2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rooting for Porte. Perfect opportunity to shine. Watching him ride himself into the ground day after day for Froome last year earned him my respect (which I'm sure he's really thankful for).

I remember back when real men like Tyler Hamilton refused to quit and raced with broken collar bones, in so much pain they ground their teeth down... They don't make them like they used to...

Women like Speedy doing an Epic stage with a broken collarbone ?

Women like Speedy doing an Epic stage with a broken collarbone ?

Exactly...

Look at WSBK and MotoGP. Far greater pressures being exerted on wrists, knees, joints etc. Okes go down hard at massive speeds in qualifying and practice and break/fracture bones, take a pain injection before the race and keep going...

Traffic circles (of which there are millions throughout europe), bends and intersections are where diesel is most likely to be found (spillage from trucks etc as they change direction). Often traffic circles are built with a slight off camber which makes it worse.....coupled with summer weather (less rain to wash the roads) the diesel quickly accumulates and then when it rains it's just like ice, you have no control and only good luck can stop you from falling.

The Giro this year also saw a lot crashes, for the same reasons, that took out J-Rod and others

I wonder who is more disappointed, Froome Dawg for not being able to race or his girl friend for not being able to prance around the Champs Élysées as if she has personally just won, like she did last year.

Tweet her, ask her the same question..... KABOOOOM. I think Chris crashed out, just so that he could keep her phone in check for the next 3 weeks.

Exactly...

Look at WSBK and MotoGP. Far greater pressures being exerted on wrists, knees, joints etc. Okes go down hard at massive speeds in qualifying and practice and break/fracture bones, take a pain injection before the race and keep going...

Thats a dumb statement. MotoGP riders have better protection and dont need to move muscles at a high rate for their bike to go forward. Plus if a cyclist gets that Pain injection he would most probably be banned as it will have some drug in that is on the list. Not questioning the dedication of the Motogp Riders vs cyclist, just raising my opinion about your statement :thumbup:

EDIT: Poor spelling as usual

Edited by ScottC-M

I'm rooting for Porte. Perfect opportunity to shine. Watching him ride himself into the ground day after day for Froome last year earned him my respect (which I'm sure he's really thankful for).

+1

Exactly...

Not 100%. MotoGP Riders use hands ect. more for control, not going forward stuff. The bikes engine = riders legs and core. If you want to use your example, take out a piece of the bikes motor, moer it with a hammer really hard, something like a crank, and then put it back and expect it to run the same as the rest. Rubbing a bit of mercurochrome on a Honda RCV crankcase will not make it better.

Edited by Patchelicious

Not much excitement ahead of todays stage. Guess it will be another one for Kittel.

The one year I actually don't watch any of the first flat days not expecting much and look what happens. Time to start watching the tour me thinks.

Not much excitement ahead of todays stage. Guess it will be another one for Kittel.

yip the kittel show for the win no doubt.

It would have been better if they had another cobbled stage (or 2) in the race.

It would have balanced the race even better, and also perhaps give some classics riders a go at the GC.

(imagine that)

The one year I actually don't watch any of the first flat days not expecting much and look what happens. Time to start watching the tour me thinks.

I cant remember when last a Grand Tour has been filled with so much action from stage 1.

Thats a dumb statement. MotoGP riders have better protection and dont need to more muscles at a high rate for their bike to go forward. Plus if a cyclist gets that Pain injection he would most probably be banned as it will have some drug in that is on the list. Not questioning the dedication of the Motogp Riders vs cyclist, just raising my opinion about your statement :thumbup:

Or, what's dumb is your understanding of the statement. Forget about the protection, apples with apples, an injury is an injury, whether sustained at 120km/h through the protection of a leather suit and glove, or at 40km/ without. Let's look at Froome's wrist injury. He withdrew after several crashes, and the reason for said crashes was because his wrist injury made it impossible for him to control his bike. Let's not bring the impact of any cobbles into it, seeing as his crashes came before the cobbles. Chris' wrist has as much to do with propelling him forward as a MotoGP riders ass has in propelling him forward. Both would certainly experience difficulty in handling their machines with said injury, (ever braked into a corner from 200+ km/h on a superbike and felt what kind of strain that puts on your wrists if your knees aren't locked into the tank...?, and have u picked the bike up from full lean to switch direction through a chicane and grabbed a hand full of throttle on exit, using your wrist to twist it....? both are far more strenuous on your wrists than getting your Pinarello around a bend). The WSBK okes are tested and have to abide by the same anti doping rules, (one of my best mates races in SBK and has to pee in a cup regularly), so no, the pain shots won't be 'on the list'. Maybe a motorcycle racer is more inclined to get back on the bike after a crash, in the confidence that his gear will protect what he's already hurt, but by that argument, did Chris quit because he was too sore to continue, or because he was scared he'd fall again...?

Edited by MTBaaisikilist