2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nibs pulling the Pave wheelie.... fingers off those brakes now! ;)

post-15825-0-70841500-1404937036_thumb.jpg

This is such a cool photo. Nibali surely has some of the best bike handling skills

I'm also in the 'you have to be able to ride whatever is thrown at you' and 'the conditions are the same for everyone' camp.

They are professionals after all. The best should be able to ride any surface associated with road racing and any weather conditions to happen on the day, whether it be snow or rain or heat.

Like a dropped chain or a crash, it is all part of racing.

Nibali really surprised yesterday and his team supported him very well. I hope Conto and the other GC riders up their game in the mountains which will make for exciting racing, we all know that Contodor will go all out.

From a viewers perspective, with Nibali in yellow, Contador well down in time, and Froome gone, it is the best thing we could possibly have hoped for.

Nibali will go balls to the wall, Contador has to attack wherever possible, and all the other outside hopefuls will also think they now have a better chance of achieving a good result.

It's going to make for great racing (and viewing).

It is a huge ask of Astana to control the race for so long. They need a break with the right riders in to look after yellow for a while, like Voekler in the past.

So they were complaining about cobbles being included in the race, but most of the crashes I saw happened on the bends and traffic circles, with the odd crash here and there on the cobbles.

9/10 for van den Broeck (hope he's okay). He would have got a 10 if he landed on his wheels.

Porte is Sky's new leader. All the best to him. I like Porte. Does he have the legs? Not sure

Porte is Sky's new leader. All the best to him. I like Porte. Does he have the legs? Not sure

I reckon Sky will be ecstatic with a top 5

Someone asked yesterday if they were a loon for hoping and believing that Nibali could hold onto yellow till the end. Although all the usual cliché were thrown about, (TDF isn't won in the 1st week, bad TT vs Contador , etc) after yesterdays performance from Nibali himself, showing so much guts on the cobbles and overtaking riders as if there was nothing wrong with the conditions, i would have to say that i too am a loon then. But most importantly Nibali and the whole Astana team are loons too, for the way they supported him and the self belief the guy showed yesterday they all BELIEVE he can keep it till Paris.

Go SHARKIE!!!!

Don't think so.

He always has one really, really bad day.

So they were complaining about cobbles being included in the race, but most of the crashes I saw happened on the bends and traffic circles, with the odd crash here and there on the cobbles.

9/10 for van den Broeck (hope he's okay). He would have got a 10 if he landed on his wheels.

They were saying that was because the pace was high leading into the cobbles, with so many trying to get to/stay in the front.

They were saying that was because the pace was high leading into the cobbles, with so many trying to get to/stay in the front.

Risk and reward...good ol racing.

I liked the stage. Roubaix is probably the most important/most watched single day race in France, if not the world. Why should it not feature in the worlds biggest stage race? Also, there are many many stages just for sprinters, stages for climbers, for TT riders, there should be one for the classics men, too.

Racing over the cobbles of Northern Europe is almost as old as bicycle racing itself. One only has to think of the rich history of races like Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Gent-Wevelgem, Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne etc. For the route of the TdF to be representative of racing in France I feel that each edition should include at least one cobbled stage. What is more Nibali proved yesterday that it is possible for a tiny mountain goat like himself to hold their own and even excel on the cobbles against the strong men of the spring classics. I say HTFU!

Don't think so.

He always has one really, really bad day.

Hopefully that was stage 2.

I reckon Sky will be ecstatic with a top 5

Double post

Edited by Maniax