Washing a helmet's straps

WayneO

Probably an odd question, but what is the best way to wash your helmets straps cause no matter how hard I try my straps are filthy and always look starched. This has made my heet flippen uncomfortable

I just rinse them off with some clean water after every couple of rides to keep the sweat at bay and then once a month or so I make a bit of a paste with some washing powder and water, take a small nail brush and give them a good clean. I have white straps and have given up on them staying clean, they now have a orange hue thanks to the Magalies sand!

Probably an odd question, but what is the best way to wash your helmets straps cause no matter how hard I try my straps are filthy and always look starched. This has made my heet flippen uncomfortable

Ill ask my maid when I see her, Ive tried and failed miserably... dunno what or how she does it but it works

Muc-off make a helmet cleaning product that seems to work pretty well - spray on, gentle jiggle around, rinse off.

De-odorises too.. they say...

I take a shower with my helmet once in a while... Normal soap scrub on the straps and the pads get machine washed. Keeps it sparkling.

Did some research a while back and almost all solvents and a lot of alkaline products are not advised on helmets as they may affect the polystyrene or plastic...

My Camelbak and shoes get mucky as well

Resorted to dumping the lot with the helmet once a month in the bath with woolite soak and rinse twice and hang in the sun

Works like a dream

Without a doubt, Dettol hand wash liquid. I dilute it about 1 - 4 with water and wash my gloves and helmet straps and liner with this after every ride (4 - 5 rides a week). Keeps the funky smell away and the sweat stains too. After 8 months they are as good as new apart from a bit of wear and tear on the gloves, but can't blame the sop for that.

Ill ask my maid when I see her, Ive tried and failed miserably... dunno what or how she does it but it works

DOES SHE WASH YOU ASWELL??? :eek: :eek: :eek: dont you know how soap and water works SKILLS :whistling:

She is jiking them

I spray my shoes and helmet with Powasol when washing the bike and rinse with the hosepipe, easy.

But rinse the helmet after each ride with the hosepipe, and wash them when I wash the bike after 5 rides or so.

Like the others have said, shower with your helmet.

I use that thing my missus uses to exfoliate with - dont know what it's called but it looks like the bag that oranges come it, but all balled up. Squirt some shower gel onto it and work the inside of the helmet like im unscvrewing a lid. Just lay the straps on the inside while im doing this and it sorts them out too.

Do it every couple of weeks becuase it starts to get funky !

Edited by Skott5

Like the others have said, shower with your helmet.

I use that thing my missus used to exfoliate with - dont know what it's called but it looks like the bag that oranges come it but all balled up. Squirt some shower gel onto it and work the inside of the helmet like im unscvrewing a lid. Just lay the straps on the inside while im doing this and it sorts them out too.

Do it every couple of weeks becuase it starts to get funky !

Please don't tell your wife you are doing this. She's gonna be VERRRY unhappy with you!