Just another reason why motorists hate cyclists

Have not read the full thread! But the only thing wrong with the photo is SA law.

1. It is Illegal to ride continuously inside a yellow line - unless marked as a cycle lane as well - not sure if this road is. Thus the only Legal cyclist is the one in the road! But been legal does not help you when you dead!

2. The fact the RSA is the only country in the world where it is illegal to ride 2 a breast need to be brought in line with the rest of the world - where it is perfectly legal. Cape Town is becoming more and more a international cycling tourist destination esp. in summer and cyclist should get the same respect all over the world to their right also to use the roads. But in the photo as the rider riding 2 abreast are not on the road but inside the emergency lane (which is illegal) they not actually breaking the law on been 2 abreast!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

after 11 pages of reading the only crime I could see those guys committing is a fashion crime; they wore bright dayglo yellow. <spits>

as for their riding, I passed them in Lakeside on my way home. They were riding single phile where it mattered so I'd say they knwo the rules better than most

Swear I have not seen so many bullies since primary school, hell The Hub has become a patronizing place. Live and let live, for goodness' sake!

Edited by Karooryder

Technically as the law stands, one guy is on the road way, he is not breaking any law. You on the other hand would have broken the law had you not changed lanes to pass them as there was one cyclist occupying a lane.

There is absolutely no law to be found in the National Road Traffic Act 93 of 1996 that prohibits cyclists from riding legitimately in a traffic lane, no matter what the speed of that lane is. Other than on a motorway.

There is no mention whatsoever of a slower moving vehicle having to move over for an approaching vehicle traveling at a higher speed. And a bicycle is defined as a vehicle in the Act.

A cyclist, has every right to use the whole lane when riding by law (NRT Act 93 of 1996). A cyclist also has the right to overtake other bicycles on their right side.

And I know the law states you cannot overtake an overtaking vehicle. But the fact that I try ride on the left of the lane or in the yellow is my consideration for other road users. Not because I have to.

I also have the right to ride in the lane I'm in without being hooted at aggressively or being intimidated by idiots motorists who don't know what my rights are or the law is.

Most of you always try and hide behind "What Does The LAW Say" and most of us are motorist. Show me one road law that is not broken by motorist every single day which in danger every one of us.

My point is, if it is not safe in a car every day, what change have cyclist have. Our responsibility as cyclist is to be aware of our surroundings at all times, and we need to ride were and how is the safest while enjoying ourselves, and be on the lookout for potential killers. So if that mean not being able to ride two abreast most of the time, then rather this than what could go wrong.

Come on guys and girls, we don't live in a perfect world, so let us improvise our passion to be safe, and not to what's right, or wrong.

When I was last in Switzerland noticed this - a car will see pedestrians approaching a crossing - slow down, stop and let them cross before continuing. Pedestrians and cyclists have the right of way. Its the law

Ja, weird how they use those stripy lines on the road can magically make cars stop over there.

Oh, so you earned the right to laugh at them and show disrespect..........

If I had to keep score each time a person called maer gat, stokkies, spaghetti string, aids ridden (yeah, can you believe it), I'd have the complex you are suffering from.

It runs both ways.The guys are just poking fun at the riders.

Are those the wales from W2W?

Thats a brave comment for a pic less person. How about racing against them. Looks like the guy was overtaking the other cyclist. Have you never gone over the yellow line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a brave comment for a pic less person. How about racing against them. Looks like the guy was overtaking the other cyclist. Have you never gone over the yellow line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Impressive use of the exclamation mark there Smurfy

http://i.qkme.me/3ojnzf.jpg

Are those the wales from W2W?

Maybe they're training for that new "Buffalo" category or whatever it's called?

• 1 month later...

Cant see the problem...dikkus could be overtaking...they do not have to ride in the emergency lane btw

Dikkes is to slow to over take haha