Dear Giant...

Iwan Kemp

Yeah I know... same head angle, shorter travel and a bit lighter. In 650b. It's uber sexy.

But then as I said - it'd have to be more special than my existing one. And not much is more special.

Even if I had to swop it outright I'd have a tough time of it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find frustrating with all of this is that we can't actually test ride all the bikes in South Africa (that often).

I am trying to choose between a 650b or 29er. The obvious solution is to take both bikes to Tokai for a morning, test both on climbs, rough corregated road, single track downhill, a few drops and make up your own mind.

But we don't have this opportunity.

I'm in the same boat as you, Luckily I got to test ride a 29er at the Cycle fair on Saturday, which I didn't enjoy, One of the biggest issues I found was the inertia to get the bigger wheel rolling, especially if you come to a complete stop on a slight incline and it was a carbon bike so wasn't even heavy.. My current 26 is heavy and is a cheaper bike, so I'm looking to upgrade everything mainly frame, groupset and fork and I'm really thinking that the 650B is middle ground and the way to go for the type of riding I do..

Thanks, I appreciate that you are not telling me about some bike other than a new Anthem in all sizes except medium at Oplympic Cycles. Thank goodness they don`t have one of the models I must have:

http://www.giant-bic....1/16924/71473/

http://www.giant-bic....1/16923/71476/

Best you don't got to CWC, cause they do have an Anthem in a medium, I drooled over it on Saturday, very nice looking bike in the flesh. :drool:

I'm really thinking that the 650B is middle ground and the way to go for the type of riding I do..

I'm gonna keep saying this again and again because the "middle ground" myth needs to be debunked and people need to buy stuff armed with knowledge.

650B is NOT the middleground - it's just over a third (40%) of the way from 26" to 29".

26" is 559mm

650B is 584mm

29" is 622mm

So - in theory - this would suggest that:

650B carries about 40% of the total weight penalty that 29er does.

650B has about 40% of the extra grip 29er offers.

650B offers 40% of the roll over benefits that 29er offers.

650B has about 40% of the laziness and reduced acceleration that 29er does.

650B has about 40% of the additional momemtum that 29er has.

Yes I am being pedantic but too many companies (like Giant) spew the "the best of both worlds" line and it simply isn't true.

Factually speaking 650A would be the best compromise.

In my opinion people buy wheels arse about face. They're asking "which size wheel is the best" instead of asking "which size wheel is best for my attributes and riding terrain".

The wheel is supposed to fit you - you're not supposed to fit the wheel.

Ok rant over (until next time).....

In my opinion people buy wheels arse about face. They're asking "which size wheel is the best" instead of asking "which size wheel is best for my attributes and riding terrain".

Bingo

I agree and I think that the wheels of the new Anthem will fit me just perfectly.

Notes to myself:

1. Must sell some of my other bikes before I get the new Anthem.

2. Must avoid CWC, Olympic Cycles and Williams Bike Shop until point 1 has been executed.

3. Must get the new Anthem asap!

I'm gonna keep saying this again and again because the "middle ground" myth needs to be debunked and people need to buy stuff armed with knowledge.

650B is NOT the middleground - it's just over a third (40%) of the way from 26" to 29".

26" is 559mm

650B is 584mm

29" is 622mm

So - in theory - this would suggest that:

650B carries about 40% of the total weight penalty that 29er does.

650B has about 40% of the extra grip 29er offers.

650B offers 40% of the roll over benefits that 29er offers.

650B has about 40% of the laziness and reduced acceleration that 29er does.

650B has about 40% of the additional momemtum that 29er has.

Yes I am being pedantic but too many companies (like Giant) spew the "the best of both worlds" line and it simply isn't true.

Factually speaking 650A would be the best compromise.

I know its not the middle ground to be precise, thanks for explaining so nicely, I think I used the term middle because its in between the 26 and the 29 and 40% is very close to half, I also think most people will refer to it as the middle to avoid long explanations.. :D

Totally agree Giant shouldn't sell it as the best of both and also agree with the sentiment about asking what wheel size is right for you and the type of riding you do, Hence I'm settling on the 650B (AKA - Just over 40% of the way from 25 to 29)

I agree and I think that the wheels of the new Anthem will fit me just perfectly.

