Sore throat 1 week before event- cures

RyanD

1 week to go until Hill 2 Hill. 105km MTB marathon. I rode a 70k yesterday and felt flat. Woke up this morning with a sore throat and general head cold. I am supposed to do a 50k race tomorrow but have cancelled that as H2H is priority.

Any cures that have worked for you in a similar situation?

Thank you

Ryan.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its a scratchy kind of sore throat then I use a spoonful of honey every so often. Also drink lots of Rooibos and hope for the best! And rest!

A sore throat is the start of getting sick. As soon as I feel this coming on I start taking viral choice or viral eeze. The dosage is 1 capsule 3 times a day but for the first 2 dosesi take 2 to kick start the process. They are herbal so u can take more. Then I buy100% orange juice and and drink a litre for 2 days or so. The viral choice I take them for 5 days. Then plenty of fruit with vit C and veggies for supper. Vit C kills the virus. On top of my multi vit I also add a vit c tab for a few days at the start of flu or cold. One thing u must do is take the viral choice after you have eaten or u will feel nauseas. Follow these steps and I gaurantee in a day or 2 you will be right as rain

Andolex C throat spray, 5 squirts every 1.5hrs and drink plenty of water. It worked for me these past few days. Sore throat gone in 2days. If there is any fever involved dont take a chance, see a doctor.

Thanks guys. I will make my strategy. Rest and vit C. I do feel I am on a downward slope though. I. Tried Viral choice but it unbalanced me. I will try it after meals as suggested.

Thanks again

Ryan.

Agreed with the above. And drinking any pill on an empty stomach (unless it instructs you to do so) is not a good idea.

The thing that works almost better for me than Andolex is gargling with Listerene mouthwash.

1 week to go until Hill 2 Hill. 105km MTB marathon. I rode a 70k yesterday and felt flat. Woke up this morning with a sore throat and general head cold. I am supposed to do a 50k race tomorrow but have cancelled that as H2H is priority.

Any cures that have worked for you in a similar situation?

Thank you

Ryan.

just be very carefull of the flu that is going round,make sure you are 100% before you do any events.

This always works for me and my family...

Get yourself some Localbiotal Spray every few hours.

Darn expensive (Something like R150), but works a charm.

While at the pharmacy ask for a Neurobion (VitB) and Engystol (homeopathic) shot. They mix the two so it's only one sore bum! :D

This boosts your immune system almost immediately.

You should start feeling better the next morning, but rest it out a few more days..

Keep in mind though that this (and other remadies) only treats symtoms of the virus.

The virus could still linger in your system without some symptoms present.

It could be dangerous to your health if you overdo things then, so the best thing would be to rest it out and keep a close eye on your situation.

If you feel any muscle soreness etc. Do'nt go racing or even riding until it has gone completely.

Edited by jmic

Agree with the above mentioned about Vit C and mouth sprays, and also try Tonzolite herbal pills.

Sorry to have to tell you, but from my experience, once the sore throat hits, no matter what you take you will still feel flat. The symtoms might go away, but you will not be on top form if you plan on racing hard. For me the running nose is the killer which happens normally 2 days after the sore throat

Don't do ANY training if you want to stand any chance of making it to the race.....

@jfriel 19h. Being 100% healthy is more important than being 100% fit.

This always works for me and my family...

Get yourself some Localbiotal Spray every few hours.

Darn expensive (Something like R150), but works a charm.

While at the pharmacy ask for a Neurobion (VitB) and Engystol (homeopathic) shot. They mix the two so it's only one sore bum! :D

This boosts your immune system almost immediately.

You should start feeling better the next morning, but rest it out a few more days..

Keep in mind though that this (and other remadies) only treats symtoms of the virus.

The virus could still linger in your system without some symptoms present.

It could be dangerous to your health if you overdo things then, so the best thing would be to rest it out and keep a close eye on your situation.

If you feel any muscle soreness etc. Do'nt go racing or even riding until it has gone completely.

Yip Locabiotal spray - and don`t train !!

Try using AIM BarleyLife, I've been using it for 2 years and haven't gotten sick in that time - except when I forget to buy some.

Morning Friends

Thanks for the support and recommendations, I am afraid it is to no avail as I am not getting over it fast enough. 4 Days to go and I am not feeling good. Have tried to rest and take my Vit C and Viral Guard, Listerine antiseptic as a gargle, and an Andolex spray.

I have pre registered so I have until Saturday to decide but I think it will be wise to sit this one out. Disappointing.

Thanks again

Ryan

Hi RyanD.

I have also been trying to get over the latest flu. Dont know whats going around but its one nasty bug. Have been feeling flat for 10 days now. Started off just feeling a bit flat last week, followed buy a moerse sore throat. Spent 2 days in bed last week and back at work this week , but still have no energy to gym or train. Still have a mild sore throat and can feel my sinuses blocked.

I am also registered to race this weekend (Race for victory) but probably wont do the race. Just be sensible and listen to your body. Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes. Give your body the time it needs to recover and live to race another day.

Edited by funjunkie