Carte Blanche

Guest DieBees

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have been offered the chance to effectively turn pro without the pressure of not knowing whether you can support yourself. Effectively your boss has offered to sponsor you.

A word of caution: There is a big difference between doing sport as an amateur and a pro -- your focus moves from having fun to having to perform and for some people that shift in focus can be detrimental.

But, you have an opportunity millions of young wannabe pros dream about and if you don't try you will never know and probably at some point will end up wishing you had tried ... good luck.

forkit, your boss is pretty cool and also has some insight into what drives you...he knows you will still get to all your work. So in a way he is giving you a pretty cool flexy hour arrangement. Take it I say.

PS I can make a mean cup of coffee, is there a job opening for me there :whistling:

So here is an interesting question / scenario...

We always complain that we cannot spend enough time on the bike and if only I can spend more time on the bike I would be able to better my times etc...

So I sit and complain about too little time to train blah blah, you know the story, sitting around the table with the boss and all of a sudden he excuses himself from the social gathering and comes back with a letter and says to me that I can have all the time I need to train in a day, in other words, he is willing to let me train for as long as I need per day to achieve my goals and to get where I want to be. (He basically said that he will contribute three hours a day from the company)

First off I ignored the letter, he said in it that I can work three hours less per day, in other words, start three hours later or leave three hours earlier. He kept on coming back to me saying that he is serious, so after a week now, I have taken him serious. Now I am wondering... Is this what I want?

Now having been given carte blanche to train for as long as I need or want to, I have a few questions and need to get some insight on this from you guys...

What would you do? Do you take the offer up? What do you actually do? Do you train like hell?

Do you revisit your goals? This is something that I have always wanted and now that I have it I am confused...

I thought it is a joke, but it is not. Gave me a letter and everything...

What type of work do you do?

If your name is daryl impey then it's not such a big deal.

Here is what you do:

- get a good coach (who will give you a good programme to follow)

- measure your outcomes (weight, resting hr, VO2 max etc)

- report back to your boss regularly, ie hours trained, change in above stats etc.

Where it gets hard is when the weather is crap, you fail to achieve results or when you are ill or injured.

Here is what you do:

- get a good coach (who will give you a good programme to follow)

- measure your outcomes (weight, resting hr, VO2 max etc)

- report back to your boss regularly, ie hours trained, change in above stats etc.

Where it gets hard is when the weather is crap, you fail to achieve results or when you are ill or injured.

+1

If you are sick or the weather is crappy you can use that time to analyse new work flow procedures to fulfil your work commitments and impress your boss, ultimately returning the favour

Seems like a golden opportunity to get serious if you ask me - but you will discover that 12 - 15 hours a week training is hard work...

I think your boss has called you out on this - what is he going to think if you decline? I know what I would have to say.... REPEATEDLY.... I think you would get hourly reminders about Rule 5..... at a bare minimum.... with many references to your shortage of testosterone, balls, commitment, amount of lard hanging around your waist, sexual preferences etc...

And I am a nice guy too... :) but you have set yourself up for pain - either way...

Get a coach, a shrink, a masseuse, a physio and go for it..... and STAY the F..K out of my ER...

There is a reason he is the boss Whatever his motive he clearly knows how to cut throught he bull

but, the bottomline is you have no choice - you have to take him up on it, you have to perfom and you have to make sure your work does not suffer.

Have fun, very few of us have jobs (nevermind bosses) who could tollerate this... even though it looks like most of us sit yapping online all day

I wish I could get the same opportunity,

my boss laughs at me when I put in a leave request.

Take the opportunity and make it work.

There is no reason why you cant do both and be successful at it.

One thing to remember is that for every inch you move forward in your dreams as well as your work you will have to thank you boss.

Wait just a minute here!

First of all, do you get paid hourly?

Second, what is your age?

What discipline do you compete in?

What do you want to achieve as a cyclist?

If you are getting a pay cut with this, then I can tell you, say no thank you. If not, he is going to put pressure on you to perform at work and on the bike.

Maybe you spent three hours a day screwing around at work (possible if you are a Hubber, lol), and he will now save on bandwidth, electricity, telephone and the bar fridge.