2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

+1mil

He likes holidaying here in SA but doesn't want us. He's a Brit from Kenya that lives in Monaco.

He must go stay there, We've got daryl, Rynie and Louis Mentjez who will give him hard time sooner rather than later.

Not to mention all the other talent from SA riding in the pro peleton, We've good some serious talent of our own.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't we agree not to use the words "Froome" and "South African" in the same sentence? He has publically stated would prefer to be known as a Brit from Kenya.

I've never seen this statement from the Froome Dawg.

Have a link, Blackbeard?

+1mil

He likes holidaying here in SA but doesn't want us. He's a Brit from Kenya that lives in Monaco.

As a multi-generational South African, the feeling is mutual.

Have a link, Blackbeard?

Not to hand. Its covered in a number of articles in cycling mags around last years TDF. He also stated it publically in a televised interview after one of the stages last year.

Sorry I can't be of more help Dale. I read quite a few cycling publications and cannot recall the specific titles or issues.

I do recall further that on the issue of cycling in his youth he was effusive about learning all his cycling in Kenya (he named the person who assisted him greatly). No mention made of the time spent in South Africa or his cycling here.

Clearly his handlers have provided a version for public consumption and he is sticking to the script.

Can't we agree not to use the words "Froome" and "South African" in the same sentence? He has publically stated would prefer to be known as a Brit from Kenya.

So long as he says stuff like "chuffed to bits", I taking him as a South African! :)

Have a link, Blackbeard?

I too read it, cant find the exact one but here is a ref from another article which he was qouted in,

"Froome always raced under the Kenyan flag, up until 2008 0r 2009 when he suddenly became British. Despite spending his entire life in either Kenya or South Africa, Froome said he always “felt British”

Not to hand. Its covered in a number of articles in cycling mags around last years TDF. He also stated it publically in a televised interview after one of the stages last year.

Sorry I can't be of more help Dale. I read quite a few cycling publications and cannot recall the specific titles or issues.

I do recall further that on the issue of cycling in his youth he was effusive about learning all his cycling in Kenya (he named the person who assisted him greatly). No mention made of the time spent in South Africa or his cycling here.

Clearly his handlers have provided a version for public consumption and he is sticking to the script.

Thanx for being clearer.

Appreciated.

:thumbup:

So long as he says stuff like "chuffed to bits", I taking him as a South African! :)

We all know Froome has spent, and does spend, a lot of time in SA, but he does not see himself as a South African. Both Phil Liggett and Jan Ullrich spend time here and we don't claim them as South Africans.

In my suburb in Cape Town, I am surrounded by about 8 households from the UK. In fact British and German expats make up a very large percentage of our community. They live here permanently and many have done so for longer than Froome has been in SA, but every one of them will deny they are South African if it were put to them.

Edit: spelling and syntax.

Something refreshing and important for this year's Tdf.

Well done UCI

http://www.dailymoti...ance-2014_sport

The one-day, elite women’s cycling race will finish on the famed Champs-Elysées prior to the finale of this year’s final stage of the Tour de France on Sunday, July 27, 2014. Exact TV times will be announced at a later date.

Les Reines de Paris – La Course by Le Tour de… by tourdefrance

The first-year event will feature 100 cyclists battling it out over 13 laps over 90 kilometers of the Tour de France’s final circuit down the Champs-Élysées.

The women’s peloton will be comprised of 20 teams with six riders each competing for a €22,500 individual prize, the same sum awarded to Tour stage winners. In addition to the elite cyclists, policewomen from the Paris Police Prefecture will be responsible for watching over La Course, which will also have a 100% female jury.

Well I agree with you and him. He is not South African and technically is a brit from Kenya. It will be a very South African thing to roast him about this. Maybe hard for some to believe but everybody does not want to be a "proudly Suf Efrican"

If Andy Schleck can bring his 2010 TDF form, he may be the rider best able to beat Chris Froome.

But then again that's one very big IF!

J-Rod

Valverde

are the riders I will support for their all out effort last year. Will not support the Dog this year 'cause I don't like it when somebody wins it year after year.

J-Rod

Valverde

are the riders I will support for their all out effort last year. Will not support the Dog this year 'cause I don't like it when somebody wins it year after year.

Not sure J-Rod will be there

If Andy Schleck can bring his 2010 TDF form, he may be the rider best able to beat Chris Froome.

But then again that's one very big IF!

Nope

He is tailspinning and is not due to make any impression

Top 20 would be quite exceptional

His career is in trouble as his contract is ending and there isn't much to show for the last 3 years.

I am open to a massive surprize

Not sure J-Rod will be there

Katusha is very tentative about his inclusion

I reckon it'll happen

Does the course suit him though?

Enough steep gradients? Haven't really looked yet

Archived