2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

Crosswinds can also play a huge role,was it last year that the Belkin boys ripped them apart on one stage and Valverde missed it and lost almost 10 minutes...on a flat stage.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02969/tdf_5_froome_car_2_2969515k.jpg

saw the guy taking that shot in the video....a bit invasive, got chased away by the marshall in the end.

Was froomedawg the only retirement yesterday? and he came into the stage all strapped up, so it wasn't carnage from an abandon angle.

...and a looooooong time to defend yellow. If he can do it, good on him.

I get the feeling the TT will be decisive, yet again. Contador made life difficult for himself yesterday, losing time to Porte as well. However, going on pre-Tour form, he should be able to make up the time in the mountains as both Porte and Nibali were pretty poor coming into the race. But what if they're not...

Nibs was not that bad in the Dauphine...he just struggled with the big power Froome was pushing when on attack...the rest he was able to deal with fine.

I think he timed hes form right because the power he was producing yesterday was amazing and that is not going to go away.Will serve him well in the mountains and the TT.

He is also very lean now and hes team is strong so I think unless he makes a mistake he will be hard to beat.

But i hope it remains a battle to the end with the gaps small going into the TT to keep thing interesting all the way!

Would love to see a Kwaitkowski or Talansky take it to the older riders also!!

I really don't mind who wins the Tour, but I am hoping for a few surprises here and there - like the Dauphine and Swiss tours ended.

So:

• If Contador wants to win, he must adopt an attitude of do-or-die, and not protect a place on the podium, that's assuming he can get there;
  • If Nibali wants to win, he must carry on doing what he has been doing on the two stages he finished 1st and 3rd;
  • Talansky - repeat his heroics from the Dauphine, although I don't think the others may allow him the opportunity, know what he's done before;
  • Valverde is there and thereabouts, he needs to win a few stages like we know he can. Slowly make up the time on the medium mountain stages;
  • There are 4 young riders in the top 15 of the GC (excl Sagan), all within 2:25 of Nibali. Hopefully Pinot, Kwiatowski, Bardet and Dumoulin can attack each other and not hitch a free ride with the main GC contenders.

It's from Dutch cycling website called Het die Koers

Thanks, found it - Het is Koers

I quite like the comments they put in at the bottom of each stage

post-1372-0-48435900-1404977114_thumb.png

post-1372-0-57540600-1404977119_thumb.png

It's still a looong way to Paris for one team to defend the jersey and a big ask with so many people down the log and needing to make up time. There are a lot of teams that can attack day after day.

Jeez, can you believe we're only 5 stages in? 6 flat stages, 4 hilly, 6 mountain and 1 ITT to go. How stoked would you be if you were one of Nibali's domestiques...

So they were complaining about cobbles being included in the race, but most of the crashes I saw happened on the bends and traffic circles, with the odd crash here and there on the cobbles.

Traffic circles (of which there are millions throughout europe), bends and intersections are where diesel is most likely to be found (spillage from trucks etc as they change direction). Often traffic circles are built with a slight off camber which makes it worse.....coupled with summer weather (less rain to wash the roads) the diesel quickly accumulates and then when it rains it's just like ice, you have no control and only good luck can stop you from falling.

Edited by SwissVan

Was froomedawg the only retirement yesterday? and he came into the stage all strapped up, so it wasn't carnage from an abandon angle.

Yes unless theres non-starters today

I'm rooting for Porte. Perfect opportunity to shine. Watching him ride himself into the ground day after day for Froome last year earned him my respect (which I'm sure he's really thankful for).

I remember back when real men like Tyler Hamilton refused to quit and raced with broken collar bones, in so much pain they ground their teeth down... They don't make them like they used to...

I'm rooting for Porte. Perfect opportunity to shine. Watching him ride himself into the ground day after day for Froome last year earned him my respect (which I'm sure he's really thankful for).

I remember back when real men like Tyler Hamilton refused to quit and raced with broken collar bones, in so much pain they ground their teeth down... They don't make them like they used to...

You'd have to say that some of today's riders don't exactly look like tough guys :ph34r:

dunno...http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2161kq_tour-de-france-2014-etape-5-chris-froome-c-est-une-immense-deception_sport