Are cyclists colourblind?

Butterbean

I allow ONE EXCEPTION ONLY, and this is it:

When you get to a traffic light that is red and needs to be activated by a vehicle driving over the trigger pad to turn it green. I'm not heavy enough on the bike to do that. Then I treat it as a stop sign if there is no other traffic around. The alternative is to wait there at the red light until perhaps one day a car comes along to trigger the green light for you, and that's just stupid.

Ha ha, never thought about that...are there many of those around?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes skip reds. Sometimes I think it is safer. Like when I deed to cross lanes and exit right. I'm going to get in the way and be a target. I will quickly get across, over the lanes and be on my way and out of everyone's way. I don't think it irritates people other than those that are determined to be irritated.

For me the problem is the big groups. One person goes through on orange and 50 sheep follow. Pisses everyone off. Sorry roadies but I think groups should be limited to 10 or 12 people. More than that and the group IQ plummets to moron levels.

And while I'm picking on roadies, let's make this an equal opportunity rant. How about those MTB heroes flying off the pavement and across the road to get back on the spruit. Because you are chasing your mate and think he checked doesn't mean you don't have to look. My cruiser weighs several tons, has no abs and unless you want to pick yourself out of my bulbar please do us all a favour and look before you leap.

Now I am also a moan gat.

Ha ha, never thought about that...are there many of those around?

Waited for one in Constantia this morning, but a car triggered it before I needed to break the law. Thank goodness, or I would've been fried on the Hub.

I allow ONE EXCEPTION ONLY, and this is it:

When you get to a traffic light that is red and needs to be activated by a vehicle driving over the trigger pad to turn it green. I'm not heavy enough on the bike to do that. Then I treat it as a stop sign if there is no other traffic around. The alternative is to wait there at the red light until perhaps one day a car comes along to trigger the green light for you, and that's just stupid.

Good point DJR.

+1 to the OP.

I've actually stopped cycling with groups because of their inability to comply with basic rules of the road. (after trying to change their ways of course)

Sure, I get it... You don't want to stop riding... It's *** having to shift down and back up and pull off and it interrupts your rythym.

If this is the case, go to a track or go offroad.!

Looks like some rain coming in Jozi today. Actually looking forward to it. Except if I'm going to be soaked tomorrow morning on my training ride. But I do have two balls. Not that it makes me more of a man, though.

I kinda do not like the topic the OP used. It is totally discriminatory against people who are colour blind. We talk here about dumb ass cyclists who do not respect their own life, why then the connotation to colour blindness?????

I kinda do not like the topic the OP used. It is totally discriminatory against people who are colour blind. We talk here about dumb ass cyclists who do not respect their own life, why then the connotation to colour blindness?????

Erm. Red, orange, green and the fact that those that are colour blind can't really tell the difference between them?

But if you take offense to it, that's your own issue.

Erm. Red, orange, green and the fact that those that are colour blind can't really tell the difference between them?

But if you take offense to it, that's your own issue.

I am colour blind and I can see the difference. The brain is omnipotent. I learned colour definition by association. When I do the Ishihara test I cannot even see the numbers for colour blind people. Do not shoot your mouth off before you know what colour blindness is.

Are you the type that laugh at people in wheelchairs as well??????

Are you colour blind or one of the dumbasses crossing red lights????

Edited by Big H*

There are lots of good connotations also........for one, their sense of fashion is often interesting! ;)

For all you racer wannebees - why not treat the red lights as the start on an interval - sprint trainig at it's best - and no I don't mean sprinting to try beat the red I mean using the traffic lights as impromptu interval sprints - this works for roadies and mtbers - just saying

Neither. I'm one of the dumbasses that only crosses when it's green.

Read my edit above

There are lots of good connotations also........for one, their sense of fashion is often interesting! ;)

I cannot buy clothes on my own, but I do see the leopard way before you, camouflage cannot hide from me.

i agree with the OP +10000

I am colour blind and I can see the difference. The brain is omnipotent. I learned colour definition by association. When I do the Ishihara test I cannot even see the numbers for colour blind people. Do not shoot your mouth off before you know what colour blindness is.

Are you the type that laugh at people in wheelchairs as well??????

Are you colour blind or one of the dumbasses crossing red lights????

It's obvious what the intention of the topic was. It's for people who can clearly see a red light but treat it as if it's amber or green.

You're looking for an argument, why not take on Adam Duritz whilst you're at it.