CAAD4 vs Scott Speedster S4

Ryan

Hi Guys,

Input on the following please :

Cannondale CAAD4 9sp Ultegra Mavic Wheelset

VS

Scott Speedster S4 Tiagra Alex Rims

Both in fairly good condition.

These options for a heavier rider such as myself now at 112kg??

I may be wrong but I am looking at two considerations:

1. COMFORT

2. DURABILITY

Comments/input appreciated.

The idea is to build up my weekly mileage and for base training, as well as a few odd "races" amashova maybe even Argus.

Edited by Ryanie

I would go for the Cannondale. They make fantastic frames and it has a better groupset. The wheels mentioned might not be that durable in the long run for a heavier rider though

So I eventually went with option C None of the above. Felt CS1 105 Grouposet in great nick. My only concern being the wheels Shimano wh550 which might not work. I will be on the lookout for bomb proof training wheels. Thanks for the advice guys.

Caad 4 for sure.

Ultegra is second from the top, Tiagra is second from the bottom

Damn Straight..

Wait a minute. It depends on what year ultegra. If it is old pre-2000 ultegra (same year as the frame), you wont get spare parts for it. It was 9 speed back then, so any replacement items like casette, chain, shifters will have to be Sora, which is behind Tiagra. It also could have a 1" headset, which is not so common today. Caad4 got a 1 1/8" headset and fork in 2001. Imo an old 9 speed gruppo should be a "free to a good home" item.

The caad4 is a nice frame, should hold up well. I am not certain, but the fork may still have an aluminium steerer, an old technology which I dont like. Such an old frame could have lots and lots of kms on it, be careful.

I eventually went with a newer bike a Felt CA1 with a 10 speed 105 group set in great nick. Only concern is the W550 wheels. Thanks Guys

I eventually went with a newer bike a Felt CA1 with a 10 speed 105 group set in great nick. Only concern is the W550 wheels. Thanks Guys

Great, happy miles.

Congratz

May she treat you well

Thanks for the well wishes! Cippo I see you just laid claim to a set of Mavics? Will they do the job for a 110kg + rider? I know....the question has been asked ad nauseum....