Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

The next morning we struck camp at first light and started the 12 hour drive home. I didn't mind the goat-stops on the way to Alexander Bay, but the Stop-Go thingsĀ  at Klawer, on a Saturday when they are not working, got my goat! See, not even back home and I already got impatient and grumpy! I should go stay in the Richtersveld!

post-17716-0-35509700-1507470910_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-90509400-1507470927_thumb.jpg

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The next morning we struck camp at first light and started the 12 hour drive home. I didn't mind the goat-stops on the way to Alexander Bay, but the Stop-Go things at Klawer, on a Saturday when they are not working, got my goat! See, not even back home and I already got impatient and grumpy! I should go stay in the Richtersveld!

Thanks for the read and the pics. Looks like a jol!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my goodness..The Bass Fishing bug has bitten in our house...it is now becoming a weekly adventure.. Mom however doesn't get invited to go with [emoji848]

Ā 

Never before has hubby been so keen to take the eldest through to his late Friday afternoon HP training in Potch..why.. because the dam is 3km from the Astro.. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Ā 

Ā 

So any tips I can pass on to these lot will be welcomed.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

..................So any tips I can pass on to these lot will be welcomed.

Largemouth Bass love structure because they are ambush predators. So, you will almost always find them right in the reeds, in the water grass or around dead tree stumps. They hide and pounce on anything smaller that innocently happens past.Ā 

Ā 

That means that you want to cast your fly almost into the reeds. So, use flies with weed guards to prevent your hook from getting stuck too often. What I do is to try land the fly within a ruler length from the structure, wait a few seconds , then retrieve it with short sharp pulls. Imagine a big moth falling in the water, laying still for a few seconds, then periodically struggling to escape. The first splash gets the Bass' attention, the little twitches let it zoom in on it. If it likes what it sees, it will grab your fly with massive aggression and you will have no doubt about what just happened. But especially with sinking flies, the take can be subtle, so, if in any doubt, strike! Use a few different types of fly, floating frog or mouse type deer hair imitations and sinking baitfish or insect nymph types.

Ā 

Bass are most active at dawn and dusk. The hour from sunset to dark is often the most productive. In low light conditions they sometimes come out of hiding and hunt in the shallows right under your feet. Meaning, look close also, because if you don't they will spook. This type of action can be fantastic, adrenalin fueled fun.

Ā 

Ā 

Having said all that, I cannot claim to be a Bass expert, they have proved me wrong waaaaay too many a time. :blush:

We saw an amazing congregation of Mudfish, literally a hundred or more, all big ones, spawning in the extreme shallows, totally oblivious to our presence. I had to read up a little, and learnt something new: When they are ready to spawn, they turn a much darker grey, almost blueish, black colour. The rest of the year they are much lighter grey, almost silvery.

Terribly underrated species on fly.

Terribly underrated species on fly.

Stronger than yellows, and definitely put up a bigger fight, but difficult to get to take a fly. Almost all mine were caught while targeting smallmouth yellows and a fair percentage were foul hooked as well, meaning that they did not try to eat the fly.

Stronger than yellows, and definitely put up a bigger fight, but difficult to get to take a fly. Almost all mine were caught while targeting smallmouth yellows and a fair percentage were foul hooked as well, meaning that they did not try to eat the fly.

Yeah, many foul hooks but if you get it right they are a blast. Far better fight than SM yellows.

Okay it's not fly fishing..so sorry for the little high jack..but the males in the house finally invited me to go with bass fishing this afternoon.. man that was fun... I don't even have a rod but my one son asked me to hold his rod while he quickly did something..within 2 min I caught my first bass... needless to say I am hooked and can't wait to go again

Ā 

86948736c71bdb98090c9013ae32672e.jpg

Ā 

Oh needless to say I told hubby I think he needs to start tying flies again so we can dust off the fly fishing kit and go fly fishing again...cause they say bass fishing on fly can be really fun.

Ā 

Oh needless to say I told hubby I think he needs to start tying flies again so we can dust off the fly fishing kit and go fly fishing again...cause they say bass fishing on fly can be really fun.

Ā 

Bass fishing is always fun, regardless of tackle. More so with flies though.

.................. needless to say I am hooked and can't wait to go again

Ā 

Ā 

My assistant is a very keen and capable rock & surf fisherwoman. She has won the western province womans league and many other competitions in the past. But somehow the guys always expect to catch more and bigger fish than her.........and she teaches them lesson after lesson. Recently she again won a false bay competition, not just the womans section, but the overall thing......and still the guys don't get it! :D

For Bass fishing I would scale down to ultra lite tackle. Makes the fight a bit more fun. Also lekker for Kurper and a Barbel on it is also awesome! Iā€™ve even gone ultra lite on the saltwater. Iā€™m enjoying it. Will try post some of my gopro pics if I can figure out how to make them smaller.

This being a fly-fishing thread I thought it appropriate to ask here...

Ā 

Where can one go to catch bass from the bank? Some place that offers catch and release at a decent price. I want to take my laaitie. Must be within an hour (or a bit more) from Pta.

Ā 

But this papgooi and wait is a waste of my time and patience (translated as "ek vang fokol"). I want something more interactive.

Ā 

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AnythingBut

given all the water issues in the cape, where is a good place to go bass / fly / hell just anything fish so the family can try get into it ?

Ā 

The local shop is useless - just want to sell you kit and then send you to the sea.

Ā 

As we know nothing about fishing we need to start. Mrs does not do the throw and wait, prefers the spinning type thing.