How to decide if i should get a road bike

Active Monkey

My main disiple is MTB.

I cimmute

Do trails

Do races monthly

However here is my issue.

When i do road races like 94.7 i swap to slicks on the mtb.

So to save the effort every time and on buying new slime for my tubless.. Would i benefit from buying a road bike?

Im looking at a 4999 scott speedster 60. Entry level and basic.

Will my road race speeds and times improve?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, another MTB'er wanting to get a road bike. Your speed and times should improve I would imagine, my commute to work is definitely quicker then when I was on my mountain bike.

I've only been riding my road bike for 5 days now, which is also a fairly entry level bike and it was money well spent in my opinion.

Getting a road bike will:

Offer variety to your riding experience

Improve your performance on the road during races

Offer tempo work opportunity when training on the road which will boost your MTBing.

Remember that all the MTB professionals spend hours on their road bikes building endurance and tempo

I also have a MTB Scott spark 940 and do road races. I have 2 wheel sets one for MTB and one for the road with slicks and a Shimano 105 cassette 11-28T. But in still slower than my friends on their road bikes. I'm also thinking of getting a road bike. We have to look at a carbon bike with good wheels and a minimum of a 105 groupset Starting price R14000.

The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 where n is your current amount of bikes so it's a no brainier really.

And I slashed 30 minutes off my Argus time with a roadbike.

Listen to this guy, anyone with a Campy tattoo avatar is to be trusted implicitly. No, I'm serious! Really! :thumbup:

Just do it!

I don't commute, nor do training on the road (have done so about 4 times, but alone) - I love the race or two (okay a few more than that) that I have done already.

If it was safer to ride on the road and if I had a few people to ride with I would do it more often.

I also have a MTB Scott spark 940 and do road races. I have 2 wheel sets one for MTB and one for the road with slicks and a Shimano 105 cassette 11-28T. But in still slower than my friends on their road bikes. I'm also thinking of getting a road bike. We have to look at a carbon bike with good wheels and a minimum of a 105 groupset Starting price R14000.

For R5000 you can buy a good second hand roadbike right here on the Hub that will run circles around any mountainike. (Given the same legs.) Just do it! Now!

For R5000 you can buy a good second hand roadbike right here on the Hub that will run circles around any mountainike. (Given the same legs.) Just do it! Now!

Good idea is there still enough time to get a use to new bike before the 94.7. I was looking at a Scott speedster with 105 group set the other day when I walked passes Cajees Maybe its a goodtime to buy now, with the exchange rate bikes are going to cost more next year Edited by F111

The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 where n is your current amount of bikes so it's a no brainier really.

And I slashed 30 minutes off my Argus time with a roadbike.

or s-1. where S is the number of bikes where you other half will kick you out the house.

Do it. I road my first road race with my mtb as is. Got very frustrated not being able to keep up. Bought a 2nd hand roadbike on thehub for under R5k and have never looked back(still ride mtb mainly). My 2005 Rellie has even completed 2 x Ironman with slapon TT bars.

I went through the same decision making process a few weeks back when I decided to enter the 94.7 on the last day... A week later I made up my mind and bought a 2013 Merida Race Lite 903, a 60km and 100km race under the belt and I'm loving it... I get dirty during the week and Saturday's on the mtb, then hit a road race on a Sunday... Just needed to get used to those thin wheels and remember to steer around potholes and not through them. Also went for a bike fit straight away, to avoid any set-up issues, fitted the same pedals as my mtb and haven't had any issues... Enjoy it

post-25934-1383215041,3222.jpg

Well there it is. Cost me under 5 and will be my road race bike. Will still use my MTB as main one

What groupset and what year model

Ok I'm all for buying new bikes but if you're not really into racing road then build a pair of "road wheels" for your mtb.

Mtb hubs laced to road rims. Some 25mm road tyres and boom - same position as your mtb but smooth and faster. Lock out the shock(s).

One year I rode Sun City mtn and road races like that. The roadies love it when you ride with them on your mtb.