When to change brake Rotors

Jacques Viljoen

hi Hubbers

When is it time to change your brake rotors. Is there a % lost calculation or when that don't brake any more (That would be a good time :whistling: ).

I'm sure there is a way of saying... okay those rotors need replacing? or not?

Thanks

Guest DieBees

Good question... Normally I would imagine that if you do not replace your pads (Ouch.... :o ) in time, the rotor gets damaged and then leads to them not lasting, but if you did all of the above, when do they need replacing then? Good question, I would also like to know.

I've also wanted to know this, be interested to see what folks say.

On cars and motorbikes there's a thickness wear limit and once that's reached you supposed to replace them, probably the same with bike rotors

Some rotors have a minimum thickness stamped on them (Formula - 1.75mm). I would imagine other makes have similar guidelines. Measure with venier or similar instrument to ascertain thickness. Replace when it reaches those parameters.

• 7 months later...

2.5mm of pad left is still a lot?

I was thinking the same. Cant be much more than 2.5mm when they're new

i run them down a lot lower than 2.5mm. But I inspect my brake pads before every ride, making sure its not cracking or breaking off chunks especially when they are thin.

Shimano brakes start feeling spongy when the pads hit about 1.5mm to go. Avid can be run a lot further than that, usually you'll notice when the springs catch on the rotors... ideally they should be changed before this point, but this doesn't always happen.

Discs as per above posts.

Shimano brakes start feeling spongy when the pads hit about 1.5mm to go. Avid can be run a lot further than that, usually you'll notice when the springs catch on the rotors... ideally they should be changed before this point, but this doesn't always happen.

Discs as per above posts.

Nope, they start "sticking/not releasing" properly after you braked.

Ask me, I know. Did a ride where I had to do about 20km of riding with an front wheel that was almost locked solid. It was so bad I could see the fork shuddering.

Replaced the brake pads, problem solved.

2.5mm of pad left is still a lot?

Yes it is but any less and the pad will abosrb too much heat which will start to break down the pad material and accelerate wear.

The brake pads on a car or motorcycle are replaced on a similar basis hence there is a minimum wear mark on the the automotive stuff,

If there is no wear indicator on your MTB pads then measure the new pad brake material thickness and consider 50% of that to a heat sink. When 50% is worn, bin the pads.

For disc rotors, if the rotor has lost 0.5mm of material then its ready to be turned into wind chimes

Can I take this opportunity to tell you guys that I I hate Avid brakes :ph34r:

Welcome to the club.

Membership card is on its way!

you are # 752896032 in the queue.