Mamba rears its head - Tokai

DJR

I am going to cut back the weeds on the corners on the snake trails on friday. its getting ridiculois when you cant even see the corners, nevermind rail the berms cos the bush hooks your bars. and those little rock gardens are getting super tech. almost dh track stuff....

Would it be okay to do a few trimming along boomslang and mamba as well? There are a few corners where its becoming dangerous as the branches get caught on the handlebars and pulls them the opposite direction.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider it done.

More than happy to lend a hand... when are you guys considering carrying out these trimmings? I am free Friday morning :thumbup:

Edited by gwhite

Will try for the morning.. early! Plan to be there until 11.30am and if job not complete, again from 2pm.

This is good, it looks like at least four people are going to help with trimming.

would it be possible to put together a regular trimming crew? That way we don't get to the point where the vegetation is out of control snd that would mean the actual trail builders don't have to waste time on battling the bushes.

The willingness to help looks like it is there, can we make use of it?

I am happy to be part of this regular group for the time being as I do work from home for now. Rides during the week are frequent and I am happy to carry along a pair of cutters in my bag. Just not sure of the process with regards to cuttings and what must happen to them once cut?

Great to hear the enthusiasm to make the trails safer and more rider friendly.

With regards to the building in the future, no amount of sand, clay or (cement) will help the trails now that the tree's are gone...the traffic count is too high and the soil bed is too sandy. Building in rock is going to be the route forwards, similar to the work done to Cobra.

Someone better start making friends with a quarry....

And can directional signage please eventually finally desperately be erected. The amount of near misses and muppetry that is happening is not lekker!

Great to hear the enthusiasm to make the trails safer and more rider friendly.

With regards to the building in the future, no amount of sand, clay or (cement) will help the trails now that the tree's are gone...the traffic count is too high and the soil bed is too sandy. Building in rock is going to be the route forwards, similar to the work done to Cobra.

Someone better start making friends with a quarry....

And can directional signage please eventually finally desperately be erected. The amount of near misses and muppetry that is happening is not lekker!

Where are the near misses happening?

Regards signs - a load of new ones went up a while ago. Within a week or so the baboons had eaten/broken/made cultural weapons out of all of them. It's like they were painted with the worlds most popular baboon attracting scent. The poor signs stood no chance.

Edited by marko35s

Met with signage sponsor yesterday. We've been testing a cage for a few weeks and it has stood up to some serious abuse. post-13110-0-05081100-1398326671_thumb.jpeg

20 cages will be manufactured in the first batch and due for the DH.

The remaining signs for all other trails are being assembled and you will see the blanks being put in the ground soon. The signs will go in as the cages are read,. so not long to go...

Regarding the stone, you are right Moretrails. Yesterday's inspection proves that anything steeper than flat will need reinforcing combined with laterite to last.. No quick fixes here!

Met with signage sponsor yesterday. We've been testing a cage for a few weeks and it has stood up to some serious abuse. post-13110-0-05081100-1398326671_thumb.jpeg

20 cages will be manufactured in the first batch and due for the DH.

The remaining signs for all other trails are being assembled and you will see the blanks being put in the ground soon. The signs will go in as the cages are read,. so not long to go...

Regarding the stone, you are right Moretrails. Yesterday's inspection proves that anything steeper than flat will need reinforcing combined with laterite to last.. No quick fixes here!

there's rumor of using crushed rubble as underpinning?

there's rumor of using crushed rubble as underpinning?

Not the first I've heard that suggestion...

Myles, agreed, no bun fight needed or wanted. My point about the snake slopes is that without the burn we will be perpetually fighting the encroachment of alien vegetation and risk losing any woodwork that gets put up should they belatedly decide to burn those slopes. The saplings create nice skewers when cut back. It also means all the excess wood the cutters left behind stays put making trail alterations a far from an easy task. I hope the botanical experts get TMNP to do something about it asap.

PS: I see piles of smoke riding from the bonfires opposite the picnic area this morning....

Myles, agreed, no bun fight needed or wanted. My point about the snake slopes is that without the burn we will be perpetually fighting the encroachment of alien vegetation and risk losing any woodwork that gets put up should they belatedly decide to burn those slopes. The saplings create nice skewers when cut back. It also means all the excess wood the cutters left behind stays put making trail alterations a far from an easy task. I hope the botanical experts get TMNP to do something about it asap.

PS: I see piles of smoke riding from the bonfires opposite the picnic area this morning....

100% agreed, Tim. I just wish that the budget had been approved so that hte burn had gone ahead already, as we were told it would have.

Now the waiting (and chopping) game continues.