New 29er SS options

ptaljaard

Hi

I have read through a lot of these threads and checked all the sweet photos. I currently have a 26 FS & thought that if I added a SS it might as well be a 29er.

I see most of you have imported sweet steel frames that have horizontal dropouts. I don't think my budget covers that and I don't want to increase my budget for a second bike.

So i suppose my question is whether getting a new bottom-of-the-range 29er is a good place to start and just stripping the drive train?

I will obviously need a SS kit with tensioner but that's no problem. It seems like the easiest way to get going quickly and the fact that I'll be losing the lower quality components when changing to SS means it's not too big a deal. I'm still in my 20's so plenty time to get addicted and import awesome frames etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are in Cape Town, come see me. I will be able to help you.

Tensioners suck.

I have some Eccentric hubs that will take away the need for suck nonsense.

Otherwise we can find some good steel flame options that are reasonably inexpensive.

PM me

If you are in Cape Town, come see me. I will be able to help you.

Tensioners suck.

I have some Eccentric hubs that will take away the need for suck nonsense.

Otherwise we can find some good steel flame options that are reasonably inexpensive.

PM me

How much are these hubs going for?

Thanks guys.

very helpful.

I had a look at the On-one frames and was surprised at the price. seems like a good deal. But then I started adding up prices of gathering components and thought I had escaped my range. Perhaps with patience I can make it work. Guess import & shipping will be a few hundred? Any components worth getting from On-One with my budget?

was thinking suspension fork. happy to be converted later.

Singlespeedguy, I am in Cape Town so will get in touch.

Thanks guys.

very helpful.

I had a look at the On-one frames and was surprised at the price. seems like a good deal. But then I started adding up prices of gathering components and thought I had escaped my range. Perhaps with patience I can make it work. Guess import & shipping will be a few hundred? Any components worth getting from On-One with my budget?

I think the on-one route will work out cheaper to be honest....their frames are very cheap as you can see. Add a wheelset and tyres from the classifieds for about 2 grand...a fork and crank....done and done.

Before you spend your money, talk to hairy or singlespeedguy, I say buy once, even if it means you stretch you budget by a grand or so.

Edited by rouxtjie

I had a doner bike and went the On one route. Got a Inbred frame for £75 thanks to Hairy and because it was on sale. Before that I was running a tensioner and it sucked, had to adjust it often and I did not like the look.

Thanks guys.

very helpful.

Total cost is £146

Shopping Basket

/imgs/products/50x38_fitPad/FROOSSLTD29_P1.jpg 1 x On-One Inbred 29er Single Speed LTD Edition £116.66 (ex VAT) Subtotal £116.66 (ex VAT) change ZA Delivery £30.00 (ex VAT) Total £146.66

Equivalent R2,316.70 plus approx 15.4% (R356) for import duties and VAT etc (so not hundreds)

If you speak to Hary, he may be able to get you a better price.... :whistling:

Had a quick look at the classifieds and could not see a used 29er frame for that price. They do come up cheaper if you are prepared to wait and watch the classifieds, but then the frames will not be SS specific.

Edited by shaper

Total cost is £146

Shopping Basket

/imgs/products/50x38_fitPad/FROOSSLTD29_P1.jpg 1 x On-One Inbred 29er Single Speed LTD Edition £116.66 (ex VAT) Subtotal £116.66 (ex VAT) change ZA Delivery £30.00 (ex VAT) Total £146.66

Equivalent R2,316.70 plus approx 15.4% (R356) for import duties and VAT etc (so not hundreds)

If you speak to Hary, he may be able to get you a better price.... :whistling:

Had a quick look at the classifieds and could not see a used 29er frame for that price. They do come up cheaper if you are prepared to wait and watch the classifieds, but then the frames will not be SS specific.

Ad a few pounds for a headset and seatpost clamp.

Best bang for buck will be buying a second hand geared bike and converting it...

Your budget is big enough for a decent bespoke SS though - Im with the others who say try and stretch the budget a bit and buy a "proper" SS.

On ones are great value for money and I've heard only good things.

Most important of all - buy the one that stirs your soul not the one that makes sense. Sense is for race bikes only.

Most important of all - buy the one that stirs your soul not the one that makes sense. Sense is for race bikes only.

Single speeds ARE race bikes.... every day is a race against the gearheads... :)