2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

So much happened to today. Just watched it again and you have to say brave move by the organisers to drop the cobbles in but at what cost as an overall race. I loved it but there are a lot of riders in the tour who flat out won't race Roubaix and don't know how to ride the cobbles. But most of the mayhem seemed to be on the tarmac rather than the pave. It's taken out the reigning champ and denied us of a Conti vs Froome duel (and now Nibs as the many reports saying he wasn't a contender don't seem so true).

Really though the truth is that a true GC rider needs to be good across the board and deal with what ever is thrown at it. Nibs got a lot of action in the classic season. Froome, Conti and more only recce'd the pave a couple of weeks ago in the dry. Most were looking to survive out there and stay out of trouble while the leader looked to get the race by the scruff of the neck and shake it until it started to haemorrhage. Van Garderen had a sook about the inclusion of the cobbles but then apologised for looking like a spoilt princess and admitted he's never ridden the cobbles - there is the issue.

How much is too much now? Normally at this stage a couple of minutes down on the jersey wouldn't matter the the main guys as usually it's not one of the contenders... Think the winner and podium placers has to be within 4 minutes on the jersey and that's still a big ask.

Most interesting I reckon is Porte. Hasn't done much this year but is sitting under 2 minutes off the pace. Everyone knows his TT is massive, the team around him is still strong and he's proved himself in the past in the mtns but normally pinning it for someone else's cause.

Who do you reckon are the top 3 in here?

1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 20:26:46

2 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team 0:00:02

3 Peter Sagan (Svk) Cannondale 0:00:44

4 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 0:00:50

5 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek Factory Racing 0:01:17

6 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol 0:01:45

7 Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto-Belisol

8 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:01:54

9 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin - Sharp 0:02:05

10 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:02:11

11 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale

12 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team

13 Rui Alberto Costa (Por) Lampre - Merida

14 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:02:16

15 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:02:25

16 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Giant-Shimano

17 Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha

18 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling 0:02:27

19 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:02:37

20 Jan Bakelants (Bel) Omega Pharma-Quick Step§ 0:02:39

21 Peter Velits (Svk) BMC Racing Team 0:02:44

22 Marco Marcato (Ita) Cannondale 0:03:23

23 Michael Albasini (Swi) Orica Greenedge 0:03:29

24 Jean-Christophe Péraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale

25 Mikel Nieve Iturralde (Spa) Team Sky

26 Tiago Machado (Por) Team Netapp-Endura 0:03:59

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much is too much?

1 stage in 4 years is not enough.

The best rider overall should be able to ride in all conditions and on all types of terrain.

IF Nibali wins this Tour thrn based on the first 5 stages, he has been pretty good. Lrts see how he does in the mountains (going up, as we knoe he's a good descender) and the TT.

How much is too much?

I was referring to actual time. How much time behind is too much? Over 5 minutes back be too much, one really bad day would cancel alot out as would a bad TT.

The best rider overall should be able to ride in all conditions and on all types of terrain.

100% on the best man, should do it all and not just hinge on one thing / strength. A lot of interviews today with riders complaining about the inclusion of the cobbles. As Sparticus said 'I don't complain each year that there are mountain in the route, why complain about this'.

I was referring to actual time. How much time behind is too much? Over 5 minutes back be too much, one really bad day would cancel alot out as would a bad TT.

100% on the best man, should do it all and not just hinge on one thing / strength. A lot of interviews today with riders complaining about the inclusion of the cobbles. As Sparticus said 'I don't complain each year that there are mountain in the route, why complain about this'.

Absolutely. . I think the tour has for far too long been catering for certain riders.

It should be that the best man wins finished and klaar. It's the TDF it's supposed to be hard, look at the Giro and the Vuelta. . Tough as nails.

Btw I read a froome tweet, that his injury to his wrist made it too hard to control the bike.. in that case he would've really had battled on the cobbles.

Oops, my bad.

Time can be lost anywhere. Valverde lost a

Two things come to my mind this morning ...

Why the talk of Porte, I thought Sky are just making up the numbers without Chris or God forbid Sir Brad?

How many other teams have a real GC contender if their plan A falls through?

Why the talk of Porte, I thought Sky are just making up the numbers without Chris or God forbid Sir Brad?

My money is still on Berto. Its only day 6 and we have 15 more stages to go. Don't get me wrong I like Nibs and he would be a deserved winner. Contador just seems to be in so much better form. Let's not forget the tour can be won by 8secs and we have a TT on penultimate stage.

Archived