What size chainring is good on 1x10?

Craigwt

Sometimes you take what you can get, not everyone can just go and buy whatever they want!

Easy there! I was just kidding! He got a sweet deal on that, and 1x10 with a narrow-wide rings is a worthy upgrade on any bike.

I am willing to put money on the table that he will ride the kiddie commenter silly on his kiddie blade.

I'd bet against me too! I push some uphills :lol:

I know NSBB Jr is a strong competitive rider... so I just thought a 32T might be somewhat limiting on the flat or down sections. Kinda like you said, when things get serious (races like Epic etc) you use a 38T.

Edited by patches

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

when things get serious (races like Epic etc) you use a 38T.

Yoh! That's strong.

Yoh! That's strong.

Not really, by the time you get to Epic you are fit and the legs are well trained, this is not your regular run around in the backyard training type of race.

Difference with most guys who do Epic and those on the Hub who talk about "what a big blade they area riding" is the Epic rider actually rides the hills instead of pushing their bike up a dirt road.

Not really, by the time you get to Epic you are fit and the legs are well trained, this is not your regular run around in the backyard training type of race.

Difference with most guys who do Epic and those on the Hub who talk about "what a big blade they area riding" is the Epic rider actually rides the hills instead of pushing their bike up a dirt road.

It's called cross training :ph34r:

...and then walk the tech downhills :whistling:

But yes, agreed. Although some of those Epic riders are far from the strength (leg-wise) that you are, when running a 38. And by the end of that 2nd / 3rd / 4th etc day they're looking for every little bit of advantage they can get.

Must say, that's why the Epic is still on my bucket list. Not because of the distance etc, but because I know I'll have to be mentally bulletproof to pull my ass along every. damn. day. And then, I'll welcome the 32 10-42 that my bike will be fitted with.

But yes, agreed. Although some of those Epic riders are far from the strength (leg-wise) that you are, when running a 38. And by the end of that 2nd / 3rd / 4th etc day they're looking for every little bit of advantage they can get.

Must say, that's why the Epic is still on my bucket list. Not because of the distance etc, but because I know I'll have to be mentally bulletproof to pull my ass along every. damn. day. And then, I'll welcome the 32 10-42 that my bike will be fitted with.

Not to stray too much, if people spent more time on a single speed they will realise how much of a variety of gears they actually have at their disposal.

Its called ghey

My knee would disagree.

Anyway. I digress. I don't walk the uphills, but when I have pushed up a section of ST to get a gauge of any changes and scope out the lines, I've been huffing and puffing at the top. So yes, it is cross training.

But yeah. 34 for me. 11-36 at the back, and for the riding I do, that's sufficient. I want to go 36 eventually, but will only do it when:

1: My 34 wears out

2: I've HTFU'd

3: I've lost a few

There are certain climbs that I just can.not.do on my 34 / 36 combo, but then anyone would have a problem on those in any gear. They are that bad. I can trundle up most hills, grinding away. Well, not now, not with the knee as it is, but when it's healed for sure.

Not to stray too much, if people spent more time on a single speed they will realise how much of a variety of gears they actually have at their disposal.

That's why I've kept my hardtail frame. Eventually (when I have the cash) I'm gonna set it up as a burly SS. 140mm fork, single speed.

Guest Omega Man

Yeah fair enough.

Depends on the rider I guess.

http://cdn1.coresites.mpora.com/bikemagic_new/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ce12_stg5_sm_09640.jpg

Depends on the rider I guess.

http://cdn1.coresites.mpora.com/bikemagic_new/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ce12_stg5_sm_09640.jpg

A perfect example of how my riding technique matches that of Christoph Sauser.

I knew him and I had something in common!

A perfect example of how my riding technique matches that of Christoph Sauser.

I knew him and I had something in common!

You can hill climb like Sauser and 'tail whip' like Schurter. I always knew you were a closet dirt roadie!