Not so hot dismounts in action

BarHugger

My questions is, how do you know how fast is fast enough to clear the gap but not overshoot... My theory is the faster the better... but ish happens by the looks of it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My questions is, how do you know how fast is fast enough to clear the gap but not overshoot... My theory is the faster the better... but ish happens by the looks of it.

How hard must a golfer swing to land on the green?

Practice! Practice! Practice!

Eventually it becomes like an instinct/second nature. One can judge the ammount of speed and boost (a technique used to work the lip of a launch to get more out of it) required to clear a gap safely and smoothly.

Whilst in the air a rider can also control (to some extent) when they want to land.

That said... even the pros still get it wrong...

When a golfer makes a mistake, they land in the rough. When a mtber makes a mistake, they land up in hospital....

But you're right, just need to find a place to practise those type of jumps.

I have been eyeing the smaller jumps in front of that gap for a while now, trying to get the courage to do them.

When a golfer makes a mistake, they land in the rough. When a mtber makes a mistake, they land up in hospital....

I have been eyeing the smaller jumps in front of that gap for a while now, trying to get the courage to do them.

I think the golfer analogy is a good one...its a feeling.

PS go to the bike park and have a play day...lots of lines and jumps to start from small to biggish.

JC...how was the tyre and rim?

Hi Wayne. Tyre held air and I still managed to ride it 8km to Fratelles but the rims is bent and the seam slightly split. So gonna need a new one. which sux cause these wheels are only 3weeks and 400km old. :( :( :(

Dammit.

Only if you land horribly wrong. This weekend we (6 of us) went to Paarl and G Spot. Of the 6, 4 crashed. One BADLY. On a huuuuge double rock drop (drop, 2m further on DROP) and went OTB, landing on his kop on the rocks below. Definite concussion, and some lekker roasties on his back, but nothing broken. The other 3 - 1 hugged a tree, 1 washed out on a corner and another just lost the front on landing a jump. None of them had any injuries. So yeah, there's the potential to land and injure yourself. But as Kelly McGarry showed here - the human body is remarkably resilient and far tougher than we give it credit for.

yeah, their lawyer's spidey-sense will start tingling!

But yeah, did you hit it again after that run?

I've found with most of the jumps I've been hyping up in my head (ie. road gap at thaba or jugg's big one on cascades DH track) that my first attempt felt sketchy and terrifying, but then I know how to adjust and it just gets better from there.

Hey Dude

would have been keen to try and hit it again but my wheel was not quite round. haha. and noone wanted to lend me their wheel. haha

I did have a mate offer me his Spez stumpy FSR to try it again but I have abot 18kg on him and his suspension wheezes when I pedal let alone jump it. so i thought i would cut my losses at a new rim and skip the Suspension rebuild. hahahaha

Only if you land horribly wrong. This weekend we (6 of us) went to Paarl and G Spot. Of the 6, 4 crashed. One BADLY. On a huuuuge double rock drop (drop, 2m further on DROP) and went OTB, landing on his kop on the rocks below. Definite concussion, and some lekker roasties on his back, but nothing broken. The other 3 - 1 hugged a tree, 1 washed out on a corner and another just lost the front on landing a jump. None of them had any injuries. So yeah, there's the potential to land and injure yourself. But as Kelly McGarry showed here - the human body is remarkably resilient and far tougher than we give it credit for.

haha that was my theory, like I said to myself before the jump. "I'm not made of porcelain, whats the worst that can happen, I fall and still get kudos from my mates." haha.

haha that was my theory, like I said to myself before the jump. "I'm not made of porcelain, whats the worst that can happen, I fall and still get kudos from my mates." haha.

yeah. One thing I will say though, is this - I'm going to be wearing my full face helmet far more often now. I don't care if I look goofy or not. On 3 of those stacks, there would have been facial damage if there weren't a full face lid. One oke lost the insert on his chin-piece, so he literally would have eaten it had he been using a normal helmet. 

