Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

The first stream outing of this crazy 2020. I missed the late season trout fishing because of April and May lock-down. Woke up a little late because I've been a bit under the whip lately, so the only beat available on any of the Cape Piscatorial Society controlled streams, was Bt 1 of the Holsloot, in the mountains near Rawsonville. I haven't been there for years and really enjoyed catching a few beauties. The Holsloot rainbows are a little darker in colour than our other streams, perhaps because the stream bottom is also darker? Sorry that I didn't take fishy pictures. The stream, mountains and flowers were truly beautiful today and I am so glad I fled the city for a few hours. I was a bit jealous passing a few groups of mountain bikers on the Stettynskloof road (Freedom Challenge peeps will know it) and I hope they noticed how politely I slowed the Landy down so as not to choke them with the dust cloud!

Jis this sounds and looks like a lekker day out. Thanks for sharing.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first stream outing of this crazy 2020. 

Man I miss the Cape Streams. Such rewarding fishing.

I also had my first outing two weeks ago, and had my best fishing day ever (so far)

YITRAfL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to have the entire weekend off, OK, got called out for 1 emergency, but still managed to spend a few hours on the stream. The Molenaars was flowing a little on the strong side to wade comfortably, but it was fishable and I stopped counting after about a dozen medium size rainbows. Of course I fell in first thing this morning and thought about hypothermia for a few minutes until the next fish rose to my dry fly and it was game ON again! Cold forgotten!

post-17716-0-22825200-1605444487_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-45172600-1605444503_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

December heat is starting to make itself felt. Caught 1 small largemouth bass on the Smalblaar where they are unwelcome. To be honest, they are pretty cool fish, and fun to catch, but we don't want them in the trout streams because they chow the trout fry. They only move up into trout waters in mid summer when the water gets warmer, so, to be honest, they are not a big problem there. A half dozen or so rainbow trout, all on dry flies, made it a fun morning, but I didn't fish well today. Somehow I missed too many strikes and had several that managed to shake the barbless hooks I use. The gale force Southeaster also blew my flies all over the place and made for very difficult casting. Had this beautiful dragonfly try to lay eggs on my wading staff (NOT a walking stick!) while I took a break for a snack and coffee.

post-17716-0-88113500-1608468825_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-31360000-1608468854_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-74244200-1608468875_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get all the Ds to join me for a hike up the Elandspad river in Dutoitskloof - even though they were not particularly interested in the trout fishing.

Under the tunnel bridge, at the start of our hike, I saw this bit of street art. I enjoy stuff like that, provided it is good, not just vandalism. This one made me think about art. There is something about the lightness and the fun-like nature of colourful balloons that can lift even a black heart! 

post-17716-0-60744400-1610280385_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

A few kilometres further upstream I came across this, a bit of an artwork as well. I balanced another little stone on top. What I like about this "sculpture", if you will, is that although it alters nature, it is fleeting and impermanent, and will return to nature then the stream floods with the first winter rains.

post-17716-0-18633000-1610280607_thumb.jpg

But the masterpiece of the day was this: No, not paint blotches on a rock! All totally created by nature itself - colourful lichens! The light and dark grey background is made of lichens too!

post-17716-0-48597600-1610280732_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

So, why all the arty farty stuff, since I'm supposed to post about fly fishing - because I blanked! Spooked a handful of fish, missed one take, got ignored multiple times, hooked more trees (bloody southeaster) and water grass than I can recall ever doing............so, I decided that the fishing was just "off" today! At least it was a good bit of exercise and a picnic with the Ds!

post-17716-0-00009300-1610281013_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Nice pics DJR! Thanks for sharing! Have you eaten Bass? Apparently it is quite nice.

Yes, largemouth bass is good eating. I've had that a few times. I don't know about smallmouth bass, but I would imagine that to be good also.

So, why all the arty farty stuff, since I'm supposed to post about fly fishing - because I blanked! Spooked a handful of fish, missed one take, got ignored multiple times, hooked more trees (bloody southeaster) and water grass than I can recall ever doing............so, I decided that the fishing was just "off" today! At least it was a good bit of exercise and a picnic with the Ds!

The saying “A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office” comes to mind. Looks like you had a lekker trip. I’m so used to blanking by now I sommer get excited to see other people fish pics.

Got this fellow on my 6 weight on the Vaal recently. I got smashed up by the previous 7 fish which were even bigger. It was a day to remember. The cats were starving!

Many moons ago someone told us a very good camp fire story about a guy who had a serious love of catching big barbel. Story goes that he worked out how to catch bigger and bigger ones.....bigger rods, bigger bait, stronger lines........progressed to getting help pulling them out.........to stakes the size of telephone poles knocked deep into the bank as anchors........and then one day he hooked the mother of them all and he knew he had to do something drastic because that was the ONE fish he didn't want to lose. So, he hooked it to his beloved Landy and they played tug of war for half a day..........until he got dragged into the water and had to abandon his car and swim for his life. Months later the police called him to say they found his Landy a  hundred kilometres downstream and got the mining company to pull it out with a bulldozer...........they found it still attached to a barbel that gave them quite a fight........but they managed to land it after a day, during which they came close to losing the dozer. Did he want to come and fetch his Landy? No he said, he wants his FISH!

Edited by DJR