Notes to myself:

1. Must sell some of my other bikes before I get the new Anthem.

2. Must avoid CWC, Olympic Cycles and Williams Bike Shop until point 1 has been executed.

3. Must get the new Anthem asap!

Best you start selling :ph34r:

I know its not the middle ground to be precise, thanks for explaining so nicely, I think I used the term middle because its in between the 26 and the 29 and 40% is very close to half, I also think most people will refer to it as the middle to avoid long explanations.. :D

Totally agree Giant shouldn't sell it as the best of both and also agree with the sentiment about asking what wheel size is right for you and the type of riding you do, Hence I'm settling on the 650B (AKA - 40% bigger than 26er)

Go for it - 40% bigger than 26" is 782.6mm - thats the fabled 31.3" wheel everyone will soon be talking about Lol.

Go for it - 40% bigger than 26" is 782.6mm - thats the fabled 31.3" wheel everyone will soon be talking about Lol.

LOL, fixed that..

So the new debate will be

26er VS 650B VS 29er VS 31.3

"31.3 has the best roll over of any wheel size that we have tested, And that is why we feel this is the perfect wheel size" - Giant 2014

what utter garbage..talk about arse about face...

Right. I'm in for this mammoth bike test. But let's do it proper. I'll check with Mobi if they will be willing to "lend" us three timing devices for the day. We'll divide the climb to the top of Cobra into sectors and all of the single track back down as well. Heart rate devices for all riders will have to be a requirement as well.

By doing this we'll be able to 100% pin point where which bike is faster and where it's losing out to the others. I propose a kitty to get all three Anthems or Trances or whatever model on the same tyres for the day. Control wheelset would be even better, but thst will be quite difficult to pull off.

If anyone out there is fastest to the top on anything other than the 29er I will eat my giant fat words and turd a 26" bike on the spot. And as long as we compare Trance to Trance and Anthem to Anthem I'm pretty damn sure the 29er will be fastest on its way down as well. At the very least top 2.

A guy who's fast around corners and through berms will be whether on a 26" bike or a 29er. The guy, on a bike with Anthem or Trance travel, who will benefit from quick accelerating wheels in Tokai is a guy who brakes too much to begin with and no wheelsize will change that. 26" will make it easier on the legs, but working on technique instead will solve the real issue.

What we need to do though is get guys who have ridden 29ers so there will be no skewing of the results by having to adapt first. Yeah, let's also just ride, but opinions and "feelings" will overshadow real data.

Right. I'm in for this mammoth bike test. But let's do it proper. I'll check with Mobi if they will be willing to "lend" us three timing devices for the day. We'll divide the climb to the top of Cobra into sectors and all of the single track back down as well. Heart rate devices for all riders will have to be a requirement as well.

By doing this we'll be able to 100% pin point where which bike is faster and where it's losing out to the others. I propose a kitty to get all three Anthems or Trances or whatever model on the same tyres for the day. Control wheelset would be even better, but thst will be quite difficult to pull off.

If anyone out there is fastest to the top on anything other than the 29er I will eat my giant fat words and turd a 26" bike on the spot. And as long as we compare Trance to Trance and Anthem to Anthem I'm pretty damn sure the 29er will be fastest on its way down as well. At the very least top 2.

A guy who's fast around corners and through berms will be whether on a 26" bike or a 29er. The guy, on a bike with Anthem or Trance travel, who will benefit from quick accelerating wheels in Tokai is a guy who brakes too much to begin with and no wheelsize will change that. 26" will make it easier on the legs, but working on technique instead will solve the real issue.

What we need to do though is get guys who have ridden 29ers so there will be no skewing of the results by having to adapt first. Yeah, let's also just ride, but opinions and "feelings" will overshadow real data.

I like the layout of your paragraphs and some of the words you use are really cool too, but this book below is better coz it has pictures.

Archived