Coaches-cum-selectors?

macclemore

coming on here and accusing probably the countries leading sports scientist of being biased is just plain ridiculous! maybe consider looking up the Dr's credentials before making assumptions like this!

I have no horse in this race, but on the face of it running a coaching business for profit and being a selector for national honours presents a significant conflict of interests.

His scientific credentials do not change that.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know, if the OP is writing hypothetically here, or maybe it's a case of:

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Candy-Machine-Vending-Insert-Card-Leaf-Sour-Grapes-1960s-1970s.jpg

Wasn't Barry Austin in a similar situation some years back?

I don't know Jeroen personally, but I get feeling he's an ethical sort.

In a situation like this there is room for nepitism (even if not intended) and there will also be someone who feels effected by it - even if it did not happen.

In a situation like this there is room for nepitism (even if not intended) and there will also be someone who feels effected by it - even if it did not happen.

Nepotism is favoritism granted in politics or business to relatives regardless of merit

Not sure that it's what you mean here

First posts are usually the best when it comes to sincerely saying what's on your mind

Not the first time this particular one has been brought up either

Correct

I have no horse in this race, but on the face of it running a coaching business for profit and being a selector for national honours presents a significant conflict of interests.

His scientific credentials do not change that.

True stuff

He is one of several people on the selection panel, do you really think that he will influence a selection because he coaches someone? come on!! results speak louder than words! if he is a very successful coach and his riders get results whats wrong with that?

sorry, call me gullible if you want but i am really struggling to see the problem here!

here is a guy that has dedicated his life to the sport and now we want to question his ethics because he has a number of pokers in the fire? not cool IMO

I am not commenting on his ethics at all or even pre judging them - just saying he should speak up and defend himself - the question has been asked, and he should answer - that is the correct thing to do.

Lance also dedicated his life to the sport.... #justsaying - there is NO relationship between dedication and ethics...

I am not commenting on his ethics at all or even pre judging them - just saying he should speak up and defend himself - the question has been asked, and he should answer - that is the correct thing to do.

Lance also dedicated his life to the sport.... #justsaying - there is NO relationship between dedication and ethics...

i hear you but I just think he shouldn't have to defend himself. Like you said # justsaying :thumbup:

Lance who? :ph34r:

I don't know Jeroen at all but there must be conflict of interest here and if there is not speculation and accusations about it will always be mentioned. Even the connections to drug free sport can cause a problem. Being able to dictate which riders get tested out of competition can be tempting.

One can make sure that the riders you coach don't get tested at certain times!!!

One person should not be involved in those two ends of the spectrum.

i hear you but I just think he shouldn't have to defend himself. Like you said # justsaying :thumbup:

Lance who? :ph34r:

I disagree, simply for the reason that the question has merit. It is a clear conflict of interest and it would be good to know how/if they are getting around it?