe to ride alone( even small groups) don't seem give safety, but as always 2is always better than 1

Any details would be great. According to the poster, that corner is the top forest next to Marks Parks.

Been riding there for over two years and I have never seen a suspicious character in that specific section.

Strange indeed. What time did he go ride?

Hectic place Joburg. We are still lucky in Bloem. Although there have been sporadic cases of school kids being robbed of their bikes.Havent heard of any robberies whilst training.

not much details in the paper,

just that it was sunday morning and there was a big log across the trail, so the cyclist stopped and the guy came out from behind the bushes and cornered the cyclist against the fence.The guy then grabbed the cyclist and grabbed his cell phone and fled under the bridge.

Eish, and I was gonna start riding there!

Just read in our local paper :

A cyclist was ambushed by a knife wielding man early on sunday morning in the JHB Botanic Gardens, Emmerentia.

The attack occured in a part of the garden near the corner of Beyers Naude drive and Judith road.

No arrests have been made.

Stay Safe out there.

It actually happened on 25 August at around 06:45.

The cyclist involved was Grant Usher.

It happened along the pallisade fencing next to the Wits sports fields.

Anymore info on this. We were out riding Sunday morning and a group of blokes were trying to fish the bastard out. Apparently he struck again somewhere else in the gardens. Fortunately the guy who hit everyone on William Nicol got nabbed and sentenced.

A female cyclist was mugged on Saturday morning, where though I don't know.

I did see a cop car at around 9 at the top end of the gardens where there is a culvert that runs under Judith Road as I drove past.

There was a group of us who combed the gardens early on Sunday morning but didn't come across any suspicious characters. We did discover the muggers escape route which is in fact that culvert running under Judith Road into Mellville Koppies East. Holes in both sides of the metal grating gives easy access to both sides.

A female cyclist was mugged on Saturday morning, where though I don't know.

:-( i'm usually there around that time, this weekend a couple of us went to Rietvlei instead - i'm going to have to be more aware when riding there on my own.

:-( i'm usually there around that time, this weekend a couple of us went to Rietvlei instead - i'm going to have to be more aware when riding there on my own.

Rather cycle with a group for the time being, or failing that, at an hour when there are a lot of people around.

Both the previous attacks have taken place early in the morning.