Attakwas - 2014

jugheaddave

oh common guys, please give us a decent ride report? tell us about your ride, not that it was just done, add some details, route descriptions.

juicy gory details :)

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasnt nervous going into it coz i had no idea what to expect. i loved the first 60km but went too easy in the first hour or two because so many people had said to pace myself. overdoing the pacing meant i came in at 7.03 which I'm really annoyed about. i wanted to get inside 7 even if only by a minute. we were so lucky with the weather, not too hot at all and i even got a bit cold at one point though not for long.

that infamous rocky descent really wasnt that bad.. I'm not sure why people worry about it so much!

it was incredibly long..the last 20km were especially bad for me as i was starting to realise id be over 7 hours and riding all alone on bumpy gravel road was just a bit miserable.

the scenery was great for the first 60km and it was amazing how it changed over the course of the route.

its impressive how little tar was on the route, just wouldn't be possible to do a race like that in england..

hopefully il be able to be here next year to do it again and definitely go sub 7.

Atta number 4 done, 7:30. With my pedal coming off the spinal in the last 20km so it was a single leg strategy to limp home.

That's the third Shimano XtR pedals that have broken like that. 1 per year. Wtf

lekker , i saw you riding with one legs still passed you and said good luck or something like that to you

Well done for finishing the race

i wasnt nervous going into it coz i had no idea what to expect. i loved the first 60km but went too easy in the first hour or two because so many people had said to pace myself. overdoing the pacing meant i came in at 7.03 which I'm really annoyed about. i wanted to get inside 7 even if only by a minute. we were so lucky with the weather, not too hot at all and i even got a bit cold at one point though not for long.

that infamous rocky descent really wasnt that bad.. I'm not sure why people worry about it so much!

it was incredibly long..the last 20km were especially bad for me as i was starting to realise id be over 7 hours and riding all alone on bumpy gravel road was just a bit miserable.

the scenery was great for the first 60km and it was amazing how it changed over the course of the route.

its impressive how little tar was on the route, just wouldn't be possible to do a race like that in england..

hopefully il be able to be here next year to do it again and definitely go sub 7.

Leona, you really seem to be making good use of your stay in SA, first Sabie X and now Attakwas. I surmise that the Epic is your goal, correct?

Copperhead what bike and clothing did you ride with we must have ridden together in the end

I was riding with blue garmen sharp clothes and white oakleys

I took some cellphone pics of the cyclists when they exited the park at the start of the mini atta race and some panaromic shots standing on the hill left of where cyclists came in towards the finish line.

post-32865-1390136164,2162.jpgpost-32865-1390136195,8422.jpgpost-32865-1390136222,4993.jpgpost-32865-1390136250,9261.jpgpost-32865-1390136291,1032.jpgpost-32865-1390136308,9385.jpgpost-32865-1390136330,5194.jpgpost-32865-1390136350,2964.jpg

I had such a fun time out there, no mechanicals or bails. Cycled with Cherise Stander for a while. She had a hard fall on the rocky descent before the spur water point, got up and continued riding. I think she pulled out about 10km later.

Greg, where u being crazy and riding with 1 gear?

I spoke to him at Trail of Origins, says he raced motocross before and was in America and broke his leg or foot and could not ride at that level any more and came home and sat with his coach and trainer who has has been his coach for the last 6 years or something and they decided to go MTB and the rest is history.

This youngster has a very big future ahead of him and seems to be in good hands by the looks of it.

Yep, S2S are enjoying coaching the guy, his numbers and technical ability are ridiculous for someone so new to the sport. 6 mtb events done and won or podiumed nearly all of them.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

No there was prizes for all 3. He should contact them. Originally there was no prizes but because the masters veld was so big they decided to give them prizes.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess he missed prize giving , because he was told there were no prizes for them. Will let him know.

Leona, you really seem to be making good use of your stay in SA, first Sabie X and now Attakwas. I surmise that the Epic is your goal, correct?

yeah epic. i started it in 2013 but crashed really badly on day 4 and tho i finished the stage i couldn't carry on the next day. loving marathon racing. its just not possible in england.

yeah epic. i started it in 2013 but crashed really badly on day 4 and tho i finished the stage i couldn't carry on the next day. loving marathon racing. its just not possible in england.

Well here's hoping you have a better one in 2014 and enjoy the marathon scene. I guess that there is very little happening this time of year in the UK.

no, there are races but theres no marathon really at any point in the year. due to some weird right of way law, although you can have organised rides on public rights of way, you cant race on them so there is only 1 actual marathon race and that is the national champs.

there are too many people in england and not enough space so all the land is owned and its all agricultural so you're never going to let farmers open up their gates and let people race on their land. its all xco in england really.

no, there are races but theres no marathon really at any point in the year. due to some weird right of way law, although you can have organised rides on public rights of way, you cant race on them so there is only 1 actual marathon race and that is the national champs.

there are too many people in england and not enough space so all the land is owned and its all agricultural so you're never going to let farmers open up their gates and let people race on their land. its all xco in england really.

Wow, that just gives us an insight as to how lucky we are in SA. Good luck and I look forward to rooting for you in March.