Narrow Wide Chainring Question

missionS

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a standard 33T or 34T 104BCD chainring(SRAM setup).

Anybody installing a RaceFace NW have one lying around I am more than willing to buy it off of you.

Please PM me.

Thanks

The narrow-wide rings are only available in even number tooth options for obvious reasons ;)

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The narrow-wide rings are only available in even number tooth options for obvious reasons ;)

(1)Narrow, (2)wide, (3)narrow, (4)wide... .... .... (31)narrow, (32)wide, (33)narrow... (1))narrow????

:lol:

Yes I know but I'm looking for a standrd, non NW chainring. I'm running a normal ring with a chain guide. My current ring is a 33T but will up it to 34T if that's all I can get.

Yes I know but I'm looking for a standrd, non NW chainring. I'm running a normal ring with a chain guide. My current ring is a 33T but will up it to 34T if that's all I can get.

To be honest, I don't know if upping from 33T to 34T will be worth the cash!?

To be honest, I don't know if upping from 33T to 34T will be worth the cash!?

I agree however I managed to warp my standard 33T, don't even ask how, so it throws the chain off every revolution. Tried straightening it but no luck so need to buy a new ring now. So seeing as how everyone here is ditching their standard rings thought I could take one off somebodies hands.

Picked up a 32T in green from Linden today for around R5xx. Going onto the Morewood so I can stop pushing my bike on the spruit.

Picked up a 32T in green from Linden today for around R5xx. Going onto the Morewood so I can stop pushing my bike on the spruit.

If you want to get rid of yours send me pm.

• 5 months later...

Okay so I've been running a RaceFace Narrow Wide ring for sometime now. I had a good 600-700km's out of the ring before I dropped my chain for the first time. I've steadily been losing the chain more often and it now is becoming frustrating, particularly during events where dropping a chain costs you serious time, on a stage that is only say 3 or 4 minutes long.

So, it has to be that either the ring or the chain is worn. The ring and chain combo currently have about 1000km's RaceFace 36t NW ring

SRAM PC1031 chain

Both were new and fitted at the same time (along with the cassette and Type 2 X9 derailleur)

Drive chain is in general well looked after (cleaned & oiled after most rides).

I've trawled the interwebs to see what kind of mileage guys are getting out of there chainrings and everything is very vauge. The reviews typically state 'hundreds of miles and still going strong'.

Recently what I have noticed is that in rough stuff I've started to notice that I can feel the chain slapping my right foot (obviously I run left foot forward), but didn't give it much thought. I've measured the chain and the chain is still well within it's useable length (i.e. it has not worn beyond the 1/16th" mark). The pic distorts the measurement somewhat, but it is within spec.

post-3245-0-71829000-1396342323_thumb.jpg

The new chain is a Shimano 10spd HG75.

Then I looked at the lateral movement that was achievable by the two chains and the older chain has significantly more lateral movement available (as can be seen below), so I'm hoping this is the cause of my issues. This also makes sense WRT the chain hitting my trailing foot.

post-3245-0-06473700-1396342435_thumb.jpg

I've fitted the new chain so we'll see how it goes.

If it continues to drop then it could well be the chainring that is worn and may need replacing.

If it continues to drop then it could well be the chainring that is worn and may need replacing.

That's QUITE a difference, dude...

Okay so I've been running a RaceFace Narrow Wide ring for sometime now. I had a good 600-700km's out of the ring before I dropped my chain for the first time. I've steadily been losing the chain more often and it now is becoming frustrating, particularly during events where dropping a chain costs you serious time, on a stage that is only say 3 or 4 minutes long.

So, it has to be that either the ring or the chain is worn. The ring and chain combo currently have about 1000km's RaceFace 36t NW ring

SRAM PC1031 chain

Both were new and fitted at the same time (along with the cassette and Type 2 X9 derailleur)

I've trawled the interwebs to see what kind of mileage guys are getting out of there chainrings and everything is very vauge. The reviews typically state 'hundreds of miles and still going strong'.

Recently what I have noticed is that in rough stuff I've started to notice that I can feel the chain slapping my right foot (obviously I run left foot forward), but didn't give it much thought. I've measured the chain and the chain is still well within it's useable length (i.e. it has not worn beyond the 1/16th" mark). The pic distorts the measurement somewhat, but it is within spec.

Then I looked at the lateral movement that was achievable by the two chains and the older chain has significantly more lateral movement available (as can be seen below), so I'm hoping this is the cause of my issues. This also makes sense WRT the chain hitting my trailing foot.

Here's hoping it's not the chainring, would've expected at least say 2500km out of it.

Also you just cannot find them anywhere. Scarce as hens teeth!!!

Here's hoping it's not the chainring, would've expected at least say 2500km out of it.

Also you just cannot find them anywhere. Scarce as hens teeth!!!

Ja considering that all the manufacturers claim that they are 9, 10 & 11 spd compatible, you should have a bit more life out of a 10spd chain, over an equivalent 9 spd system as the chain is ever so slightly narrower.

The Raceface NW is amazeballz :D

I bought the 34T Chainring and running it on a XT Cassette with a XT Shadow+ RD. I went full 1X10 by acquiring the Leonardi Factory Gen Lee adapter to take my cassette to a 11-42 setup.

I have been using it without any issues for the last month, did an XCO thaba trails over the weekend, and training rides. Never had a chain coming off or anything :D

Edited by DACoetzee

SRAM PC1031 chain

I noticed this when comparing my Shimano and SRAM chains the other day, Both have very low KM on them and the SRAM has WAY more lateral movement.

Edited by Nofearnofun

Ja considering that all the manufacturers claim that they are 9, 10 & 11 spd compatible, you should have a bit more life out of a 10spd chain, over an equivalent 9 spd system as the chain is ever so slightly narrower.

How so?

Why would 10 speed have more life than 9 speed?

The Raceface NW is amazeballz :D

I bought the 34T Chainring and running it on a XT Cassette with a XT Shadow+ RD. I went full 1X10 by acquiring the Leonardi Factory Gen Lee adapter to take my cassette to a 11-42 setup.

I have been using it without any issues for the last month, did an XCO thaba trails over the weekend, and training rides. Never had a chain coming off or anything :D

How are you finding the 42 adaptor? did you have to drop the 17t from the cassette? How good or bad is it without the 17t?