Need a new LBS

ScottCM

So my Momsen 2014 AL229 Bike which is the best thing to ever happen to me, (dont tell my wife and Kids) needed to go to the LBS.

post-46817-0-29890700-1382610088_thumb.jpg

The gears kept jumping / slipping while changing and the final straw was when i got out the saddle and the chain jumped off and got stuck between the chainstay and cassette, which caused my knee and handlebar to connect solidly.

So in it went, i pointed out to the LBS that the rear wheel slightly catches the brake discs but not majorly. No problem with the front.

When i went and picked up my bike my saddle was loose enough for two dwarfs to play see-saw on. my seat post was lowered too, now i'm no mechanic but what are they doing up there on my bike when the problem is on the gears at the back? (maybe there stand clamped on the seat post )

I let it go and was charged for gear setting, and brake disc aligning for the rear and the front. But the front was fine , i let it go and thought maybe i just dont know it but there was a problem. On the way out i asked the owner what the tyre pressure should be and he said 3Bar all round. :eek:

Rode my bike but wasn't happy, thought maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

This morning i hand no fuel in the car so i thought, Yay, commute to work :clap:

it was on this mornings ride that i found my front brake, (which had no visible damage to the eye, ear, or touch before taking it in) was now sounding like Steel on Steel while braking and just before a complete stop it sounds like a cracked cylinder head. Ok so now only the back brakes are to be used to get to work. No problem as the majority of the way is up hill ( but that means going home will be downhill with only back brakes :ph34r: ), further on i found that when i lean to the left on my bike it sounds and feels like something is scraping, i dont no what though.

As this has been the first bad thing that has happened to me with the LBS i though i would phone them and tel them, and i was expecting a simple " oh so sorry for that, bring it in and lets have a look", but instead i got a "well if you having that problem with your brake you will have to take it to where you bought it as i wont be able to do a warranty claim on that" from the owner himself. WTF!!! :cursing:

Needless to say i now want a second opinion and someone to go over my bike from head to toe. Was thinking about Tony Impey's as i'm in Alberton and he's in Bedfordview(13km away) but then i'm probably going to talk his ear off about Darryl and i'm sure he must be tired of people nagging at him about the TDF and Darryl already.

I remember there was a post somewhere about a guy in germiston(since the early 1980's) who had rave reviews and was thinking about that but dont have any details about him?

Any other suggestions?

There is always the Hub at Rietvlei but i dont know there work.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

further on i found that when i lean to the left on my bike it sounds and feels like something is scraping, i dont no what though.tighten your skewer, and do and alignment of the calipers (easy process)

Might be a bit far...but Tour De Frans in Boksburg, Jaco and Dewalt are always good to me. Good value and I am always happy with their work when I get my bike back.

So, by reading between the lines, are we to assume that Just Cycles is in fact, the offending party?

Just guessing.

on the ball, is this Falco.

Try get yourself some basic maintainence courses or ask as may questions when the mech is busy as you can so that you empower yourself for the future.

Its only a bike, and if you duff something, there is always another LBS to assist.

Dude take it to Rietvlei. The guys at just cycles are a bunch of elitist pricks. Went there when i was looking to buy my first bike and when the guy heard me say "entry level" he suddenly showed no interest. I ended up spending my 20K at Kayalami Cycles.

So, by reading between the lines, are we to assume that Just Cycles is in fact, the offending party?

Just guessing.

Correct, Just Cycles = Said LBS

Like i said before, this was the first time i've had bad service from them, and i know that everybody makes mistakes and has bad days,so i wont blast them for that. HOWEVER i am a strong believer in customer service and my standards weren't met and that means i wont spend my hard earned cash there again.

So my Momsen 2014 AL229 Bike which is the best thing to ever happen to me, (dont tell my wife and Kids) needed to go to the LBS.

post-46817-0-29890700-1382610088_thumb.jpg

The gears kept jumping / slipping while changing and the final straw was when i got out the saddle and the chain jumped off and got stuck between the chainstay and cassette, which caused my knee and handlebar to connect solidly.

So in it went, i pointed out to the LBS that the rear wheel slightly catches the brake discs but not majorly. No problem with the front.

When i went and picked up my bike my saddle was loose enough for two dwarfs to play see-saw on. my seat post was lowered too, now i'm no mechanic but what are they doing up there on my bike when the problem is on the gears at the back? (maybe there stand clamped on the seat post )

I let it go and was charged for gear setting, and brake disc aligning for the rear and the front. But the front was fine , i let it go and thought maybe i just dont know it but there was a problem. On the way out i asked the owner what the tyre pressure should be and he said 3Bar all round. :eek:

Rode my bike but wasn't happy, thought maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

This morning i hand no fuel in the car so i thought, Yay, commute to work :clap:

it was on this mornings ride that i found my front brake, (which had no visible damage to the eye, ear, or touch before taking it in) was now sounding like Steel on Steel while braking and just before a complete stop it sounds like a cracked cylinder head. Ok so now only the back brakes are to be used to get to work. No problem as the majority of the way is up hill ( but that means going home will be downhill with only back brakes :ph34r: ), further on i found that when i lean to the left on my bike it sounds and feels like something is scraping, i dont no what though.

As this has been the first bad thing that has happened to me with the LBS i though i would phone them and tel them, and i was expecting a simple " oh so sorry for that, bring it in and lets have a look", but instead i got a "well if you having that problem with your brake you will have to take it to where you bought it as i wont be able to do a warranty claim on that" from the owner himself. WTF!!! :cursing:

Needless to say i now want a second opinion and someone to go over my bike from head to toe. Was thinking about Tony Impey's as i'm in Alberton and he's in Bedfordview(13km away) but then i'm probably going to talk his ear off about Darryl and i'm sure he must be tired of people nagging at him about the TDF and Darryl already.

I remember there was a post somewhere about a guy in germiston(since the early 1980's) who had rave reviews and was thinking about that but dont have any details about him?

Any other suggestions?

There is always the Hub at Rietvlei but i dont know there work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy in Germistons' name is George of Mean Machine Cycles.

cnr President & Oosthuizen str

tel. 011 825 4621

Very helpful and knowlegeable

Quite easy to adjust your disk brakes to get rid of the scraping.. and who the hell charges for disk brakes alignment? Is that normal? Never been charged for that ever...

Sounds like you need to go get a bike fit done.. knee on handlebar doesnt sound very good, but you may not be clipped in?