Classifieds safety: Suggestions and Feedback

Matt

Oh! Had another one, when I bought my old surfski. Phoned the woman up, said can I come see it, said yes - went there that afternoon, said I'd take it will you SMS me banking details please. I took the surfski with her approval that afternoon.

Had to follow up for a week, every day, reminding her that I needed banking details!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe a seller must give his ID number and also proof of address? I have sold many things in the past and even though it may be a very time wasting exercise, I have had to look at my own safety and ask for an ID and proof of address with his/her name on it.

+1

ID scans...yeah right...then I can submit an ID from somebody else?!

no ..as an exception in your case..matt will perform a full cavity search

It is near impossible to stop fraud /theft of this sort, no matter what is put in place, if someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way around any safeguards....

For what it's worth, i make sure there is clear information from a buyer when i am buying, can be dodgy sometimes, and i am very weary of where i meet people. Check out the location on Google earth or take a friend along when you meet a buyer for the first time...

I have thus far been very fortunate and made some good friends after buying on any forum that i have been on....

Just remember that new members are joining every day(and you were a new user once...) We all started on here sometime...

I like the idea of vouching for someone, adding a few friends(with the acceptance option) is a good idea as you can always check with friends to see what kind of person you are going to deal with...

Edit : Added info

If I could make a suggestion as a newbie lurker who Prefers not to post unless I have something to say. However I do know a little about online security into tangible environments.

1. Search indexing - If the server admins would utilize the robots.txt or other block mechanism to remove the search / indexing capability of the classifieds section. This will reduce general public indexing and will make it a tad less visible to the criminal elements out there.

2. Verification - there are a multitude of verification methods that could be employed, one of which could be a paid service where by you have to text a 5 digit number to get verified with a cost of I dunno 20 - 50 rand to get a verified seller / buyer status which will enable viewing of any contact details including the sellers profile name etc. The monetary commitment will drive off a large portion of bottom feeding scumbags.

There are other ways to safeguard a community between the digital and real world however first and foremost is awareness ! As stated, public safe venue's. Groups of friends, and always be ware if it is to good to be true 9 out of ten times it probably is.

My shiny 1 South African rands worth.

If placing a Add

If non HUB member, aka no previous history, post count then before account is activated to be allowed to post has to do a proof of ID, with a phone call/voice confirmation from a land line/Telkom matching account, or cell number, with no blocked numbers allowed (Cell number can be traced via FICA procedures).

G

Maybe a seller must give his ID number and also proof of address? I have sold many things in the past and even though it may be a very time wasting exercise, I have had to look at my own safety and ask for an ID and proof of address with his/her name on it.

Problem, it builds on reputation, and it only need one bad deal to make profit.

He can come in and have 2 good deals and then on the third one take someone for a ride.

G

Could implement a 'Seller's reputation thread'

This has been hugely successful in the Paintball Africa Forum and is really a great help.

Buyers give sellers a +1 if they are happy with dealings, -1 for bad dealings. Unfortunately it takes a mod to manually update this list unless someone has an automated way of giving ratings.

iTrader helps alot aswell, but on the PBA forum I usually reference the Seller's Reputation Thread before buying anything. And if the person you're buying from isn't on the list? Well, do what intuition tells you and if they're good then give them a +1 to be added to the list for future hubbers safe dealings. If they're bad, try sort it out and if that doesn't work then name and shame on the official thread.

I think this is a great place for some LBS's to step in and be intermediaries. However this will be eating into their business so not sure how viable it would be, however, let's say you meet a listed LBS and see the bike etc. then you decide to take it - you either pay the seller cash there on the spot, or you go into the shop swipe your bank card, they add in bank charges and all that, and then pay the seller on your behalf, or something along those lines. Hell, it might even grow to be to their benefit where the seller can get the bike checked out , a la AA 100 point check, before buying bicycle.

Perhaps admin can look into roping some LBS's into this - get the initiative going from their side, and have listed LBS safe sites somewhere.

i just think the rating a buyer seller has a flaw, all you need to do is read any thread, 50 people want to shoot someone and 50 think he walks on water, many times on the hub threads start off like this @##%$^LBS SUCKS 50 hubbers agree 50 hubbers disagree, way to eager to judge, as i said earlier how many times have we seen posts like........is it time to name and shame??? only to be sorted out in half a day,, so people could get neg. ratings based on PETTYNESS

i dont think its much to ask if you want to advertise you need to give in certain details that will be checked(obviously there will have to be costs involved ) but for secure deals i dont think its unreasonable to ask for a ADMIN fee. there are many hubbers using classifieds daily, they would be much happier to know that SOME FORM of proof of who you dealing with has been done. i know i would have no issue buying from someone if i knew they went through the effort to go through the process, i know syndicates make bigger efforts to fool people, but as said earlier it will rid the hub of the bottom feeders who are simply picking up a phone and getting peoples rides

I was shocked to see that guy who had the gun pulled on him, this really is the wild west...

However, as has been mentioned any amount of restrictions and preventitave measures won't stop a determined crook.

I have had many totally successful trades through this site and even made new riding buddies. I have bought from members with 1 post without a hitch.

I think the deals ratings system should be more in your face to encourage people to rate sellers and buyers. Then over time you will build up an elite of sellers/buyers whom you know you can trust.

Then one has just got to be careful. You can get a general feeling about the seller/buyer from a combination of: number of posts, length of time a member, the sellers/buyers ratings etc. Then always have a phone conversation before meeting or concluding the deal; you can learn plenty by chatting to the other party. So by now if things aren't stacking up, you walk away...

Obviously the size of the deal has a major impact on the level of caution to excercise...

Ideas like involving LBS's etc are just not going to fly...

Happy hunting!

You will never get around the issues of online shopping. And the idea about hubbers who don't post enough posts is a load of nonsense, Im on the Hub most days cruising around seeing whats out there and a bit of escape. Ive bought and sold stuff. Im just not the type to write random things to posts or to add a comment for the sake of commenting, its a form of social media spam. I guess this would be my first bit of spam.

+1

yes, i like this one - some sort of suystem where you register to be a seller / buyer...by providing admin with certain details that will aid ADMIN in identifying the buyer/seller should something go awry...

you might loose a few potential buyers / selelsr but overall the good okes will stay around and the fly-by-night shyte will migrate back to Gumtree.

yes, i like this one - some sort of suystem where you register to be a seller / buyer...by providing admin with certain details that will aid ADMIN in identifying the buyer/seller should something go awry...

you might loose a few potential buyers / selelsr but overall the good okes will stay around and the fly-by-night shyte will migrate back to Gumtree.

While ADMIN is trying to help, some people may then be tempted to blame admin and try and hold them liable if they have a bad deal with an "approved" seller

While ADMIN is trying to help, some people may then be tempted to blame admin and try and hold them liable if they have a bad deal with an "approved" seller

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT, BLAME IS THE NAME OF THE GAME WHEN SOMEONE GETS A HIDING

Archived