Mavic R-Sys SLR or Mavic Carbone or Zipp 303/404 combo

Rifi

Ok, so I need some help with wheels. I am looking at the above wheelsets and been doing some reading. None of the reviews are proudly South African though.

What are your thoughts? Budget needs to be considered. So far, best price I got was CWCycles. Know of anywhere else I can try?

Currently riding on American Classics Aero 420. Leaning towards R-Sys SLR but something about deep section attracts me all the time.

Help!!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy my deep sections. They're really good for making you feel fast, and I definitely feel a tiny bit fresher at the end of a ride...

I've had the American classic 58, we're decent, currently on mavic comics. I wheels with great hubs.

Everyone here will recommend the zipps, so be prepared for that, but don't shy away. The cosmics are great wheels and from everywhere i searched, they're bombproof too. Not the lightest but who cares about 200grams?

Go for it man... Plus they always make any bike look hella sexy!

So a R-Sys is 1295g a pair. Zipp 303/404 combo is roughly 1560g. Even a 303 set is 1540g. How much aero advantage are you really gonna get from Zipps in a bunch. Then there is the weight advantage of Mavics on the climbs. If sexy was a factor, definitely the Zipps. If practicality and overall use was a factor then the Mavics. Have you considered the 202 clinchers, 1380g a pair with a 32mm rim depth.

I am a bit of a light weight so a bit scared off with crosswinds. Which magics you have?

I have the cosmic carbone sl. The ones with the alu brake tracks. Weight is around 1750g for the set, but apparently they have far superior hubs in their price range.

The crosswind effect is felt, and certainly not a huge problem. The mavics are 50mm, so at the point of great advantage without massive crosswind effect.

Once you learn to not fight the wind, and let your hands get a little loose on the steering, you start to flow with the bike in windy conditions. Seriously not an issue.

But it's all about what's going to work for you... They may not be great in a pack, ie, no advantage, but when you're out front or on your own, even in small groups, the advantage is definitely there and felt.

Worth it for my riding...

So a R-Sys is 1295g a pair. Zipp 303/404 combo is roughly 1560g. Even a 303 set is 1540g. How much aero advantage are you really gonna get from Zipps in a bunch. Then there is the weight advantage of Mavics on the climbs. If sexy was a factor, definitely the Zipps. If practicality and overall use was a factor then the Mavics. Have you considered the 202 clinchers, 1380g a pair with a 32mm rim depth.

Agree with Cippo on this one. You much more likely to feel the difference in the Mavic R-Sys wheels, simply due to the ultra-light weight aspect. 300g is a lot on wheels and as above, the aero advantage does not outweigh the drop in weigh IMHO.

Is there 202 clinchers in SA? I heared there isnt yet.

If there is, please let me know :)

Is there 202 clinchers in SA? I heared there isnt yet.

If there is, please let me know :)

If only I could afford a pair. Contact Cape Cycle Systems, they are importers.

Does cape cycles supply to the public?

Nope ....thru a dealer....what about Shamals...The Ultra Dark look like works of art... :drool: I am torn between the Shamals or Deep Dished wheels myself....I think the best would be to have both wheel sets... :w00t:

Nope ....thru a dealer....what about Shamals...The Ultra Dark look like works of art... :drool: I am torn between the Shamals or Deep Dished wheels myself....I think the best would be to have both wheel sets... :w00t:

I like the way you think Urbanroyal. But the bank balance not gonna allow me. Been looking online and much and much the same when converting to Rands :(

Low profile rims

Dura Ace C24(if you dont have a Campy gruppo)

Deep sections (you need this for time trials, long break aways, or doing lots of work on the front)

Zipp, Cosmics

I am also leaning towards shallower rims. Because of weight. Like everyone has said, riding in a big bunch, it won't make that much of a difference. I strongly agree with the idea of getting the 202's. And go tubby! Surely you won't use an expensive wheelset like that just for training? Get some cheapies for training. Like Shimano RS30 or something.

Having said all of that, to me, personally, deep sections are damn sexy. But don't go overboard. 60mm in my opinion is deep enough for a road bike. I still dream about owning a set of Zipp 404's.

for low weight I hear the DarkHorse wheels are light (1250g for a 38mm clincher, 1300g for a 50mm clincher, and 1180g for a 50mm tubby). And they are very reasonable prices (I think below R 10 000)

Edit: and they look pretty good as well

post-37059-0-52867600-1380462554_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCA12