Dear Giant...

Iwan Kemp

"The newest member of the award-winning Trance X family is this all-new 29er. The premium ALUXX SL frameset has been tuned to match the performance benefits of lager 29-inch wheels. At its core: proven Maestro Suspension plus a host of frame technologies including the OverDrive 2 steerer tube and PowerCore bottom bracket. Whether you’re climbing or descending, pinning it at speed or crawling through technical terrain, there’s no better way to own the trail."

"Everything you love about the original Trance X trail bike—handcrafted ALUXX SL aluminum frame, trail-taming Maestro Suspension and stable geometry—re-engineered for 29-inch wheels. Smoother, faster, always in control."

- Giant on the Trance 29er, 2013

Sorry ... could not make out what that was all about through the marketing POOP

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crow, I agree, the Giant guy is a giant pain!

Look at all the reps though,when they talk, and look particularly at what they do with their eyes when they make a statement. The way they close their eyes, blink, look up and left or down and right. This tells me there is a lot of fabrication and lying going on. I will treat most of the statements with great suspicion purely on the body language alone.

The only thing more assanign than that Giants dudes comments, is you guys getting all worked up about it .. AGAIN.

No one actually cares what wheel size we ride.

This is just Marketing 101 on their side, and the more hype around it, the more effective the marketing.

It's mountain biking's version of Beep Bank.

And in closing your royal highness, I give you exhibit D from Giant Bike's YouTube channel: Developing the Ultimate Trail Bike. (Spoiler alert: it's the 2013 Trance X 29)

http://youtu.be/Jwe6tNc9TMs

Ultimate trail bike? Big wheels? I think they may have their disciplines mixed up.

Thing is, they're big enough to be able to strongarm the whole industry into following them. Well, not the whole industry but certainly enough that there will be enough choice of 650b kit in a far shorter time than it took for 29 to be adopted wholesale.

The downside for folk like me who, for one, know that a new bike's going to help me far less than a whole lot of sessioning on a Sunday arvi, and for two can't afford to buy into the next best thing every year (and even if I could, last year's bike will still work fine...) is that tyres will become (and are already becoming) harder and harder to find. Nevermind the LBS, even the agents aren't bringing them in to the country anymore.

Fortunately there are a few distributors who realise that choice is still a useful selling point, and I'll gladly support them over the rest. I reckon the guys who try to shove their choice down the throats of the general public, in whatever field, are likely to catch a beating soon enough.

No one actually cares what wheel size we ride.

You've obviously missed about 300 threads on thehub ;-)

Ultimate trail bike? Big wheels? I think they may have their disciplines mixed up.

Thing is, they're big enough to be able to strongarm the whole industry into following them. Well, not the whole industry but certainly enough that there will be enough choice of 650b kit in a far shorter time than it took for 29 to be adopted wholesale.

The downside for folk like me who, for one, know that a new bike's going to help me far less than a whole lot of sessioning on a Sunday arvi, and for two can't afford to buy into the next best thing every year (and even if I could, last year's bike will still work fine...) is that tyres will become (and are already becoming) harder and harder to find. Nevermind the LBS, even the agents aren't bringing them in to the country anymore.

Fortunately there are a few distributors who realise that choice is still a useful selling point, and I'll gladly support them over the rest. I reckon the guys who try to shove their choice down the throats of the general public, in whatever field, are likely to catch a beating soon enough.

Been an issue for a while now and even when they were bringing in a decent amount of 26'er tyres if you found a 2.25" tyre you were lucky!

You've obviously missed about 300 threads on thehub ;-)

lol, you've missed a few. There have been about 343 so far.

That's why I cant believe we still find the strength to argue about - Yep, me included, Here I am posting.

The only thing more assanign asinine than that Giants dudes comments,

If you gonna throw sticks, at least sharpen the ends first. Spelling is actually important. Credibility101. ;)

maybe the mistake was deliberate

perhaps, but i've missed any play on words or spelling... irrespective, mine's not a serious dig. just following the thread derailment..

Been an issue for a while now and even when they were bringing in a decent amount of 26'er tyres if you found a 2.25" tyre you were lucky!

Stoke to the rescue... we'll be stocking as many normal size trail tyres as we can get our grubby little paws on as soon as we can...

Archived