Santa Cruz Tallboy 2

Tankman

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing that this is a Tallboy 2 thread. I want to ask the question about the comparison between a Sworks Epic 29er and Tallboy 2. I want to buy a new frame but are torn between these two?

Need Advice!

Seeing that this is a Tallboy 2 thread. I want to ask the question about the comparison between a Sworks Epic 29er and Tallboy 2. I want to buy a new frame but are torn between these two?

Need Advice!

Think the spez has a more racey geo where the tallboy is more relaxed.

Need Advice!

If you ride to be in the top 50 in the Epic, go for the S-Works. For anything else, go for the Tallboy - stiff, 100% hassle free, great fun to ride, the BEST suspension for a 29er (if you're not hanging to Sauser's wheel). With Fox's CTD trickery nothing comes close!

I think Spez bikes are awesome, on the following conditions:

-You have plenty of $$$

-You live withing a 10km radius from a Spez store (concept store).

My biggest gripe is that ONLY Specialized stores concept stores can / are "allowed" to work on the bikes suspension (shock and fork) and the linkages.

For me, who lives 150km from the closes store, NO GO.

Also, the services are NOT cheap!!!

Most of the other bike brands, a PROPER bike shop can help and do the repairs / maintenance locally without sending it all away to an "authorized" service center.

Also, spares is always an issue (well as far as my experience goes) unless you are a sponsored rider and all is kept aside for you.

What I LOVE about the Santa Cruz bikes, is that for most of the service intervals it is as easy as popping the supplied grease gun (nice touch) onto the zerk fittings, and pump the bearings full of clean grease.

For me, between the Spez and SC, SC all the way.

(unless you are a Spez sponsored rider, or willing to wait a week or so for spares)...

FIRE-suit on :ph34r:

What are the differences between tallboy 1 and 2?

Also what price are we looking at with XT

I'll try and explain.

Santa Cruz is such an awesome inovative company, they dont work according to year models but seasons.

For instance, on last seasons Tallboy they received feedback from their riders/fans on how the frame can be improved.

We saw the cable routing change and the addition od the 142x12mm rear axle.

All that in the same season on that model.

Some of the other manufacturers will have a model for a year and discover improvements during that year but will not add the changed during that year of production but wait until next year.

The Tallboy 2 has an improved suspension system, the VPP, also with bigger uprights. Increased stiffness and weight reduced. A change in sizing means they can now offer the Tallboy in a Small, previously only Medium and bigger.

I have already mentioned the rubber frame protection and internal dropper cable.

With your Xt build, what other components to you want? Wheels, bar, stem, saddle, tires etc?

Thats the beauty of it, you spec it the way you want!

that sounds good now for interest what is the weight diffirence between the carbon and alloy frames? i put my bike through a lot of abuse so was thinking if i can go alu with acceptable weight its a in win, also PM me with the prices you can offer

To be honest, I dont know the weight differences between the alloy and carbon.

Only ever built and played with the carbon ones.

I am sure the alloy will also be an amazing bike but would you not be thinking "damit, I should have gone carbon!" the whole time? I would :D

Carbon can take a massive beating, no need to worry.

Sending PM

-You have plenty of $$$

My biggest gripe is that ONLY Specialized stores concept stores can / are "allowed" to work on the bikes suspension (shock and fork) and the linkages.

Most of the other bike brands, a PROPER bike shop can help and do the repairs / maintenance locally without sending it all away to an "authorized" service center.

Also, spares is always an issue (well as far as my experience goes) unless you are a sponsored rider and all is kept aside for you.

What I LOVE about the Santa Cruz bikes, is that for most of the service intervals it is as easy as popping the supplied grease gun (nice touch) onto the zerk fittings, and pump the bearings full of clean grease.

(unless you are a Spez sponsored rider, or willing to wait a week or so for spares)...

Dunno where you live. But here in the Kaap we dont have such problems. There is only one Spez concept store in Cape Town, Somerset West. But there are dealers all over the Cape and they all stock parts and service the bikes. You dont need a fire suit, you need to be better informed if you want to bad mouth a product. I love Santa Cruz bikes, everything about them, they are magnificent machines. I would never own one, for one reason, price. Edited by schalk1982

Dunno where you live. But here in the Kaap we dont have such problems. There is only one Spez concept store in Cape Town, Somerset West. But there are dealers all over the Cape and they all stock parts and service the bikes. You dont need a fire suit, you need to be better informed if you want to bad mouth a product. I love Santa Cruz bikes, everything about them, they are magnificent machines. I would never own one, for one reason, price.

As I said, for my situation.

However, you cannot argue the fact the NO OTHER bike shop is "allowed" to work on your Spez, besides a Spez shop.

So my statement stands, if you do not live within a reasonable distance from a Spez store, think about your purchase.

-You have plenty of $$$

Having owned and ridden both:

1.) Hogwash that only Specialized can service Specialized. Josh at Cyclists has done my pivots on all my Specialized bikes. Only shock service centers with nitrogen filling abilities can service the brain rear shock. The Fox service interval is much tighter (30 hours on the new Float 29er). So the fork may be able to be serviced at your LBS, but chances are it will be getting serviced lots more.

2.) SC's VPP suspension especially in the LT forms has a much plusher feel as a result of the activation ratios. It squats down more. Lovely feel to the bike.

3.) Specialized is a race snake bike. SC is a smile factor bike.

Having said that the only bike I lust after (I have an S Works Epic) is the SC Tallboy LT2.

I would do better riding the LT2 as I am more of a fun rider and the Specialized is a race machine.

The finish on the Specialized is more bling though. INternal routing of cables - ask the Niner boys about the hassles that can bring. Are you buying it to ride or put on the wall?

To be honest, I dont know the weight differences between the alloy and carbon.

Only ever built and played with the carbon ones.

I am sure the alloy will also be an amazing bike but would you not be thinking "damit, I should have gone carbon!" the whole time? I would :D

Carbon can take a massive beating, no need to worry.

Sending PM

Please will you PM me as well.

As I said, for my situation.

However, you cannot argue the fact the NO OTHER bike shop is "allowed" to work on your Spez, besides a Spez shop.

So my statement stands, if you do not live within a reasonable distance from a Spez store, think about your purchase.

I would not want any other bike shop to touch my baby. it would be like taking your Ferrari to the Toyota dealership to service. Wont end well.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will be buying it to ride. I do agree that the S Works has alot more bling especially the new versions.

The answer to my question is one of which one do you want, do you want a MTB that you need to spend a fortune on to service or one that looks the part as well as perform nicely, but does not cost you an arm and a leg.

I am sure it will look a bit wierd starting in one of the last batches with an proper racing machine. :w00t: