Need a new LBS

ScottCM

When did you buy the bike? I would take it back to where you bought it and discuss the matter with regard to warranty. Definitely looks like has been over tightened and once some physical stress has been put on the part when riding it cracked.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't touched my bike with tools except to re-tighten the seat after the LBS loosened it, as i was scared i might end up braking things on it, but seen they possibly brake it themselves and dont say anything i might as well just do it myself in future.

As for OLX or the LBS tainting the MOMSEN brand, NEVER, i love this bike.

PS on this mornings ride my gears started jumping / Slipping again :cursing:

not saying it was you ScottC-M, I would put my money on the LBS you took it to help sort out the gears are the culprit. I am pretty sure one can get a replacement housing cover, but as for cost??? I cant really comment on Rietvlei guys - have never used them, but Linden Cycles (ask for Wolfgang or Edu) they do a great job of looking after my machine - which happens to be a 229 as well :thumbup: .

Where the cable goes into the shifter, there is an adjustment knob you can either tighten or slacken the shifter cables, try tighten the cable a bit or loosen it - feel the tension of the cables under the top tube - if they feel loose then tighten a bit on the adjuster on the shifter. I am making the assumption it is the rear that is slipping?

Where the cable goes into the shifter, there is an adjustment knob you can either tighten or slacken the shifter cables, try tighten the cable a bit or loosen it - feel the tension of the cables under the top tube - if they feel loose then tighten a bit on the adjuster on the shifter. I am making the assumption it is the rear that is slipping?

Yes it is the rear, and if that is all it take WTF did the OLD LBS charge me R80 to do that???

Thanks fore the advice i shall try that out and test it tonight on the way home.

Edited by ScottC-M

Yes it is the rear, and if that is all it take WTF did the OLD LBS charge me R80 to do that???

Thanks fore the advice i shall try that out and test it tonight on the way home.

I assume that you are an old loyal customer of the said shop that you expect them to be doing things for free?

Nope , just do things right the first time and not brake things.

If you read the topic from the start, it was never about paying / being charged, it was about poor workmanship

Edited by ScottC-M

remember - small adjustments at a time

Nope , just do things right the first time and not brake things.

If you read the topic from the start, it was never about paying / being charged, it was about poor workmanship

yeah ScottC-M, I'm with you on this one, if they are going to charge - then do the job right. LBS's are becoming like car dealerships :ph34r:

The brakes are very easy to re-align if the catching is from side to side, i.e they are almost binding. Loosen the brake caliper bolts just enough so there is a little amount of movement. Spin the wheel and then pull the respective brake lever. Do this 2-3 times and on the last attempt, keep the brake lever in and tighten the bolts - be careful not to over tighten these. Should be sorted. Your bike has the Tektro HDC 300 brakes, and I found that it took a few spins of the wheel to get it all sorted. I have upgraded my brake system, so a lot more easy to adjust and braking / modulation is now top shelf.

If you have any other queries, PM me and I will assist as best I can.

I assume that you are an old loyal customer of the said shop that you expect them to be doing things for free?

here is a scenario to ponder. Customer comes into LBS with a request that will take all of a few minutes to do, they take the bike into the workshop, let the customer browse around (he may even purchase something) and not even 5 minutes later he comes back with the bike. Customer enquires as to the cost, and the LBS says, no probs all sorted. Customer leaves and is rather impressed that he was not charged - the likelihood of him returning back to that LBS is more than 10 fold.

Now I am not saying work should be carried out for free, but the chance of the client returning and therefore becoming that "old loyal customer". Charge where it is warranted, and I can almost assure you that even if the price is a little higher than somewhere else, this new loyal customer will pay with a smile. Of course - that's if he is not being completely ripped off, but I think you get my drift on this one....

Now I am not saying work should be carried out for free, but the chance of the client returning and therefore becoming that "old loyal customer". Charge where it is warranted, and I can almost assure you that even if the price is a little higher than somewhere else, this new loyal customer will pay with a smile. Of course - that's if he is not being completely ripped off, but I think you get my drift on this one....

Fooling yourself a bit with that, almost nobody and I mean, nobody is loyal.

Takers - yes.

Loyal - no.

well is a momsen 229 brought you so much joy, just wait until u get a real bike!

as it has been said before, its not about the bike (ducks, runs, hides)

Fooling yourself a bit with that, almost nobody and I mean, nobody is loyal.

Takers - yes.

Loyal - no.

Agreed.

The shop I moonlight in on Saturdays has also taught me another lesson. The amount a customer spends is often inversely proportional to the amount of crap you get from them. And inversely proportional to the amount of free stuff that is expected from you.

Agreed.

The shop I moonlight in on Saturdays has also taught me another lesson. The amount a customer spends is often inversely proportional to the amount of crap you get from them. And inversely proportional to the amount of free stuff that is expected from you.

those darn pesky customers......

Agreed.

Lol

Agreed.

I don't expect anything from my LBS except that they do things right the first time, if I have to return my bike to have something fixed, or if the mechanic speaks bullsh1t to me (like one did, telling me that my shimano hubs don't need labyrinth seals), I'll not return, you know how far I am from EL. The reason I do all of my own work now, but the one LBS owner is starting to impress me with his work, but now that I have the tools and the knowledge, why must I transport my bike 100km to have it seen to?