Die Burger Road Race

Mylolylo

I started in E, which I wasn't ready for as I was off the bike for 4 weeks. I managed to stay with a fast pack until R44 at 31 ave. I was also sleeping and dropped the group on R44. Rode to finish solo. Was too unfit to grab another group.

Ended with a 3:30

Sent via Tapatalk on Xperia T

I was also in E batch, we had a good group going, managed to hold onto the bunch until R44, and then couldn't hold on any more. Battled the last 30km's in the wind on my own. Happy with a 3:12 for my first Burger, considering I did Caledon tri on Saturday and my training hasn't been what it should be for the last few months. Without a doubt my fastest, hardest ride of my life. But happy with the result. So many valuable lessons to take away from the Burger and from DC ride this year. Next year will be a good year :)

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, what was with that idiot parked there?

Dale, our entire group went over the white line at one point. (Then again, there was no marshall in sight at that time.) If they DQ us for that... coz here's the situation:

Coming down the descend on Swaelstert mooooving and crosswinds making it interesting as is, I hear yelling and just see jinking to the right. Next moment I head right as well, having faced a car's headlights! Some eeeedjit decided to park his car in the left-hand (as we went) lane facing oncoming traffic and have a chat with his buddy on the side of the road! :eek: That with bunches of us flying down there on the left-hand side.

Thanks to the guys up front who gave warning...

The guy was actually giving warning - if you looked carefully there was a bike and a bloke lying in the grass, had deep sections so the wind must have taken him out. That was a very scary section.

I was also in E batch, we had a good group going, managed to hold onto the bunch until R44, and then couldn't hold on any more. Battled the last 30km's in the wind on my own. Happy with a 3:12 for my first Burger, considering I did Caledon tri on Saturday and my training hasn't been what it should be for the last few months. Without a doubt my fastest, hardest ride of my life. But happy with the result. So many valuable lessons to take away from the Burger and from DC ride this year. Next year will be a good year :)

Good time out of E! Well done!

Glad to see I'm not the only one this happens to. Happened to me at the Engen Classic. Race over at 98km. :cursing:

Some times cramping is not due to hydration or lack of nutritian - sometimes the muscles just spasm from over excurtion. Best advice, train to race and not race to train. Make sure the muscles are used to the effort during normal training. Could also be a muscle imbalance, over use of certain muscles - is it always the same muscles cramping? Good luck! (Oja, I am also a kramphol... so I know! Mine seems to be over use of one particular muscle, so got a bio to help with this).

Tough day on the bike, so much for the light wind predictions! Well done to everyone that finished, especially the okes who had to spent 4 hours + in that sun & stormy winds.

Was hard keeping up in %, but felt it went ok until Wellington. Was feeling fine when we turned on to the R44 but made the age old rookie mistake by being caught napping at the back of the large group when the attack came, its one thing trying to keep up with the racing snakes, something else entirely to chase them from behind! Ended up completely knackered without achieving anything!

Next year I'll be better prepared. Still, can't complain, had a decent result for a dropped rider :-)

Aha... that about sums it up! Sure you had me for company :drool:

Some times cramping is not due to hydration or lack of nutritian - sometimes the muscles just spasm from over excurtion. Best advice, train to race and not race to train. Make sure the muscles are used to the effort during normal training. Could also be a muscle imbalance, over use of certain muscles - is it always the same muscles cramping? Good luck! (Oja, I am also a kramphol... so I know! Mine seems to be over use of one particular muscle, so got a bio to help with this).

I will be the first to admit that at present I am undertrained. This December holidays I will be putting in a lot of distance to get fitter and the endurance up.

On Sunday my left hammy started twitching going up Helz. I started favoring it and then paid the price later on when my right quad said enough is enough.

BUT NO EXCUSES FOR BEING UNDERTRAINED!!

If you were in the leading A bunch on the R44, how did you manage to finish almost 9 minutes behind the leading A riders?

Maybe he thought he was in the leading one but there was a break :P

QU: Or maybe its only me, but does anyone else feel that the way the certain sections of rode are newly tarred(so new we could still smell it actually) slows you down a tad on the free wheeling?? because its faaaaar from smooth, and when i eventually got past all the sections of newly tarred road, 3km later my hands were still vibrating LOL... But does anyone else feel their bike doesnt roll as smoothly and as freely??

I agree, still have a numb pienkie finger from the vibrations. :thumbdown: Price I pay for a reactive bike.

There was an elderly gentleman who was down at the 45km mark on the long route, i really hope he is ok??

if anybody knows him, please let u know how he is doing...

any other major accidents?? didn't hear of too many which is a good thing :thumbup:

to end off, i'd just like to say, that whoever opened the window yesterday morning and let the wind in, u deserve to be ridden over by every cyclist who took part yesterday...

In my group two guys went down simultaneously due to the rubber mats over the R45 Railway crossings. Looked liked the mats bubbled up, probably due to riders breaking on them. Was lucky to avoid both the crashes. Some slower (read "lighter") cyclist weaving down Hellies almost took out the "heavy train" flying down. We needed to cross the white line, but luckily managed to avoid both cyclist and traffic.

Had a nice ride for my first Burger and happy with my time. All's well that ends well.

Haha, both legs, all muscles (what it felt like). my legs locked up completely on Krommeree. Would you call that overuse of certain muscles or completely bonked? haha. :eek:

The guy was actually giving warning - if you looked carefully there was a bike and a bloke lying in the grass, had deep sections so the wind must have taken him out. That was a very scary section.

Really?! I never saw the guy. So I take back what I said about him being an idiot. :mellow:

That section was scary!

Ok im going to admit, after 85kms or so, my legs had given up... This being my 1st race since the Argus as i broke my leg the week after and have had NO winter training at all due to the pins in my leg... Anyway, i think a major reason is because the muscles were probably too warm, well, i mean HOT.. Reason being i made a MASSIVE error on Sat night. On sat after 8 when i got home, i decided it was finally time to shave my legs, 1st time since the day before Argus, and due to my broken leg, 1 being considerably thinner than the other, i couldnt stand to look at 1 thick strong leg and 1 shrimp tail!! So i started and shaved my 1 leg(took a while as its been 8 months of hair growth, 1st used hair machine and then razor) then thought, il take a 5min break and then start again on the other, well, i woke up on Sunday Morning(late) had to rush to get to Stellies on time(which i didn't) and only THEN i realised only 1 leg is shaved!! Fortunately for me i had my Long tights in the car so just slipped those on!! Started to feel my legs cooking after about 70kms...

Massive error on my behalf to only shave 1 leg then pass out, so the last 20 plus km's i was struggling.

I've accepted im very undertrained... Anyone who rides in groups weekend mornings who lives in the Southern Suburbs, please DM me..

Good time out of E! Well done!

Thanks, I am well chuffed. Didn't have any of my training buddies to help pull me out of the bad sections, both mentally and physically. Was hoping for a good ride for Argus seeding - mission accomplished :)

Really?! I never saw the guy. So I take back what I said about him being an idiot. :mellow:

That section was scary!

I'm surprised there weren't more that came off their bikes on the section. Flying downhill at speed only to be hit by a brick wall of side wind is a recipe for disaster.