Need a new LBS

ScottCM

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately you're too far from Cycle Factory, they would've have sorted your problems out one time!

Yip, of that i have no doubt :thumbup:

those darn pesky customers......

You get good customers and bad customers. The guy who spends a small amount with you, but will claim to "have shares" in the shop, or "I pay your salary", is the most troublesome and most likely to ask for discount. I've been asked for discount on a R25 set of brake pads before. Your (few) loyal customers get offered a good discount without asking for it.

I don't expect anything from my LBS except that they do things right the first time, if I have to return my bike to have something fixed, or if the mechanic speaks bullsh1t to me (like one did, telling me that my shimano hubs don't need labyrinth seals), I'll not return, you know how far I am from EL. The reason I do all of my own work now, but the one LBS owner is starting to impress me with his work, but now that I have the tools and the knowledge, why must I transport my bike 100km to have it seen to?

I get that. And you are a person who is technically adept. It's not an unreasonable expectation that you have to get things done right first time. But, there is a thread needed for some of the weird complaints bike shops get...

You get good customers and bad customers. The guy who spends a small amount with you, but will claim to "have shares" in the shop, or "I pay your salary", is the most troublesome and most likely to ask for discount. I've been asked for discount on a R25 set of brake pads before. Your (few) loyal customers get offered a good discount without asking for it.

100% agree with you Tumbleweed, in the same way that you get good bike mechanics and bad bike mechanics.

I have a Momsen SL629, and if it's something I can't fix myself I take it to The Cycle Hub at Rietvlei.

Graham rides himself and there is probably nothing his staff and him can't sort out.

He can even bleed Magura brakes, which is almost as good as turning water into wine.

What, a Momsen 229, not a real bike.

It's more bike then more of the overpriced bikes available.

F A C T ! ! !

Edited by ScottC-M

Take the initiative, went to the shops yesterday and saw Bicycling have issued a MTB magazine which includes tips on maintenance, repairs, training, riding etc i.e. a lot of what you need to know.

Costs R50.

Take the initiative, went to the shops yesterday and saw Bicycling have issued a MTB magazine which includes tips on maintenance, repairs, training, riding etc i.e. a lot of what you need to know.

Costs R50.

Didn't think you would need that big guy :eek:

Yeah i saw that yesterday, i bought it immediately, they way i see it , every little bit of knowledge helps.

Guest Hollow Man

My LBS is the best.

I never have an issue.

It would be mine too, but it's lacking in the " L" department for me unfortunately; I have to pack the passport & get jabs to go there. :/

Guest Hollow Man

It would be mine too, but it's lacking in the " L" department for me unfortunately; I have to pack the passport & get jabs to go there. :(

* Note: When one loses one's L from one's LBS, one gets left with just the BS. I'm thinking that this would not be good for one or one's bicycle.

Didn't think you would need that big guy :eek:

You've seen my skills in action at Thaba and you still say that :w00t:

No, i did not buy it but for a newbie it looks very handy.

Edited by scotty

Yeah i saw that yesterday, i bought it immediately, they way i see it , every little bit of knowledge helps.

Another thing... Always take your bike for a test ride before you pay / leave the LBS

Bike mechanics are human, mistakes and *** happens and IF it does its much easier to sort out while your still there