Exactly! Whilst I myself am held together by various plates, screws, and even wire (see pic here), the human body is tougher than we give it credit for.

I had quite a violent looking OTB on that gym-jump (I was being stupid and trying to jump it in reverse). I cased the "landing" (launch), and got flung over the bars onto my head.

My friends all stood there fearing the worst, I stood up and laughed, and that definitely broke the tension. Kudos ensued.

For me the thing that gets to me before I go for a jump is "how does the take off feel"...Because some like that big one, it is smooth on take off but with a FS bike you need either a lot of speed if you dont have the techique yet. Others have a bit of a 'kick' to it. Some send you high and others send you far, some actually just doesnt send you anywhere and with all these you have to work it differently.

I did a few jumps yesterday in the bike park for the 1st time ever on a HT. Oh my does that feel totally different. The bike is much more responsive and I need to do very little to get it in the air (which is scary at 1st). The landing needs way more of the 'jelly legs' because the 1st few landings I got shocks up my spine. :blush:

SO if you have a FS....peddal your ass off for the jumps, lean back and keep jelly legs when landing. That is the safest I would say.

For me the thing that gets to me before I go for a jump is "how does the take off feel"...Because some like that big one, it is smooth on take off but with a FS bike you need either a lot of speed if you dont have the techique yet. Others have a bit of a 'kick' to it. Some send you high and others send you far, some actually just doesnt send you anywhere and with all these you have to work it differently.

I did a few jumps yesterday in the bike park for the 1st time ever on a HT. Oh my does that feel totally different. The bike is much more responsive and I need to do very little to get it in the air (which is scary at 1st). The landing needs way more of the 'jelly legs' because the 1st few landings I got shocks up my spine. :blush:

SO if you have a FS....peddal your ass off for the jumps, lean back and keep jelly legs when landing. That is the safest I would say.

I have a HT. Will practice on some smaller jumps that you find all along the spruit. And maybe hit the bike park.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a HT. Will practice on some smaller jumps that you find all along the spruit. And maybe hit the bike park.

Thanks for all the advice.

I personally think a hard tail is the best bike to learn how to do small jumps on as there are no surprises from overzealous rebound settings and so on. JCMeyers video is a great advert for those forks (and his balls)!

I personally think a hard tail is the best bike to learn how to do small jumps on as there are no surprises from overzealous rebound settings and so on. JCMeyers video is a great advert for those forks (and his balls)!

hahaha thanx bugger

I developed the Ilze Involuntary Dismount Scale (IIDS) after a friend of mine started dismounting fairly often.

Level 0 :

Rider claims involuntary dismount occurred, but cannot provide any evidence or witness. Basically, it never happened! --> Treatment : None

Level 1 :

Involuntary dismount witnessed, but no visible injuries to rider other than pride. --> Treatment : None

Level 2 :

Minor bruising and grazing of skin, no blood. Includes getting smacked in the privates by your stem without passing out. --> Treatment : None

Level 3 :

Substaintial bruising and grazing of the skin. No wet bleeding. --> Treatment : First Aid Kit

Level 4 :

Bruising and cuts with flowing blood not requiring stitches. --> Treatment : First Aid Kit

Level 5 :

Temporary loss of consciousness not requiring hospitalisation. Includes passing out after getting smacked in the privates by your stem. --> Treatment : First Aid Kit

Level 6 :

Bruising and cuts with flowing blood requiring stitches. --> Treatment : Outpatient

Level 7 :

Substantial bruising, sprained joints requiring recovery and treatment of joint by doctor. --> Treatment : Outpatient

Level 8 :

Extended loss of consciousness or concussion requiring hospitalisation and CAT scans. --> Treatment : Hospitalisation

Level 9 :

Broken bones requiring hospitalisation and resetting with plates and pins. Internal bleeding. --> Treatment : Hospitalisation

Level 10 :

Let's hope nobody goes here. --> Treatment : Not required.

It's with a certain amount of pride that I can say I was a Level 9!