MTB Brakeset Recommendation

rufus

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want good braking performance and trouble free operation: Shimano XT (I have not used SLX before, but I understand also preforms well).

If on the other hand you want excellent braking and modulation, but you don't mind spending all your free time bleeding and replacing seals and o'rings then Avid Elixer CR is the brakes for you.

Guest Omega Man

i was contemplating Hopes, but then a friend asked me a very valid question: Well first off he said it's awesome brakes. But then he sketched this scenario: So, on the morning of K2C or day 2 of Sani or you're on vacation in Putsonderwater... where are you going to get some assistance and/or parts for Hope brakes?

The only time hopes give problems is when inept mechanics (me) try to do a home bleed. They also aren't that expensive especially compared to the higher end stuff like Avid Code and Saint/XTR

Edited by Omega Man

Second this.

SLX or XT

I have ridden both, SLX M666 and XT M785

Love my M785.

But some other overlooked advice is go 180mm rotor(s) and also look at the Icetech rotors if you want some fade free performance.

Shimano M 785's with 180mm rotors = single finger braking and lots of modulation and control.

Guest Omega Man

Love my M785.

But some other overlooked advice is go 180mm rotor(s) and also look at the Icetech rotors if you want some fade free performance.

Shimano M 785's with 180mm rotors = single finger braking and lots of modulation and control.

And don't forget the Icetech rotors look damn sexy

Love my M785.

I'm a big(read 100kg) boy and these are just great.I am running mine with 160mm rotors and no problem stopping when i need to.Best of all, you can bleed them at home.Bleed kit cost R15, two 20ml syringes and fish tank tubing and you are all set to go.Easy to do once you get the hang and takes 10min.

no one got anything good to say about R1 brakes ?

Maybe cause only 1% of riders have them?

+1 on deore.